Checklist..?

adzi92

Hiya guys,,,

I think i have finally been allowed to get my dream dog!! :) :)

I can't pick the puppy up for another 4-6 weeks but i would obviously like to get everything set up and in place for the little fella or girly when he/she arrives..

What do you all recommend to get to start off? Crate, Toys, etc..? anything in particular that i am overlooking..?

Thanks Husky lovers x

adz

crate = large let him/her grow into it,

toys = small to start with.

kong = small, you can fill with treats when your out, will stop him/her chewing your house lol

old jumper = one of yours with your smell on this will help settle into crate.

food/water bowl.

collar/lead = even though not allowed out straight away, you can get him/her used to it.

brush/comb = get him/her used to it.

bed = for inside the crate. opional.

toothbrush/paste = opional but if you want to brush teeth start young.

if i think of any thing else i will add xxxx

if only the one dog then crate from day one sooner they are used to it the better toys anything hard that will last a little bit kongs are a great start

find out what they will be fed on an stock up on it as will need about 3 meals a day. (no cheap foods look in 2 skiners or wainwrights there are others and you will have many suggestions)

or are you going to put on raw diet

what vacinations are they coming with if any an look for a good vets with husky experience safe to say not every vet has a clue when comes to sibes.(probs most importent)

A good brush try and get them used to it from day one some sibes dont like to be brushed an you will end up chasing them more than brushing them and come blowing coat time they WILL need it.

Make sure you're garden is up to scratch no gaps in fences or holes make sure gate has good lock on it from inside at fence is at least 6ft high no trellace they use it as a ladder an bye bye husky lol

what are you're plans for toilet training will he/hse be an out side dog?

Never give in to you're sibe they are very chalenging

BUT number 1 thing enjoy them cuss the stress wil be so worth it :D

man this list is going to be endless lol

CANT STRESS ENOUGH GET THEM CHIPPED

get an old towel ready & take it to the breeders a few days before you pick the pup up, ask the breeder to let the mother & pups lay with the towel, so when you take the pup home, you take the towel full of the pack smells home too to help settle the pup.

Well,,, i have a conservatory (quite a large one) between the back garden and obviously the house so i thought he/she could live in there, but with access to the house whenever i am in and easy access to the garden.

I know everyone has different opinions and neither can be exactly bad, but what do you guys feed your dogs? raw or things like iams etc..?

The vet thing should be fine, the vet I go to is extremely reputable, I also keep and breed many reptiles so I have been with him for 7-8 years now so i know him quite well.

As for toilet training, the conservatory floor is tiled and i can easily let him/her out for a wee/poop session after meals, playing etc into the garden.

adz xx

Two most invaluable items I can think of is

the book "Siberian huskies for dummies" - Alot of the stuff relates to keeping one in America but theres still alot of quality info in there to read up on...

Camarer!!!! You will want to take a million and one pictures to bore all your relatives and show all of us lot (We LOVE pics!!)

Feeding - I personally feed RAW, if you do want to do this read up, theres a couple of good threads on here as well as a ton of stuff on the internet generally about it. But if you dont want to do that look for a food that is wheat and grain free as sibes have sensative tummies and are usually allergic to wheat and fillers which are just there to bulk the food out so they can charge you more anyway so your doing both your pup and your pocket a favour by avoiding them! A very good half way house between processed food and raw is Natures menu frozen nuggets, they are a complete food in meaty form.. these always go down with no complaints from my lot! :D

Congrats and good luck with your new pup!! :D

a camera! - so we can see lots of pics of your new furbaby :) - and they grow up so quickly you dont want to miss out on those times when they are sooo small

i feed raw food and the occasional kibble - the kibble they have is wainwrights - if you go for kibble make sure u get kibble for puppies

As all the above. Will add about the toilet training. Have one spot in the garden you lead them out to on a leash so the little pup nows where the area is or you will have no grass left deff if you get a female and you will always now where the doo doos are........lol... I have a little gravel area easy to keep clean.

Good luck cannot wait to see pics.......