Chemo

Lil Miss Bump

Hey guys

my dad started his chemo today and i just wondered what your experiences of it were? whether you or someone you know has been through it, did they lose their hair? did it grow back? did it make them physically sick or just nauseous? do ice lollys really help the mouth ulcers? is there anything you can recommend that will help? bath oils or herbs or suppliments?

anything i can do to keep my dad's spirits up?

xxxxxx

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my nan lost her hair and had to wear a wig,

her chemo worked for a while but then she went downhill

my auntie linda had chemo and she lost some of her hair but it grew back fine, she was a little nauseous but they gave her tablets and ways to keep it away.

my aunt just sucked on ice chips for the ulcers.

my cousin lost his hair, it did start to grow back but he has recently taken ill again :(

he had really intensive chemo, it hit him pretty bad, but not all people will be effecting in the same way..........

Hope he recovers soon Diz xxx

I had a short cause of Chemo when I was poorly when very little.. cant remeber loads about it.

I did loose some hair, but not all, but then I had really thick hair to begin with and it thinned right down, soon as I came off it all grew back very quickly.

I remeber it made me very tired and feel a little bit sick but I was so young they didnt give me massive doses so it will depend on the dose as to the severity of the side effects, and for mouth ulsers pinapple works a treat.

Hope that helps honey, massive hugs for you and manly hugs for your dad, really hoping it works for him! :)

My surrogate mother had cancer at 19, she was very sick and lost all her hair from the chemo, but she made a full recovery and went on to become an officer in the Army. All her hair grew back and she retired from Iraq, lived through two bullets to the stomach and is still going strong today at 42.

I'll get my auntie to write a reply because my uncle has had quite a lot of chemo over the years and she knows a lot about it.

Hi Amiee, I'm Claires Auntie, my husband has had loads of different chemo's over the past 12 years, the last lot was prior to a bone marrow transplant. It really does depend on the type of chemo they are giving, with regards to hair loss and other side effects. I think in the past 12 years my hubby has had about 6 different types of chemo, some made his hair thin and some made him lose all his hair on his entire body. The best advice I can give for keeping his spirits up is just being yourself, just remember he may get tired more quickly, but he will still want to spend time with you just the same as normal. As for mouth ulcers, they will give him stuff to try and prevent them, he really must make sure he uses it no matter how rough he feels. All the chemo's my hubby has had only 1 lot of mouth ulcers, but they were more from the transplant rather than the chemo. Your dad may get a sore mouth rather than ulcers, he may not like ice lollies or ice cubes as they can be quite painful, my hubby has just said try just cool drinks, but if your dad gets a very sore mouth there are other things the hospital can give him.

I know it's easy for me to say but try and keep happy and enjoy each other company, having gone through the sme things ourselves it makes you see things differently and you just value everything more, just the small things, it seems to put things in perspective.

You didn't say what cancer or what chemo your dad is having, do you know? as I said it really does depend on what chemo he's having as to how he will be feeling.

Take care, hope things go well, sending you lots of good thoughts xxx

if you want to ask my auntie any questions you can ring my mobile. :) message me if you want the number as i'm at my aunties this afternoon. :)

I'll get my auntie to write a reply because my uncle has had quite a lot of chemo over the years and she knows a lot about it.

Hi Amiee, I'm Claires Auntie, my husband has had loads of different chemo's over the past 12 years, the last lot was prior to a bone marrow transplant. It really does depend on the type of chemo they are giving, with regards to hair loss and other side effects. I think in the past 12 years my hubby has had about 6 different types of chemo, some made his hair thin and some made him lose all his hair on his entire body. The best advice I can give for keeping his spirits up is just being yourself, just remember he may get tired more quickly, but he will still want to spend time with you just the same as normal. As for mouth ulcers, they will give him stuff to try and prevent them, he really must make sure he uses it no matter how rough he feels. All the chemo's my hubby has had only 1 lot of mouth ulcers, but they were more from the transplant rather than the chemo. Your dad may get a sore mouth rather than ulcers, he may not like ice lollies or ice cubes as they can be quite painful, my hubby has just said try just cool drinks, but if your dad gets a very sore mouth there are other things the hospital can give him.

I know it's easy for me to say but try and keep happy and enjoy each other company, having gone through the sme things ourselves it makes you see things differently and you just value everything more, just the small things, it seems to put things in perspective.

You didn't say what cancer or what chemo your dad is having, do you know? as I said it really does depend on what chemo he's having as to how he will be feeling.

Take care, hope things go well, sending you lots of good thoughts xxx

if you want to ask my auntie any questions you can ring my mobile. :) message me if you want the number as i'm at my aunties this afternoon. :)

oooh thank you so much what a lovely reply. we had a deal when he first found out (as i was the first person he told) that i'd be myself, and we'd ask questions, we wouldn't sugar coat things and we'd just carry on being ourselves.

i've been texting him all day-but it's not the same as being there, i'm glad i'll be there next week. am glad he's got our friend there at the moment.

because i've never had any first hand experiences with chemo it's good to hear how other people have managed to get through it, like sarah said above pineapple is supposed to be really good if he has a sore mouth etc.

if we were talking pluerisy i could help as i've had that twice and have top tips for that!!!!

you guys have no idea how much i appreciate all your love, thoughts and advice, it's what's keeping me going at the moment. you guys are amazing-thank you xxxxxx

do you understand what i mean?

Diz we are all here if you need us, and i mean that if you want a little holiday you're welcome to stay with us etc. :) if you want to ask any questions just ask me and i'll put you in touch with my auntie, shes like my mum, shes lovely and knows a lot about lots of things but more especially asperger's which me and my cousin have and non hodgkins lymphoma and leukimeia and bone marrow transplant chemo etc which he hubby has been through, and bearing in mind they wouldn't even give him weeks to live when he first got it, now hes been here 12 years since they said he didnt have weeks, a lot can change over time and there are new treatments coming out all the time. :) xxxx so hang in there.

thanks claire, i'm trying so so so so hard to stay positive but something at the back of my mind keeps going 'but it's my dad' i'd be absolutely devestated if anything happened to him. we speak every day (even if it's just a text) and he's there for me no matter what and he doesn't have to be as he isn't even my biological dad-that is one truely amazing person.

say thank you so much to your auntie-if she's on facebook or anything please pass on my details :-)

Sorry about your dad Aimee. It can be tough and uncertain. Hope he handles the treatments OK.

Chemo often times will cause hair loss, but it depends on the cocktail they mix for the chemo. Some, but not all can cause nausea. It really depends on what is in the formula. My boss has undergone chemo since February for bone cancer. He did not lose any hair, and did not have an upset stomach. The only side affect he had was he gained some puffiness in his face and around his torso. Now, yesterday, today, and tomorrow, he is undergoing a super chemo treatment. This three day hit will cause him to lose his hair, and after yesterday's he was having issues with his stomach.

I'm so sorry to hear that!!

My uncle went through both chemo and radiation last year for his brain cancer.

He did lose his hair and did lose weight because it made him not like to eat and would have nausea a lot also.

He would smoke marijuana (with the doctors approval) for help with the nausea and to help with his appetite to gain weight!

I hope everything works out !

Awe I'll keep your dad in my prayers! My mother went through chemotherapy when I was 10 years old for breast cancer. She had stage 4 which is pretty advanced and they used a new method (well it was new back then). Her's was very intrusive chemo and she was in the hospital and was not allowed home. She did lose her hair, she got very sick afterwards. The positive note is she survived, wore a wig for awhile, her hair grew back and she's still alive today! so keep your hopes up and remind your dad to keep fighting. Wish you all the best!