pulling on lead.............

Tamz

hey peeps

feel as im on here far too much complaining about stuff these days but ive:angry: got yet another problem

shiloh is pulling- ALOT when out on walks......so much now that i am finding it extremely difficult to control him :(

ive have just been out with him and chloe was in her buggy...he was like a dog possessed- i found it a struggle to keep chloe safe aswell as try and control him...at one point the buggy was on 2 wheels as he was off on one :angry:

how do i stop him from behaving like this????? i know you laugh at me when i say this but i swear he is like the dog of saytun!!! he doesnt listen to any command when outside the house....wait is as much as i can get him to do, he wont heel...he wont leave stuff on the floor when he walks past...he is becoming a nightmare!

ian gives me grief coz i dont take him out during day as he says he aint getting out enough so ive started to go out with him during day and i really am struggling with it- i dont know what else to do :(

im gunna bring it up with brian on sat (trainer) but of course he is like an angel when at training...does as he's told straight away

what do you guys do to stop the pulling?? please someone help me!!!! :(

one day the buggy will end up in the road i just know it! :(

we already have one of these hun....he bangs his head on the concrete when you walk him with it on- dont fink he likes it :(

but then again if its gunna stop the pulling then he's gunna have to get used to it...ta huni xxxxxx

My boyfriend uses one of those gentle leaders for his husky Tika. It works well. Seems similar to a Canny collar.

A lot of people would not agree with me, but I walk Viggo with one of those scary looking metal prong collars (believe it or not, the people who taught the obedience class I took with Viggo highly recommended it). Works like a charm for Viggo. But definitely not good for all dogs.

we already have one of these hun....he bangs his head on the concrete when you walk him with it on- dont fink he likes it :(

but then again if its gunna stop the pulling then he's gunna have to get used to it...ta huni xxxxxx

Most dogs hate them but if you have to use it for Chloes saftey then you need to try training him with it so he gets used to it, its called desensitisation training.. its about showing him that its a good thing not a bad thing.. I would start by getting him to wear it around the house and giving him treats while he has it on any time hes relaxed whilst wearing it. :)

Tami, Hush yo mouf'

You are in a position that ALL Husky owners find themselves in.

A draggy / pully Husky.

It's normal.

What to do about it,

Ahhhh now there's a can of worms you're about to open.

1. How much one on one time can you spend training Shiloh, outside the house. ?

2. Is he normally on a collar or a harness ?

There are various methods of loose lead training but they require about an hour each day for one on one training.

There are training headcollars and harnesses available which make them easier to handle when you are out and about

BUT they are not a permanent fix only until your one on one training is continuing,

eventually the training will allow you to replace the control harness or collar, with well behaved loose lead walking.

Tami, Hush yo mouf'

You are in a position that ALL Husky owners find themselves in.

A draggy / pully Husky.

It's normal.

What to do about it,

Ahhhh now there's a can of worms you're about to open.

1. How much one on one time can you spend training Shiloh, outside the house. ?

2. Is he normally on a collar or a harness ?

There are various methods of loose lead training but they require about an hour each day for one on one training.

There are training headcollars and harnesses available which make them easier to handle when you are out and about

BUT they are not a permanent fix only until your one on one training is continuing,

eventually the training will allow you to replace the control harness or collar, with well behaved loose lead walking.

he is always on a lead and collar- we got told not to walk him on a harness by our trainer so we never have done- well not since he was about 16wk old anyway...he will pull that hard he will choke himself but even that doesnt make any difference :(

he has just started his second lot of puppy training....the first lot he did he was great with it...hardly pulled at all but since he went into kennels at the beginning of june he has gradually got worse :(

he started his second lot of training last sat...again was good as gold in the class but as soon as you get home he is back to pulling like crazy...even ian has started to notice it now so thats how bad its got :(

i spend between 30-45mins each day in the back going over the training which we did in the class..again he is great with it- but as soon as you take him away from the house to go on a walk he goes deaf again......its like he jst doesnt hear you- which i know he can!!

its so frustrating!!! :angry:

Hello! I have some tips for you. I am friends with a dog trainer, she helped me train my huskies, and I watch lots of Cesar Milan ;)

Perhaps he is picking up on your loss of control. At training, he must behave. The house is your house so you enforce rules (assuming). So, follow through with outside as well. Assert that you are the leader and in control. First off, take him without the buggy so that you can focus on him. Before you even leave the house, try making him sit before you open the door. Practice commands like "wait" when you open the door, do no allow him to bolt, you must lead him out to remind him that you are the pack leader. On the walk, keep him beside you, try not to let him get out in front of you to pull you, that is his strength and he has learned that you cannot control it :) It also lets him lead you around. The moment he starts to pull, stop and wait for him to calm down and let slack back in the leash. Walking is the reward. It will be be very annoying and require much patience, but it seems to be effective. You can also practice walking him on his lead in the house sense he seems to respond better to commands in that environment. Just remember to be a "calm, assertive leader." Huskies are stubborn especially when it comes to walking on a lead. He probably will not walk perfectly every time, but you should be able to correct him quickly one he (and you) get the hang of it.

