Hello from Swindon

Hello to the Husky Owners Forum

I'm Gemma (and Steve)

with a new addition on the way, Loki (almost 4 weeks old)

We have been researching from this site and others for the past year

Gemma to be the trainer/strict one!

Steve to be the playmate!

:lol:

We are almost fully prepared for him... :)

There are a few decisions to make which I am hoping to pick other owners' brains about, regarding:

Crate training?

Harness - what size to get and when to start?

I have seen some debates re urban walking = normal/short lead (which i'd rather anyway for more control) but wide open spaces = harness/retractable lead (before the recall training is successful... I hope to get this far yes! Might be ambitious but I'll give it a damn good try!)

[ATTACH]5355.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-1904-13585953539701_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the pack loki is gorgeous :D

DEFFO get a crate - my 7 month old girl chews like crazy - sooooo glad i decided 2 get the crate out 2day just wish i had got it out sooner shes chewed - my GHD wires, microphone (for a game) wire, a poster, bar ov choc, 3 xbox controllers, the blind, xbox plug, my boots, my converse - the list is endless - and has ending up costing alot ov money - just wish we had got the crate out ov the garage sooner lol

harness not sure but when we got skyla she was 14 weeks old and came 2 us in a harness (we didnt get blaze his harness till he was around 6 months old) - she had a lupine step-in style 1 (she now has an ezydog) - not sure what size u wud need tho - usually for a pup a normal flat collar will suffice - when the prey drive kicks in it might b better 2 get a harness as they can slip collars

i have walked my girl (my boy pulls) on an extendable when on a normal walk so long as ur sensible with it and dont let her run riot it will b ok - when they go over to the feild i have 100ft leads i got off ebay so they have the freedom to run around and i know they are safe and cant run away

mine only wear a collar for tags now they wear harnesses on walks so if they do pull or lunge it wont hurt their necks

hope that helped abit , if you need more help feel free 2 post up :)

cant w8 2 see LOTS of pics ov ur baby when u get him :)

Welcome I'm Gemma, Steve and Loki! :) he's adorable.

with crate training, you want to never put him in there when he's naughty, it needs to be a safe place for him. just make sure you keep up with it.

Embrys 9 months but since he was about 5 months, he's been wearing a medium sized harness. until Loki's probably 4/5 months you really just want to keep him on a collar since harnesses are pricey, but it's really up to you. the ezydog harness http://ezydog.com/ezydog/?CFID=53923113&CFTOKEN=93737204 are the most popular harness used by people on here.

i always keep embry on at least an 8 ft lead, or his 20ft lead if we're at the lake or something. you can never trust a sibes recall, no matter how good it is.

good luck :D

i would definatly crate train, you only haveto pick up your shoes in my house and put them on and both dogs run for their own crates, they know which is there own as well, we feed ours in their crate and its there own space to chill out in.

get a cheap harness to start as they get older you end up buying bigger ones till they stop growing, we have more now than kennelgate lol,

we also have 100ft leads to run them freely but need to be careful that they dont get them wrpped around their legs

good luck

Welcome Gemma and Steve, There are more than a few here who will give you their well considered opinions on your questions.>We are having a husky meet in Oxford just up the road from you guys on Sat 31st July. In the Cutteslowe park at 2pm.While Loki will be too young to bring, why not come along to the meet and get some hands on with young to adult huskies, pick our brains. We have people coming from all over the country. It'll be great to meet you

Lol. . .I got no idea either. . . very strange. . unsure.gif

anyway gemma n Steve Come to the meet simple reallylaugh.gif

Welcome Gemma and Steve,There are more than a few here who will give you their well considered opinions on your questions. We are having a husky meet in Oxford just up the road from you guys on Sat 31st July. In the Cutteslowe park at 2pm. While Loki will be too young to bring, why not come along to the meet and get some hands on with young to adult huskies, pick our brains. We have people coming from all over the country. It'll be great to meet you.

thats what andys post is SUPPOSED 2 say lmao :P

thats what andys post is SUPPOSED 2 say lmao :P

Thanks Nix.. . . biggrin.gif

Wow. Cheers for replying so quick!

He won't goin anyway too far til end of august once he's safe from vaccination period I guess

I have an 8ft extendable ready. Will get cheap harnesses for now as he will be growin rapid and prob have to change a few before gettin a sleek black Ezy-harness to go on his pure White coat. But glad to know there's even longer extendables! :)

many thanks for the invite to the husky meet. Sadly for you peeps I will be on holiday from the 26th until the 6th then pick up Loki on the 7th (hence the being organized before we go!) but if there are any after please let me kno :) hopefully can bring Loki too!

Woo hoo! Another Swindon Husky! We take Mickey up to Lydiard Park pretty much every night, we have a 10 metre lead for him, and that suits quite well - it's long enough that he can troll about for sniffs, but short enough that we can control him when he meets other dogs / squirrels :) He pulled quite a lot on his collar (we tried him on that at first - we got him from the blue cross and didn't like his neck being touched, so we just left his collar on), at the moment we've got him on a fifteen quid harness from pet shed, when funds allow, we'll get him a webmaster with the saddlebags on, so he can carry some weight as well...

Helpful site here for Swindon walks - Taras Trails

Look forward to meeting you all when you've got Loki home and settled :)

Just realised I'm logged on here as the wife - my username is vinny1275.

Cheers

Vince

Helloooooo to you both!!

Welcome to the pack :wave:

Crate training is a god send deffo aim for that :up:

I'd start on a collar whilst walking, the general rule of thumb is 5 mins per month of age so 15 min walk at 3 months - this amount doesn't put too much strain on their joints / ligaments :)

Looking forward to seeing you around oh and pwease post up some puppy pics :D

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Gemma! Loki is gorgeous! Bet you cant wait to pick him up.

Agree with all of the above, crate training is a god send,mine are fed in theirs, they go in there to sleep & when we go out. It stops them from causing havoc and chewing everything in the house!

I have kept mine on collars till about 6 months just because thats how i prefer to do it. It also means i dont have to buy too many harnesses when they grow out of them ;) Like Sarah said only walk them for 5 mins for each month old they are. I started with collar training in the garden with lots of rewards. Puppies will often resist walking on a collar/lead initially so use a lot of encouragement & rewards & they will soon be walking you! My puppy settled into it straight away as she had our older one to follow so maybe if you have any friends with a dog you could take him out with them.

I use a short ish lead for walking on the streets & then a long training lead on parks & open spaces.

Good luck & hope to see you around on here xx

Welcome to the site Gemma, Steve and of course Loki- how gorgeous :wub:

defo defo crate train- we did it with shiloh when we got him, we had from 8wk old...was a challenge but worth it in the end- he loves it in there now and with me being a childminder he can get away from all the hyper kids i look after lol

with regards walking, we dont walk shiloh on a harness but thats only because he is in puppy training, we was told by our trainer to walk him on a collar and lead.....he still pulls like crazy but its even worse on a harness :angry: he does seem to be getting better on the collar but its moving at a very very slow pace lol.......i just hope he walks normally by the time winter comes as we have snow alot here and i do not fancy being dragged down the street in the snow lmao

good luck on your first day/night home with Loki and i look forward to seein more pics of the little beaut :) xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Loki Album

:) :) :)

AAAAAWWWWWW bless, Loki is sooooooo cute. . .. more pics please biggrin.gif