Husky Colouring

EmilyRose

Hi Im a new husky owner.

I got Leo in March so he is 7 months old now and i haven't really been able to say what his colour is.

When i first got him, we thought he was going to be a light red.. a few weeks later he went cream and brown. And now at 7 months, he's still going darker!

A vet said his colour is Sable. But im not really sure because i have heard that Sable coloured Huskys have Black noses and mouths and tips. Leo has a brown nose, mouth and tips.

His colour isn't really that important but im just curious.

He also has beautiful Green eyes which i haven't seen in a Husky before. : )

Also note, Im not 100% sure if he is completely pure bred. I got him from a backyard breeder, and the parents looked like husky's so that was good enough for me ; ) .

Just saying in case his colours might not be in pure bred huskys.

Here are a few photos:

13 Weeks

13 weeks

17 Weeks

6 Months

6 Months

haha i couldn't figure out how to post them with no link..

Hi Im a new husky owner.

I got Leo in March so he is 7 months old now and i haven't really been able to say what his colour is.

When i first got him, we thought he was going to be a light red.. a few weeks later he went cream and brown. And now at 7 months, he's still going darker!

A vet said his colour is Sable. But im not really sure because i have heard that Sable coloured Huskys have Black noses and mouths and tips. Leo has a brown nose, mouth and tips.

His colour isn't really that important but im just curious.

He also has beautiful Green eyes which i haven't seen in a Husky before. : )

Also note, Im not 100% sure if he is completely pure bred. I got him from a backyard breeder, and the parents looked like husky's so that was good enough for me ; ) .

Just saying in case his colours might not be in pure bred huskys.

Here are a few photos:

13 Weeks

13 weeks

17 Weeks

6 Months

6 Months

haha i couldn't figure out how to post them with no link..

Ha! lol. . . I thought this was a thread about Huskies colouring. . .

I was gonna say mine find it really hard to hold the crayons ohmy.gif

Ha! lol. . . I thought this was a thread about Huskies colouring. . .

I was gonna say mine find it really hard to hold the crayons ohmy.gif

Nice Pics tho'. . . yeah very few Huskies grow up with the same markings from puppy to adult. blink.gif

hes a gorgeous colour, looks pure husky to me. i think a lot of them seem to change colour, Suki is definatly different to when we first got her. Her records say grey and white, but her under coat is cream and her hairs go from cream at the roots to black at the ends.....:rolleyes:

Em Xx

Green is a perfectly normal eye colour in Sibes, it's just not very common.

Blue and green eyes are genetic mutations, in most animals, those with blue eyes have hearing problems as well because of the mutation in the gene. (Similar to how the same gene mutation that causes hairlessness in animals also controls teeth and how in humans, the gene that causes red hair also causes freckles so you don't have to have red hair to carry the red hair gene, just freckles.) However, Siberians generally have excellent hearing regardless of the frequency of blue eyes and heterochromia, which is rather unusual in the animal kingdom. Blue eyes in Siberians is a trait normally found in warmer climates, Siberians with more norther genetic heritage will usually have brown eyes. This is because brown filters out the most light and in northern climates, there is a lot of light that bounces off of the snow, so brown is a more naturally occurring colour in these areas unless bred differently.

On the flip side, Blue lets in the most light, so dogs that were taken from northern lines and bred in southern climates started to develop blue eyes to accommodate for the lack of need to filter out so much light bouncing into the eye. Green filters out more light than blue, but less than brown, this coupled with the chosen breeding prefered for blue eyes, has kept those with genetics for green eyes more suppressed wink.gif.

Green is a perfectly normal eye colour in Sibes, it's just not very common.

Blue and green eyes are genetic mutations, in most animals, those with blue eyes have hearing problems as well because of the mutation in the gene. (Similar to how the same gene mutation that causes hairlessness in animals also controls teeth and how in humans, the gene that causes red hair also causes freckles so you don't have to have red hair to carry the red hair gene, just freckles.) However, Siberians generally have excellent hearing regardless of the frequency of blue eyes and heterochromia, which is rather unusual in the animal kingdom. Blue eyes in Siberians is a trait normally found in warmer climates, Siberians with more norther genetic heritage will usually have brown eyes. This is because brown filters out the most light and in northern climates, there is a lot of light that bounces off of the snow, so brown is a more naturally occurring colour in these areas unless bred differently.

On the flip side, Blue lets in the most light, so dogs that were taken from northern lines and bred in southern climates started to develop blue eyes to accommodate for the lack of need to filter out so much light bouncing into the eye. Green filters out more light than blue, but less than brown, this coupled with the chosen breeding prefered for blue eyes, has kept those with genetics for green eyes more suppressed wink.gif.

Fantastic explanation Kristina. . .+1 rep biggrin.gif

Hi Emily and welcome to the site! You've got a beautiful sibe!

As for eye colour....I've never seen an adult sibe with green eyes. From my understanding, they eventually change to brown or amber/yellow as they grow into adults. But hey, I'm no expert, so who knows......

Thanks for the welcome and comments guys : )

Yeah many people comment on his colour

Also one more question. Do huskys have a time of year when they shed? If so about what time or is it different from husky to husky? Also does the climate affect the shedding? We're in Queensland, Australia if that helps