Those of you with re-home sib's

valkyries

Ok for all of you that have re-homed sib’s, I have a question for you.

I have 3 sib’s Odin from 8 weeks old and Thor an Loki are re-homes, but my re-homes have no idea how to play.

Let me explain, Odin if I throw or kick a football he run’s after it and will fetch it back to be thrown again, if I pick up say a rope toy, he will jump up and grab the other end and loves to play tug with us.

Now Thor an Loki our re-homes have no idea, if I throw a ball they sit and look at me, as if to say ‘why did you throw it away’

If I pick up a rope they will get a hold of the other end, but if you tug on it they will let go and wait for you to give it them back.

Now we play in the garden every day with them and their toys, but they just can’t grasp the concept of play in that way.

They do play with each other they run crazy, play fight and hump a lot lol, their past is patchy so I don’t really know much about them before they came to me.

So you people with re-home have you noticed a difference in a re-home and a sib you’ve had from a pup ??? If so how do you get them to play with you ????

We got Falkor at 8 weeks and he is now 9 months, he will chase balls, chew them, play with ropes, etc.

But with Noushka, we rehomed her at 12 months old over 8 years ago , and it is only since we got Falkor that she wil chase balls. Before that she had no idea what to do with any toys

We've fostered 5 & only 1 of them retrieved. The others would play/chase but it was their toy & didn't get if they bought it back the game continued!!

All 5 had different interests in playing & what they liked, so perhaps it's just not for them! Have you tried agility with them?? That may engage them more??

Will they play with water? Play with a treat as a bribe? Play with a treat hidden within it?

ive noticed Bingo is only REALLY good at playing tug of war - he clamps his jaws down and shakes his head like hes trying 2 kill the toy - makes me dread 2 think what he was gonna b used for - hes too friendly towards dogs tho - maybe thats y he was dumped - but when we got blaze they used 2 play fight and rip around the garden 2geva n the same when we got skyla - yet he still wont play with toys unless its a tug toy

skylas not overly fussed with toys too her previous owners only had her for 2 weeks

but blaze LOVES 2 play

Talon loves playing ball but Shaer is not interested, she will play on her own occasionaly. Both are rehomes.

Non of this is new to me Buck got as puppy would looose interested of ball after less than 4 throws.

Talon likes to tug things Shaer doesn't, neither did buck.

I don't think it as anything to do with a dog being rehomed

Talon loves playing ball but Shaer is not interested, she will play on her own occasionaly. Both are rehomes.

Non of this is new to me Buck got as puppy would looose interested of ball after less than 4 throws.

Talon likes to tug things Shaer doesn't, neither did buck.

I don't think it as anything to do with a dog being rehomed

were yours personal rehomes - or kennel rehomes?

maybe it depends on the dogs past - i cant imagine they get played with in the kennels and if some1 has brought these dogs n not realised how much care and attention they need they they wont rly have been played with

When we gave Nooks a new home we found he wasn't interested in play and was actually scared of new toys. He's never really been interested in playing fetch and it took a while for him to get interested in tug toys and then is still only half-ass'd also he wouldn't rough and tumble with me at first but with a little time and patientence he started to play fight with me. To try and get him to fetch we bought a squeaky football and a pig that oinks from Pets @home and that got him interested, but he'll only play at home with balls, its very rare that he'll fetch while at the dog park. he tends to chase the balls and either leave them or destroy them. It rather embarassing when their not even his that he's destroying.

My old husky, Twinkie was a rehome. I remember her not having an idea when I throw the ball. She just likes to walk, run and howl.

While Obi, the puppy plays a lot. He'll chase after toys and then hide it from me so I won't throw it away for few seconds.

He loves to play tug of war. He thinks his harness is a tug of war toy too. :/

Gracie was from a rescue at age 3.5. She was turned in because she chased livestock.

She plays only occasionally, and often by herself. She will chase something for 4 or 5 throws and bring it back so I can tug on it. She is a weird dog. She absolutely loves to go for walks but we have a half acrre fenced in the backyard and she rarely goes outside despite access thorugh a dog door. She goes out and poos ON THE DECK ffs and comes right back in. She can't be bothered to even get to the grass. I hope she likes to go out more when we have snow.

Her problem is she doesn't know how to play with other dogs. They just coexist. Its been very disappointing.

Darwin - Rehome - no interest in playing fetch, playfighting with Daughtry yes.

Echo GSD rehome. . . loves playing fetch. . . will chase balls from a ball launcher across a field and bring it back until she drops quivering with exhaustion.

Daughtry had her from 8 weeks, will occsaionally chase a ball and play tug but not much.

Sampson, found as a stray, would play a bit with stuffed animals and some with a tennis ball. He just liked to throw them about by his self and attack them. He was never very good at fetch though. He will play fight with me, making a lot a noise while he does it.

Nikita, had from 8wks, never was one for playing. Once shes got it, its hers until she either destroyed it or got tired of it. They both used to play tug of war a bit.

Luna will fetch, bring and drop whatever you throw, she even comes and puts it in your hand most of the time, she'll do it for hours and hours or as long as you can do it for. She loves Tug toys and will always play tug of war with anything that you can grab on to if you start to pull it etc. she just gets it somehow, she was rehomed to me from her first owner at 13 weeks old.

Myshka has always played, tug rope, run after a ball, rough & tumble with us (would not retrieve though) but Diesel does not know how to play - try rough & tumble, he looks at you as if you have lost your marbles - tug rope, get him to hold it, you pull, he drops - balls, either no interest or rip it to shreds. It's taken him months to accept that Myshka is playing with him, he used to cower at first, now he runs & shouts at her :D