scary day

HuskyCouture

so today embry was all angsty cause we had to leave the dog park while he was having fun with his girlfriend jada the lab puppy cause i had to work in 45minutes, and so we forgot his harness at home so he only had his collar on and my 9 year old sister was walking him on his lead to the car, well he pulled so hard that he ripped his collar off ): he ran straight across to street to the old people home which is located RIGHT next to the interstate. THANK GOD my boyfriend is a fast runner, otherwise he probably would've been hit by a carsad.gif man he looked so proud of himself while my boyfriend carried him back to the car over his shoulder, it was kind of funny

now i need to buy embry a new collar, the boyfriend said no more aqua and rhinestones, psshh embry loves being a little feminine laugh.gifwink.gif

f4o3eo.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is scary stuff - love to know what he was thinking while being carried to the car, can just imagine him thinking 'this is fun' and plotting his next move biggrin.gif

hah i know, when i set him in the boot of the jeep he tried darting again and i was like ohhh no you dontlaugh.gif

Ohhhhhh, yeah. They love getting free. . . .and you really can see they are soooooooo proud of themselves. lol

Glad you got him back quick. biggrin.gif

Guest Spider_Crazy_Removed

Maybe I should start to get fit in case I have to run after max, he dont follow me but is great at recall. Im the evil one that went the entire lengh of the 2 pens and made him run the full distance before I jumped out of the way of a furry cannon ball called MAX

Peter

Thank goodness your boyfriend got Him o.k...it's scary when they get off lead, our Buck got away when I was over visiting my Mum one day, I still lived in Toronto and He ran across 6 lanes of traffic towards a Woman walking on the other side of the Road, very very busy main road... but on the way back to me He got hit in the closest lane to me and I'll never forget the screams! Luckily He survived but Had hip problems after that. Niko slipped His collar on Saturday just outside our gates and luckily He ran straight back into the drive and up to the field to look at the Hens, my Hubby was able to get Him and I put a new collar on Him...my heart was in my mouth the whole time though! I just wish they understood what it does to us when they do that, some of our guys are better at recall than others unfortunately.

Siobhan.

I will never forget Rusty getting lose, mum tied him to a BIG sign outside a shop and something spooked him and he took off and took the sign with him. He lost the sign somewhere but returned home with a broken leash but the poor big guy had badly shredded his hocks from the sign but was OK. There is something said for walking a pattern coz even doe he was a greyhound <RIP> he came home and prompt about it.

Peter

Rob had Nooks tied up outside the newsagents one morning while he went in to get something and Nooks managed to untie himself...he didn't run off however, as Rob happened to look round while he was paying and Nooks was sat right outside the doors waiting for him to come out again :o

Rosa <RIP> we would never trust off lead but she had slipped a few times and always went to the butchers coz blame mum!! she would buy Rosa a bone and make her carry it home before she could eat it.

Bob I dont think ever got lose and as if yet katie aint

Peter

Sort of makes your heart skip a few beats. So glad your bf got Embry back without incident. Those Huskies are real opportunists.

oh thank the universe he is safe and sound. smokey somehow managed to get out of his harness while i was walking him one day and he ran across about 4 lanes. thankfully it wasn't rush hour. i usually keep treats in my pocket but i had none that day. i pretended to stick my hand in my pocket to pull out a treat and called his name sweetly. he flew right by me. he played this game with me about 3 times before i got a grip of his hair and yanked him back to grab his collar. boy did he cry when i pulled his hair :'o( i walked the rest of the way home crying.

We had a harness for Bo. He would wait (impatiently) at the door to have it put on before he could go out. It encircled his neck and went between his front legs. That way if one piece broke, I still had a bit of control.

I've also noticed that many husky owners will have their dogs on two collars when they are out. If one gives, the second is a backup........just something for you to consider.

I never put my dog's name on their collar or tags, because if someone wants to steal them, no one will think they're suspicious if they're calling the dog by name.

see i get that but at the same time, what happens if your dog gets away and the person is too stupid to check and see if it's microchipped? i'd rather have his name on his collar and tags and be at peace knowing if he got out, if someone found him they'd have my number and address

We had a harness for Bo. He would wait (impatiently) at the door to have it put on before he could go out. It encircled his neck and went between his front legs. That way if one piece broke, I still had a bit of control.

I've also noticed that many husky owners will have their dogs on two collars when they are out. If one gives, the second is a backup........just something for you to consider.

well he usually is on a really strong harness but i forgot it since the dog park is a block away, also that he rarely pulls. but great info