Set him free

chumee

Hi, this is my first husky and im getting a little paranoid after all the reading i've been doing. So far, Azure is doing fine. He's about 6 months now. We have a huge space around the house so there's no problem with him running free inside the compound. But we've begun training and the trainer wants to try walking him without a leash outside the compound to work on obediance. I'm against this but I'd like to know what more experienced husky owners have to say... I see some pics of huskies on the beach, etc... so i wonder if its a total no-no?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I would suggest against it, huskies are runners (also known for being very stubborn and have selective hearing) and for example they saw something worth chasing and booked off I very highly doubt even most trained huskies give up the chase ...they just dont have the best recall rate...

http://www.siberrescue.com/huskyed3.html

http://www.allabouthuskies.com/

I could never let Sampson offlead. In the past when he has escaped we have spent hours and hours chasing him and trying to catch him. Also one of the times when he escaped he ended up getting hit by a car, luckily he wasn't seriously hurt. I wouldn't advise it as it is a bit of a lucky dip as to whether they will be okay offlead, some are but the majority are not.

Has your trainer ever worked with huskies before?

I was worried about letting my two off lead, but once i done it a few times i trust them a lot! Example, We where walking at night through a Primary school (not fenced) and they where both off lead, Joey saw a cat and chased it.. i called him and he came straight back and his drive DID set in! I trust him a lot more then Zarly though! I have let them off in parks, forests, beaches, country side etc! I wont let them off lead near streets etc though! A lot of the members of the dog sled club near me let there's off leash and in that sense treat them like any other breed, there dogs are also great off leash! =]

I would advise agaisnt it.

with me Noushka will run off lead and come back. Falkor always followed but now at 9 months has a mind of his own if the mood fits. Yesterday I dropped his lead and he just went mental running on a semi enclosed field. Luckily for me he eventually took some interest in some football training and one of the lads got him for me.

Just too risky

wayyy too risky IMO

I worked on my boys recall every day for weeks until i was confident that they would return - worked of for ohhhh 2 months? One day they decided a dog about half a mile away was more interesting and shot off crossing a main road - never again will i let them off

It's not worth it hun xx

it's advisable to keep them on lead or let them off in an enclosed space for a reason - all the books and websites will advise you the same - if you want to work on more off lead training, i'd really look at doing it in a safe enclosed area, dog park, your own compound etc :) xxx

i would not let mine off their prey drive is way 2 high i just know mine would not come back at all - n even if i thought they might i wouldnt risk it at all unless in an enclosed space - when i take mine for a run around on the local feild iu use 100ft leads - that way they get the freedom off being offleash but i am safe in the knowledge im going home with my dogs :)

Hi, and Welcome.

Tell your trainer that you have taken advice from a worldwide Forum of Husky experts. . .(ahem us. . . lol)

WE know this breed, and whereas your trainer may be a DOG expert we are expert in this BREED specifically.

If the trainer INSISTS that you train him offlead in an unsecure area.

Ask him to provide proof of extra insurance on his part, on your behalf should HIS TRAINING FAIL and your husky runs of and either does damage

and injury to himself or others and thier property.

That may make him think twice

Hi Rupika. When we were looking for our second Husky, the breeder we got Zoya from, had worked with one of her Huskies for several years, and was able to take that dog off lead. But I agree with the majority here. There are too many things that grab a Husky's attention. I suspect this trainer is not familiar with Huskies. At six months of age, there is no way I would let a Husky off lead. As Sarah said, the risk is too great.

As above really, I know the temptation and to see them running free would be so lovely, Iv even thought about it with one of mine who has better recall than my other one but at the end of the day.. their lives are just too precious to me to risk them! I know I would never forgive myself if something was to happen because I'd gone against all the advise I've read about huskies not going off lead!

As others have said if your trainer is encoraging this he clearly doesnt know the breed and if he is pressuring you against your better judgement then I'd look for a better trainer!

As above really, I know the temptation and to see them running free would be so lovely, Iv even thought about it with one of mine who has better recall than my other one but at the end of the day.. their lives are just too precious to me to risk them! I know I would never forgive myself if something was to happen because I'd gone against all the advise I've read about huskies not going off lead!

As others have said if your trainer is encoraging this he clearly doesnt know the breed and if he is pressuring you against your better judgement then I'd look for a better trainer!

We let ours off as much as possible, usually down on playing fields between river and canal. Shaer we can walk along paths for miles and she stays close and returns when she is called. Talon forgets about recall sometimes so we do not trust him on walks.

