How far do you walk your Huskies?

Andy

I've always been curious as to whether I'm walking my huskies enough.

Coz the rule of thumb for an adult Sibe is approx 6 miles per day (so I've been led to believe)

So I found this great website

http://www.walkjogrun.net/

and it allows you to click and plot on Google maps exactly where you walk and it tells you how far it is.

and. . . I've discovered that our Poo relief walk is approx half a mile (they get about 4 of these per day)

a normal exercise walk is just short of 2 miles (they get 1 or 2 of these depending on work)

So mine get between 4 and 6 miles per day.

Oh, yeah and it tells you how many calories you've burned too. biggrin.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow!!!! well we dont walk a set route, we tend to run around the rugby fields!!!

we walk him for about an hour an evening but that involves sprinting too

then zoe our friend takes him to school and back for about an hour or 2 every couple of days

and then all weekend we're out and about, usually for 2-4 hrs...

he's never been destructive or anything so i'd assume he's ok with that!!

I use an iPhone app called walkmeter that pretty much automates what that site does by using the phones GPS to map the route. I have only been using it for the last 5 days as I too was curious as to how far our furbabies were walking. We are averaging about 6 miles a day during the week and after one weekend averaging 7.82 miles on a weekend.

I use an iPhone app called walkmeter that pretty much automates what that site does by using the phones GPS to map the route. I have only been using it for the last 5 days as I too was curious as to how far our furbabies were walking. We are averaging about 6 miles a day during the week and after one weekend averaging 7.82 miles on a weekend.

Hey Rob

I don't have an iPhone . . is it a free app or can you point a link to where you got it

coz I'm sure there are other iPhone users who might find it usefullaugh.gif

not sure of the exact distances Nooks gets walked..... but he gets walked first thing in the morning (think the route Rob takes him takes about an hour or so- don't quote me on that lol as i'm in bed still snoring my head off at that point haha), then he gets a midday walk (the distance depends on the route- again, normally abut an hour or so) and he goes to the dog park for a couple of hours in the evening (as it's cooler ofr him then) to run around off lead and play with his friends :)

Needless to say he gets plenty of exercise :D

I am normaly walking about an hour in the mornings then about two hours in the evening due to being cooler. In the winter it gets swopped round. Dont think Akia has alot of energy as Willow does she much prefers to laze about so think she gets enough. Willow would keep going all the time I am.....lol.

how far??????????????????? lmao ooooopppppppppssssssssss i defo do not walk shiloh that far- im only out with him for an hr in the evening :blink: cant go very far during day as have chloe on my own and he has started to drag me when we are out so i usually jst go around the block- takes 15-20mins

i feel bad now :angry:

LOL Nooks does more than his 6 miles a day, He gets 4-5 in the morning. He's just had another 5 this lunchtime and with the running round in the dp tonight he'll probs rack up another 2 or 3 miles, thats just an average day. Needless to say he's sleeps for pretty much the rest of the day.

how far??????????????????? lmao ooooopppppppppssssssssss i defo do not walk shiloh that far- im only out with him for an hr in the evening :blink: cant go very far during day as have chloe on my own and he has started to drag me when we are out so i usually jst go around the block- takes 15-20mins

i feel bad now :angry:

tamz dont forget shiloh is still young and not walking a long distance is fine at that age!!!! calm my dear!!!!!

Not really sure what it is in distance, but ours get walked 25 mins early morning, same at lunch time, then either an hours walk in the evening or a cycle ride, where we run them for about 25mins. At the weekends we walk them for about 2-3hrs at least per day. They are very calm during the day and just laze about in the garden, so I assume this is enough :)

tamz dont forget shiloh is still young and not walking a long distance is fine at that age!!!! calm my dear!!!!!

phhhhheeeeewwwwwwwwww i did panick then lmao........is that really how far they need walking once into adult hood????? god i'll be so slim i will fall down the grid!! :P

phhhhheeeeewwwwwwwwww i did panick then lmao........is that really how far they need walking once into adult hood????? god i'll be so slim i will fall down the grid!! :P

For puppies (up to a year old)

it should be 5 minutes per month of age so for Shiloh 35 mins is sufficient

and don't forget she'll be running around at home too.

thats cool.............i take him out for an hr at night anyway so at least he's gettin abit of exercise.......try and stay out longer if ive not managed to get out with him during the day......ian ocassionally takes him out on the bike too but not all the time :lol:

Just mapped a few walks out, he'll get one 3.68 mile walk a day, one 1.68 round the park and mapped out a nice 6.13m walk along the river he can have on my days off, when he's old enough that is :)

And i'll be buying a walkydog, i was worried once he reaches adulthood he wouldn't get enough but i think we'll have it covered, for now i'll stick to the 5 mins per month.

Thanks for the link.

Another good free iPhone app is runtracker. I use it to map my runs I do each morning.

I'm actually going to have to majorly decrease my exercise amount when I pick my 4 month old pup up today, as I run more than 6miles each morning. It's winter here though, so I welcome the decrease!

Just mapped a few walks out, he'll get one 3.68 mile walk a day, one 1.68 round the park and mapped out a nice 6.13m walk along the river he can have on my days off, when he's old enough that is :)

And i'll be buying a walkydog, i was worried once he reaches adulthood he wouldn't get enough but i think we'll have it covered, for now i'll stick to the 5 mins per month.

Thanks for the link.

Lol it's amazing just how far you can go.

I love my walkydog. . . Darwin gets a good stretch on. He's pulled me up to 25 MPH ohmy.gif

I can't wait until Daughtry is old enough to get strapped onto the bike.biggrin.gif

This is a great question! Smokey an I go for one good 3-4 mile (according the map thinger) walk every day or at least an hour. These days it's been too hot and I've been a bit down so I haven't been able to give him a good walk for about a week or so. If it's not a good walk we usually go for about 20 minutes or about a mile and half. Sometimes we go completely off path so I cannot track the distance for that but when we do that it's usually for a good 2 hours or so. There is an owl that lives off path behind our house. He is always there sitting on the same rock every single time we visit him. I think he has a nest and a wifey somewhere there but Smokey and I haven't been able to located it as he is very protective and hoot toots and hovers all around us if we come too close. Needless to say Smokey and I love that Mr. Owl now....

sorry for the side story....

Oh and when we use our walky dog we get probably about 6-7 miles in with that...

This is a great question! Smokey an I go for one good 3-4 mile (according the map thinger) walk every day or at least an hour. These days it's been too hot and I've been a bit down so I haven't been able to give him a good walk for about a week or so. If it's not a good walk we usually go for about 20 minutes or about a mile and half. Sometimes we go completely off path so I cannot track the distance for that but when we do that it's usually for a good 2 hours or so. There is an owl that lives off path behind our house. He is always there sitting on the same rock every single time we visit him. I think he has a nest and a wifey somewhere there but Smokey and I haven't been able to located it as he is very protective and hoot toots and hovers all around us if we come too close. Needless to say Smokey and I love that Mr. Owl now....

sorry for the side story....

Oh and when we use our walky dog we get probably about 6-7 miles in with that...

Sounds like you're giving him enough, overall. biggrin.gif

Just hope Mr. Owl doesn't swoop down too low, coz Huskies can jump. ohmy.gif

Guest Spider_Crazy_Removed

Max walks around the garden a lot but get about half an our a day, 5 min slots coz he still needs learn to peee out and not wait till he get home GRRRR lol. I would like to walk max more but advice tells us not too as he is too young. Heck I got told off for "weaving" Max at puppy class TOO YOUNG and all that.

BTW what age can a sibe do agillity <sp?> as id love to do that with him.

Peter