Obi's Approach to other Dogs

ericrdj

hey guys. I just wanted to ask you if this is wrong:

When Obi sees other friendly dogs, he doesn't smell at all.

He immediately "wants" to play.

When I mean "wants", he'll come up to the dog face to face and tries to play already.

It gets the other dog angry/unsure for most of the time.

i've had embry since 10 weeks old and has been very well socialized and to puppy class. he will usually go up to dogs sniffing faces and then goes and sniffs the dogs behind. in puppy class we had to flip dogs around for him to sniff but it didn't really stop him from goes up to the face.

I'd suggest to start socializing him as much and as often as you can. Bring him to evey dog park you can find and approach every dog you see. Make it your mission to find and approach other dogs while you are on your walk. Enroll him in behaviour classes if that's what it takes. Don't let this slip by you, he's only young for a very short time and it gets "much" more difficult to socialize your dog as they get older. Just remember to lead him to other dogs don't let him lead you. Don't be afraid to correct him if he's acting up in front of strangers, that's what you're there for. There is simply no substitute for a well socialized dog. This really is the backbone of your dog training....

My pup will usually dance around in front of a new dog and if they seem friendly they'll sniff behinds and if that all goes well she'll try and play with them. She also seems to be a little more "rude" to younger dogs and more "polite" with older dogs. It's like she knows the younger ones will be more willing to play without all the formalities. Going right for the face is very rude in dog language and can get your dog bit. I'd reward him for sniffing behinds and pull him away from other dogs if he goes straight for their face. Hopefully he'll get the idea eventually.

+1 to what Silver said. Try and socialize him as much as possible. Controlled settings like in dog class are best since you don't really know how other dogs at dog parks are going to act.

agree with Nix. . . but normal Husky behaviour is just to leap in playfighting, before sniffing bums, that comes AFTER they've hd had a good wrestling match. laugh.gif

actiually he has all four of his shots. Anti rabies is going to be injected on Aug 25 tho.

Obi's well socialized with people.

My cousin and his son were here and Obi responded to the child very well.

I also made the child put some food in Obi's food bowl while eating because I know Obi doesn't mind it.

I need to find good social dogs because here in my place, most dogs would pretty much sniff and run if the other dog sniff back. Not everyone gives much attention to their dogs. :/

I already enrolled him in a behavioral class.

The instructor has some flaws in terms of doggy exercise.

But he had some good points as well.

Here in the house,

I just dunno if Obi is the one that should be flipped or the other dogs.

Obi approaches straight up and tries to play immediately.

My Aspins corrects him. But I'm afraid that they'll bite Obi because of his playfulness.

Everyday, I'll try and make the Aspins sniff Obi's behind.

But they walk away afterwards.

Should I make Obi sniff their behind as well?

hey guys. I just wanted to ask you if this is wrong:

When Obi sees other friendly dogs, he doesn't smell at all.

He immediately "wants" to play.

When I mean "wants", he'll come up to the dog face to face and tries to play already.

It gets the other dog angry/unsure for most of the time.

hes only 12 weeks so hes still learning how to play, I reccomend puppy play classes for him so he can learn how to play properly and some correct doggy etticate.

actiually he has all four of his shots. Anti rabies is going to be injected on Aug 25 tho.

Obi's well socialized with people.

My cousin and his son were here and Obi responded to the child very well.

I also made the child put some food in Obi's food bowl while eating because I know Obi doesn't mind it.

I need to find good social dogs because here in my place, most dogs would pretty much sniff and run if the other dog sniff back. Not everyone gives much attention to their dogs. :/

I already enrolled him in a behavioral class.

The instructor has some flaws in terms of doggy exercise.

But he had some good points as well.

Here in the house,

I just dunno if Obi is the one that should be flipped or the other dogs.

Obi approaches straight up and tries to play immediately.

My Aspins corrects him. But I'm afraid that they'll bite Obi because of his playfulness.

Everyday, I'll try and make the Aspins sniff Obi's behind.

But they walk away afterwards.

Should I make Obi sniff their behind as well?

I wouldnt want to intefere with the way the dogs are interacing. you might make things difficult. As the other dogs are older they will tell Obi off when hes too much and thats the best way for him to learn. They are top dogs not him so he does what the tell him to do. Its very rare that an adult dog wil hurt a puppy as its completely un natural for them to do it. He'll learn through them.

The sniffing and walking away is the dogs checking Obi out but not wanting to intreact in play.

Personnaly i would leave the dogs to it and not step in unless there is a real problem. Its perfectly natural for older dogs to growl, snarl and pin pups for no reason what so ever. They are just stating that the space is theres and they are incharge

I wouldnt want to intefere with the way the dogs are interacing. you might make things difficult. As the other dogs are older they will tell Obi off when hes too much and thats the best way for him to learn. They are top dogs not him so he does what the tell him to do. Its very rare that an adult dog wil hurt a puppy as its completely un natural for them to do it. He'll learn through them.

The sniffing and walking away is the dogs checking Obi out but not wanting to intreact in play.

Personnaly i would leave the dogs to it and not step in unless there is a real problem. Its perfectly natural for older dogs to growl, snarl and pin pups for no reason what so ever. They are just stating that the space is theres and they are incharge

I'm just not that confident with leaving Obi with my Aspins..

It's just that I had terrible memories of my former Aspin killing four Aspin puppies that went in.

He went for their neck.

That thing happened almost 7 years ago.

and it gave me this terrible phobia.

Here's the current scenario in the house. (I want to get the approval from you guys if I should try and leave Obi with the Aspins)

The Aspins usually see Obi inside the yard. They don't bark at him.

They just ignore him.

When Obi approaches my two Aspin girls, they seem to be fine because they respond well.

But they growl at Obi from time to time because Obi wants to play immediately with them.

My male Aspin is the problem. He doesn't want Obi getting anywhere near him at all.

He marks whenever he gets the chance and I try and stop him from it.

Earlier, I tried this:

My younger Aspin(Jade), was outside the kitchen so.. I tried if Obi and Jade will respond well.

First, Jade sniffed Obi.

Second, Obi sniffed Jade for a lengthier period...

Then Jade growled.

Did she feel violated or something?? what's wrong with this picture?

Any opinions??

sounds like its just the boss warning the pup. Merlin is very dominant and he will tell a pup of for anything from looking in the wrong direction to being in his path, yet he will also share his bed and his food with them.... Dominant dogs will tell pups off for nothing at all except being a pup. ITs the way pups learn how to interact with the older pack memebers and what they can and cant do. You always need to supervise, but i wouldn't physically do anything to the dogs unless Obi is in real danger. Chances are hes going to get pinned and ruffed up by one of the other dogs but as long as there is no physical damage its not something i would be overly concerned about myself.

So you have one male Aspin, 2 femals and Obi who is also a male? If your male aspin is the one that has the biggest problem with Obi it could be because he wont tollerate another male in his space....Is he castrated? Do you know what breeds he is mixed with?

The male aspin isn't castrated at all.

Dad brought the two younger Aspins.

Both are mix breed.

Problem is he doesn't know what mix. :/

I wanted to castrate him. I forgot to ask the vet how much it'll cost.

I just find it sad when Obi is being ignored and growled at by the others. :/

What's the difference of a dog pinn than of a dog attack??

is it when the head starts to move differently?