Best of luck!!!!!!

i second the canny collar - blaze is a steam train - soon as that collar goes on hes at my side - he shoves his head on the floor tries 2 rip it off with his paws but i praise him when hes being good with it on and ignore him when he is being bad - it REALLY helps specially atm as i have 2 walk all 3 on my own this week

Hello! I have some tips for you. I am friends with a dog trainer, she helped me train my huskies, and I watch lots of Cesar Milan ;)

Perhaps he is picking up on your loss of control. At training, he must behave. The house is your house so you enforce rules (assuming). So, follow through with outside as well. Assert that you are the leader and in control. First off, take him without the buggy so that you can focus on him. Before you even leave the house, try making him sit before you open the door. Practice commands like "wait" when you open the door, do no allow him to bolt, you must lead him out to remind him that you are the pack leader. On the walk, keep him beside you, try not to let him get out in front of you to pull you, that is his strength and he has learned that you cannot control it :) It also lets him lead you around. The moment he starts to pull, stop and wait for him to calm down and let slack back in the leash. Walking is the reward. It will be be very annoying and require much patience, but it seems to be effective. You can also practice walking him on his lead in the house sense he seems to respond better to commands in that environment. Just remember to be a "calm, assertive leader." Huskies are stubborn especially when it comes to walking on a lead. He probably will not walk perfectly every time, but you should be able to correct him quickly one he (and you) get the hang of it.

Best of luck!!!!!!

thanks for this :)

before we go out he always sits and lets you put on his lead...he then waits for you to open the door and always follows you out- never the other way around..he's always done that lol

i must admit i havent noticed him pulling as much when we are on our own in the evening- maybe its coz i have all my strength concentrated on him??

when with the buggy i have to split my strength between the two which is then when i notice how strong he is....he is definately getting worse.....he is a very stubborn puppy.......he knows how to walk normally as he does it when at his puppy class and when in the back garden so why not do it all the time???

its so frustrating!! :angry:

The only advice I can give you is what we have done with both Sasha and Bailey.

First of all we use a full check chain (I know a lot of people don't like them but it works for us)

When we first trained them on lead everytime they started to pull or lundge we would give a quick check of the lead and call them back. Once they came back to us we gave them lots and lots of praise. Of course we still occasionally need to do this, however 98% of the time they walk next to us on a loose leash.

It's got to the point now that we can stop and we give the command heel and they will turn around and walk back to us and sit next to our legs.

Lots of practice and plenty of praise. Be paitient smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

this may look strange to passers bye but does appear to work... if your pup pulls stop and change direction, do this everytime your pup starts pulling , stop change direction, over and over again, yeah you do feel kinda daft when people are watching you lol, but try it and see...

im using this method again with my little one, it has worked for me in the past...

this may look strange to passers bye but does appear to work... if your pup pulls stop and change direction, do this everytime your pup starts pulling , stop change direction, over and over again, yeah you do feel kinda daft when people are watching you lol, but try it and see...

im using this method again with my little one, it has worked for me in the past...

yep ur right this method does work - i would love 2 train blaze that way but never had time too - i have abit ov time off work now so i might try it

yep that really does work - takes time but works :D

I need to do that with my 2 but no way can i take one out with out the other :( so i have resigned myself to the fact that i'm going to be walking to steam trains for life huh.gif

I also have the gentle leader coller For Akia it took a few weeks for her to get used to it but she walks fine with it now. Worked a treat.

With my Willow it took me over a year to get her to heel constantly but we got there time and patients is the key and the turning in the street does work well as does stopping and making them come back to you. Shows them to stop hurrying you along and you will get there quicker if they stay by your side.........does that make sence.........lol. Hope you know what I mean.....lol. Good luck and just stay with it.

i find that a backpack really slows my boy down. he pulls way less and is far more focused on his walk.

Some has just put up a specific post about backpacks so there is some info on there about them.

How old is your child - could you use a carrier (front or back) rather than a buggy?

Is your dog competing with the buggy to be the leader? or perhaps is frightened of the buggy...just a thought?

claire

Loki is an absolute horror because he pulls so much in public. I've tried everything with him. I stop whenever he pulls until he relaxes, then continue. I've tried getting him to heel with treats.. nothing seemed to work.

So I took him to the petstore and put a gentle leader harness on him. He stopped pulling and jumping IMMEDIATELY, however, as soon as he was back on the collar, he was pulling like a menace again. It's not a solution, but if used coreectly, you can use it as a training tool.

i did the stop and change direction for about 3 days on the trot with Luna and she pretty much gets it now though ill probqably have to carry on doing it for some time to some extent. but shes gotten much better recetnyl except when she knows we're going down the fled with the other huskys cause then she gets to run on extendable lead with them, but walking down the park normally shes fine.

To get him to listen to you better out in public, try bringing a high value treat with you like cooked chicken, cheese, sliced meat, or anything that he really really loves and do not use this as a treat at home. He'll get the idea that he gets really good treats from you when you are out in public and so he should listen to you more. And if that's not enough, don't feed him the morning before you take him out, so he's really hungry and will really value those treats. After a while of this and if you choose the changing directions thing while walking him, he should get better. Best of luck! BTW, I'm in the same boat right now trying to teach my pup not to pull. I can already tell it's going to take a while. Huskies are so hard headed sometimes. dry.gif

I've been trying to change direction with Ice but as soon as i do he either lays down and won't move until i start going in the original direction or jumps about yelping like he's getting murdered, he doesn't pull that bad to be fair though, its his stopping every two steps cos he's found something else interesting thats the problem.