Hi Everyone :o)

Deb&Loki

Hi all.

I thought I should introduce myself as I can see me asking loads of questions on here! My name is Debbie and I live in Abbeymead, Gloucester. I am now the proud owner of a beautiful husky girl called Loki (I know its more of a boys name but it suits her :)) She is 8 weeks old and is black and white. She has almost black eyes that shimmer blue in the light. She's gorgeous. I'm still having a bit of trouble trying to get her used to spending a bit of time by herself but he seems to howl constantly if I'm not about. I hope it's just a case of her learning that I'm not going to just abandon her lol. I know it'll take time. Has anyone else had real trouble with leaving their pup on their own for a bit? Apart from that shes fantastic. She is fully housetrained, is good in her crate at night and wakes me up when she needs to go out.

The only other thing is that she seems to enjoy digging in her water bowl. She doesn't tip it over but instead splashes it all about and then has nothing left to drink, she's a messy pup. Does anyone know if this is normal husky behavour or if theres anything I can buy to try and stop it? (makes a real mess of the kitchen floor lol) Thanks for all your help!

post-1964-13585953824701_thumb.jpg

post-1964-13585953833816_thumb.jpg

Hi Deb and welcme, Loki is not just for a boy lol my girl is called Loki it's the god of mischief and it suits her just fine lol also as you can see in pic my Loki is black and white with the black around her eyes lol so yep your lil one is so cute xxxx

welcome to the pack debbie :) loki is gorgeous :wub: digging in their water bowl is deffinately normal husky behaviour my 7 month old girl does it too lol she likes 2 splash it all over the place then lie in the puddle she makes lol - they now have their water outside :P

she will learn that u WILL come back too - just leave the room for a few seconds then go bk in and keep increasing the time :) - if shes howling tho - dont go back 2 her until shes quiet as soon as shes quiet go back in (u might have 2 stand outside the door 2 get the timing right) because if you go back when shes howling she will think everytime she howls ur going to come back and she wont learn not too - hope thats helped abit :)

anything else u need feel free 2 post up - everyone on here is great at giving advice to the best ov their knowledge :)

Hi, Debbie and Loki,

Yeah, splashing in the water bowl is normal my Daughtry does it all the time. . lolbiggrin.gif

Ask all the questions you like, it's what we do best here on the forums.

Don't just ask questions though, you can hang out with us nutters, and have a laugh too.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

hi my 7 mnth old digs her water all the time constantly cleaning up the kitchen. As for the howling i have had the same problem she would howl as soon as we locked the door. I asked the same question and the answers i got were fantastic. try locking her in a room for a few moments and go back in when she is quiet (may only be seconds) and gradually increase the time left alone i found leaving her atreat (tripe or a chicken wing) helped. She is calling for u to reunite her pack. she has probably come from lots of other dogs (brothers and sisters) so can be quiet daunting for her at first.

It took me about a week and a half before i could leave for longer than an hour. but you have to do it religiously every day and this should crack it. Hope this helps Karl

Thanks guys! She really loves making a mess with her water then looks at me like 'come on, I'm thirsty, give me something to drink' lol. As for leaving her, I've got a kennel with a run outside which I thought would be better for her. She'll go in it fine when I'm there and I can shut the gate and shes fine. I gradually move myself away but as soon as I'm indoors she's howling. I don't think she even stops for air lol. I'm sure she'll get there though, I have faith in her. I leave her with plenty of chew toys and a kong so maybe she'll chill out and learn to enjoy them!

Lol i used to wonder that too, but then I thought that it was probably to cool themselves down? A husky pup i had, Leo, did it EVERY day.. so i gave him little ice cubes to chew on and let him drink from a spray bottle so he always had somethin to drink. And I do that with Meeka now too even though she doesn't dig in the water bowl:)

My boyfriend and I are also having the separation anxiety thing a little bit still too. She's gotten MUCH better than when we first got her though, it's slowly going away for us.. it's weird though, because she's better if we're completely gone than if we're just standing on the other side of a door. if she can see or hear us, she whiiiiines and whiiiiines so much! makes no sense.. lol.