Nooks and me went walkies :)

AnnaB

OK so I went with Rob and Nooks on the midday walkies, I had to take the lead as Rob's back was bad, normally I don't take Nooks as many of you that have met him will know, he's a strong lad! And I'm not as strong as I used to be :)

OK so we set off, Nooks just generally being excited about being outside even though it's scorching today, and he was good as I took him down the steps outside our place. We carry on and he's only pulling a tiny bit as he was desperate for a wee lol and we walked on and stopped for a second so Nooks could have a treat for being an extremely good boy, he didn't even pull when he saw a Jack Russell up ahead :o

We get to the woods we normally cut through and he continued to behave :) walking nicely by my side as Rob was a way behind us and he only paused a couple of times to sniff at random trees (Nooks not Rob hehe). I have hold of the lead handle in my left hand and the end that clips onto his collar in my right so I have better control over him (get me! lol), i also try walking quicker which i find helps, and we come out of the woods by a gate that leads into some allotments and he crosses over the road nicely and we come to yet another part of the woods and he continues to behave and we pause- he gets another treat for behaving. We come out of the woods and come across an offlead black lab which Nooks wanted to say hello to but that was the only time he pulled badly for me today. (a gentle tug on the lead from Nooks feels like he's trying to rip your arm out of the socket lol) I then give the lead to Rob who takes him the rest of the way home, which wasn't far.

Nooks got lots of praise for being a good boy when we got in and he's pooped out now :D

I was quite chuffed seeing as it's Rob that takes him and he's not as used to me walking him, I have done a few times now and Rob tells me I'll be able walk him on my own soon....eeeek!!! At the moment I don't feel all that confident about going out with him on my own yet...but a round of applause is due for Nooks as it's taken us since October to get him how he is now, stupid previous owners had done little to no lead training with him whatsoever...

Don't get me started on them as I'll be ranting for ages but I thought that I would share this with you all :)

It's taken since October to get him like this Chezell, but Rob says it helps to keep on a very short leash and to walk with their head close to your leg, he used to split the journey into legs and hold a treat up to Nooks after a certain distance, give him the treat then repeat the process as he went..

Nooks also has a half check collar which also helps a bit :)