Buck was let off lead just about every day we had him, we had field behind our house so could walk him out of gate. There were horses, cows and sheep in some of the fields. He only ever once chased a rabbit 3 fields and rounded up a few sheep once (they had gotten out of their field). He rounded them up like a sheep dog but didn't attack them and came back to me when I shouted them.

A lot of breeds of dog would have attacked those sheep but he did not do so. It was my fault that he went near them because if I had seen them first he would not have rounded them up.

What I can say though from what I saw he would have made a good sheep dog.

I need to fish out the pictures of him mothering two baby lambs. It was so lovely the way he washed them and they cuddled up to him.

We let ours off as much as possible, usually down on playing fields between river and canal. Shaer we can walk along paths for miles and she stays close and returns when she is called. Talon forgets about recall sometimes so we do not trust him on walks.

Buck was let off lead just about every day we had him, we had field behind our house so could walk him out of gate. There were horses, cows and sheep in some of the fields. He only ever once chased a rabbit 3 fields and rounded up a few sheep once (they had gotten out of their field). He rounded them up like a sheep dog but didn't attack them and came back to me when I shouted them.

A lot of breeds of dog would have attacked those sheep but he did not do so. It was my fault that he went near them because if I had seen them first he would not have rounded them up.

What I can say though from what I saw he would have made a good sheep dog.

I need to fish out the pictures of him mothering two baby lambs. It was so lovely the way he washed them and they cuddled up to him.

Thats a very cute story Meesh, although if the farmer had seen him off lead near the sheep he would have been within his legal rights to shoot him, just becuase you know he wasnt dangerous if a farmer fears for his livestocks safety then the law is on his side unfortunalty so please do be careful letting your dogs off around livestock!

i think all huskies should be given a chance off lead , obviously not near roads but in an area where there is safe space to run , a big fenced off field for example , people seem to be so frightened of their dogs running off , usually listening to advice of others and never even give their dogs the chance to prove that not all huskies run away , give your pup the benefit of doubt. our two pups go off lead when we walk , in the woods , parks , river walks etc.... we have never had a problem....thats not to say we wont in the future - but so far i trust them completely.Lunar has chased and caught rabbits , but if i call her she will still come back - not wanting to let me take it off her , but still her recall is brilliant.good luck :)

we have a nice grassy area across the street (only houses on one side). We take all 3 across the street morning and night, and if hubby is home, I'll let Misha go off lead. She follows the other girls and has a great time. She does have stubborn moments. This evening she took off after a couple that was speed walking. She ran a couple houses up the street and came back. I'm really thinking the older she gets that I simply don't trust her on her own.

My Loki is 6 months old and I have a recall for him, but he would leave me in a heartbeat. There was one time at a children's park he got off his leash and he just ran and ran and luckily he ran into a group of people sitting down who didn't get scared of him and they occupied him until I could get him. But he could have just as easily ran off into the street a few feet further.

I love him too much to risk that one time I let him off being his last.

I am even sem-afriad of letting him off in the dog park because a few times he's shown interest in jumping the fence there, but I know as long as there are other dogs there, he'll lose focus of trying to get out. One of the Huskies I've met with at the park has actually jumped the fence and he was missing for two hours before his owner found him again.

Mine is never on lead and has been trained as such since he was six weeks old. I easily spend atleast 5+ hours a day out and about with him. Silver is 3 years old now, so 1095 days x 5 hours a day = 5,475 hours of off leash training. Thing is, I live in the bush. Would I trust him in the city off leash? Never! He's always leashed when I'm in the city. I trust his recall about 95%. The other 5% is what can get him killed. I don't want to say it isn't possible. I feel that Silver and I can accomplish it in a few more years, but it just isn't worth the risk.

I know this old man who has a place near mine. He was a musher and claims to have owned over 100 Siberian Huskies during his time. Out of all of those dogs he said there was only one he trusted 100% off lead.

Thank you all so much. I definately will NOT let him off lead outside. Yes, you guys guessed right, the trainer has most likely not even seen a husky before except on tv. There must be a total of 3 in my city! (including my little one) And he is a stubborn little guy. i've noticed that even at this age he only answers when he wants to. I'll watch him run free in our back yard I guess. The house sits on almost half an acre so it should be good enough. And Linda, you're right, there is really no need for him to be offlead outside our compound at all. Now i dread the day he figures out he can jump!!!