Papered or Not?

ssjx7squall

Ok well the other day i got a lot of crap from another sibe owner i ran into, he started asking me about Ellies lineage and i really wasnt able to tell him much. He went on and on about how since i dont have papers on her shes not a real husky etc.... I really bought her in the next town over from a couple who owned 2 huskys. The only one that had papers however was Ellies dad, her mom was a rescue husky but unfortunatly had no papers. Now to tell you the truth, there is no doubt in my mind that Ellie is a husky, her behavior her looks, and just well.... everything about her screams husky to me (although i do get annoyed when people around here seem to think shes a white german shepard). I guess what i was wondering, is since this is a site for husky owners how much papers mattered to you guys. I understand the value in them yes but for me I am happy with Ellie and have no doubts that she is purebread (and even if shes not its so close it really wouldnt matter. ) But ill ask again how much do you guys think papers matter?

Neither of my dogs have papers, Sampson was a stray and Nikita is a hybrid, and I have never been bothered about itsmile.gif. The only time papers really matter is if you are breeding, showing or racing (I think) your dog. I wouldn't worry about what other people have to say, some people just need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Actually iwas really proud of Ellie when we bumbed into that other husky.... I had just given her a bath so she looked real good, she was perfectly friendly where this other one was shy and slightly aggressive.... The first aggresive husky i had ever met. But thank you, i was just wondering what the general consensus was.

As long as your happy with your dog thats all that matters.

My two sibs arent registered but they came from kc reg parents the pups just werent registered. As Rachel said unless ur gonna show, race or breed theres no need. People have there own opinions. Papers don't matter to me and I dont care about what anyone things of me and my dogs. As long as there happy and im happy nothing else matters.

My boys are both registered and so have papers and the history that goes with it........to me the dog is more important than anything however as Rach said, breeding etc it's good to know what traits they may have or possible underlying illnesses that may become apparent in a different generation

A lot of members on here don't have registered dogs, some may be rehomes, some just didn't come with the papers.

You shouldn't breed really without them and you can't race in most clubs in the UK or show if they're not registered but at the end of the day - you have a happy healthy furbaby and that's the most important thing :) don't let others put you down x

Nope and honestly couldn't care less. I'm not going to breed him, nor race him. He looks like a husky, he acts like a husky, I've seen his mum, older sister and brother and they all look 100% husky to me so i'm fine with that. I no longer listen to other people who try to tell me what my dog is, because they're just idiots who think they know everything but really no nothing.

Yup, ive seen her mom, ive seen her dad, all her siblings. The people i bought her from showed me the website for the kennel where they got her father had the papers to back it up. Her grandfather was HUGE!!! dude could stand up on a six foot fence and look you in the face. Ellie has gotten some of that families size. Im not short and she can almost look me in the face on her hind legs, shes a little heavy for a female (40-50 pounds is the normal im told) and shes maybe 55 and looks thin (vet says shes perfect tho) The only abnormality i saw in her siblings was almost all of them had extra toes. Ellie had 1 extra one (no bone) that i had removed when she got spayed. One of her brothers had 2 on each paw!!! And truthfully i really have no intention of showing her, breeding her etc, i just want her to be happy and thats all that matters to me

Papers schmapers. Zoya came from a registered litter. But since we had no intention of showing or breeding her, we did not register her. So, technically, Zoya does not have papers. We could care less. Like Sarah said, if you did plan to show or breed, papers would be important.

As far as the "gentleman" who said if you don't have papers, you don't have a purebred. That's simply a blanket statement on his part, and blanket statements are seldom true in every situation.

He's right in a way in that without papers you have no proof your dog is a purebred, even if it is.

Papers alone aren't important when you have a pet, after all many rescue dogs won't have them. However when it comes to buying a pup, I will only buy from pedigree breeders. That they are pedigree breeders whose puppies always come with papers alone doesn't mean much to me, as there are dodgy pedigree breeders out there - BUT I have a high standard when it comes to choosing a breeder and so far I have never met one who meets my standards who isn't a pedigree breeder. If you are breeding knowing your dogs pedigree is essential, as is breeding registered dogs because without a pedigree nothing you breed can ever contribute to bettering the breed.

we were offered papers for daughtry at an extra cuppla hundred quid.

As we have no intention of breeding we wern't bothered

she's a pet.

We rehomed Darwin and have papers for him.

But wouldn't be bothered either way.

He's a pet

we love them just as much.

i used to get people asking me if my white was a GSD, in fact the only people who didn't where white GSD owners.

now we have another husky wolf grey people don't ask any more.

as for papers our white has them, but our grey is a huskamute, so no papers for her, although she looks closer to breed standard than our actual husky.

anyway i used to worry about micha being a full husky when she was younger, but after a while i realised i don't care, i love my dog so it doesn't matter.

i couldn't care in the slightest, ozzy is like a kid to me-and if that kid had issues i'd deal with them. he was a rescue so yep i have no papers but to be honest i'd get a rescue again....i dont see the point in paying for a purebreed with papers when there are sibes around that need a loving home that need a bit of TLC

Mine does have papers but that didn't really matter, all that mattered to me was, having kids, i wanted a young pup so i could be 100% on his background and he could be around them from early age and he was a sibe.

It is nice to be able to trace his background and one day i'll no doubt look into in more detail but after i have the paperwork will be put back in the cupboard and we'll carry on with life having him as our pet, registered or not we would have still chosen him. The breeder owned both parents so we had all the info we needed to know just by looking at them.

Our/your own pets are just that, ours/yours, who cares what some random thinks.

i have 3 and none with papers, 2 are rehome and 1 i got as a pup, i could have had his papers but had to pay more so did not bother. I only want him as a pet not to work. I did see his dad and mum pluss their paper so i know what he is i don't care what any one else says xxxx

I'd run a mile for any breeder who charged extra for puppies to have papers. Registering a pup so they can have papers doesn't cost much at all, here it's around $20. Anyone who charges extra for a pup to come with papers is ripping you off - it should be included in the purchase price.

its none ov thats bloke business what ur dogs linage is or if shes got papers - its actually kindda rude ov him 2 ask imo

my 2 have papers BUT if you dont want 2 breed work or show your dogs it doesnt matter - u love your dog wether shes got papers or not and thats all that matters :D