What did you want to be?

Sarah

When you were growing up - or maybe even now - what did you want to be when you grew up - are you doing what you wanted to do or are you totally off the track with where you thought you'd be?

Me - I always wanted to work with disabled children, my brother has severe brain damage and so went to a special needs school - (he's 23 now) i used to go and help out and work with the kids there - it was so rewarding :) I studied music, English and psychology at A level but due to having a major illness and 2 emergency operations in my final year, i didn't sit my exams, so i started working in accounts - miles away from what i wanted to do but i sit back and look and i really like my job and the people i work with :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well when i was young i always wanted to be a pilot, but one day when i was young, me and my family took the dogs for a walk up some mountain, and then all of a sudden 2 jets shoot over the top, and ever since then i have HATED planes so becoming a pilot was out of the question lmao

so since i got into school, done my A Levels in Electronics, ICT and design technology, i have always wanted to do something with electronics, then in my final year of A Levels i was Electrocuted my the pains power in my house ( hence called Sparks) but now im in uni doing Electronic and Electrical Engineering, so am now looking to become an engineer !!!!!!

Soz to Bore you all.......

i always wanted to be a ballerina............but my mum was a single mum growin up in the time of maggie thatcher so we had NOTHING........did a lot of dancing, gymnastics, singing and drama at school and wanted to either be a stage manager or in musicals when i realised i wouldn't be a prima ballerina..............

i did theatre studies, film studies, media studies, psychology and sociology for a and as levels...........

i applied for uni and was going to do english lit and theatre but then my best friend died, and i lost all my confidence and haven't been on stage since......i changed to criminology, law and sociology and now i'm training as of october to be a social worker..........and my dream is now to work in prisons as a key worker.

I also wanted to be a vet. Was on course through high school, taking all kinds of math and science classes. Then a man came alongrolleyes.gif and not a good one eithersad.gif. Ended up quitting high school in my final year, and going to work full time in factories.

At times I wish things were different but the decisions I made back then helped to make me what I am today so I just think all things happen for a reason. Both of my dogs came out of those 8 years of my life so I can't complainbiggrin.gif

Awww Diz hope one day you can get your confidence back xx

I have ALWAYS wanted to have my own yard and used to say one day i will compete in the olympics!! Well I am now a lecturer teaching Animal studies, which a few year ago I would have cringed at the thought!!

But I do now own 2 horses and am hoping to one day (maybe soon) run my own yard. So I may not get to the olympics but i hope to start competing soon and taking out my 4 year old:D xx

When I was younger I always wanted to be a vet or a farmer, Its because I love animals so much especially dogs and horses. I was never gonna be smart enough to be a vet but even if I was I dont think I could be. I would get to upset when animals were sick or past away.

On the bright side tho I still have time to become a farmer or even maybe marry one. He has to be hansome tho.

i always wanted to be a long distance lorry driver but went to college and studied I.T. after 2 years got bored and ended up in dead end jobs, gave them up to look after my terminally ill grandad when he passed away i applied to college and i am now studying to become a plumber just finishing my 1st year 2 more to go plus my gas as extra so god help you all when i pass lol

I have wanted to be many things...

A nurse

A vet

A firefighter

A herpetologist (herpetology - study of reptiles)

Dog trainer

A zookeeper

Im in college, studying animal management, I would love to work in a zoo, or kennels, tho the pay is crap for both :rolleyes:

Have just applied for a job wiping old peoples a*ses :blink:

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an engineer on a train. As I grew a few years older, loving to figure things out, I wanted to be a designer. So one of my first jobs was as a drafter. After a couple years, I was promoted to be a designer and designed packaging machines. Now? Now I'm technical writer and manage the publications department where I work. I write operator and parts manuals for some of those packaging machines I used to design.

I always wanted to be an artisit and paint science fiction and fantasy paperback covers.

my first job was as a projectionist at the cinema worked my way up to chief Projectionist of a 9 screen multiplex. . .an absolutely fantastic job.

distance and rising petrol costs meant I had to leave that (sigh)

since then I've delivered frozen food door to door

been a manager at a petrol station

been a cleaner

washed dishes in schools

worked trackside in a car factory

now in the same factory I sit in front of 6 PC's and keep the bodies moving correctly.

ALL a far cry from painting paperback covers.

I always wanted to be an archaeologist but for financial reasons couldn't. My parents enrolled me into secretarial school instead ???? Anyway, done that my whole life and hated it. I am now a stay at home mum to my two huskies and have a small stained glass studio instead. Looking back, archaeology would have been a bad (very) choice anyway, as I don't have the patience biggrin.gif