Whats the best collar to stop my two pulling??

gizmo

Hiya guys was hoping i could get some advice right here goes my two are pulling not to the extreme but im using collars at the mo n training leads when out for a walk but when they decide to pull they're gagging on their collars:( i was considering harnesses but that just encourages them to do it more :( lol ive been using a head halti on my fluff ball Ruby but the bugga can get it off n it seems to be marking her face:( .............so any advice on what to get and if poss where from would be most appreciated thanxs in advance colB)

i use an ezydog harness with a double ended lead - and a canny collar - the canny collar stops the pulling doesnt ride up in2 their eyes and doesnt rub the fur on their noses either - i attach the double ended lead 2 the canny collar and the harness incase blaze manages 2 slip the canny - he hasnt been able 2 yet tho

We have pinch/prong collars for our 2, we don't always use them, but Balto pulls my mum around a bit, so she needs it the most. They work lol!

I use the same for my Pongo. without it, he'd be pulling me down the street. although these need to be used correctly with training first as you're not supposed to yank on it. we tried the gentle leader harness and it works only for a little bit then my dog ended up pulling himself and getting flipped on his back which i felt was quite dangerous for himblink.gif i just feel like i have more control with the pinch collar and he heels so nice after training with it. good luck with whatever you choose!

Loki's too young for a pinch/prong collar right now. So I've made due with what's available. You do have to remember though, all no-pull products are merely TOOLS in training not to pull. Without proper use or with inconsistency, they won't work. They won't be a miracle cure either, it's something you have to keep up with.

Loki is 6 months and is old enough for a prong collar. Balto was given one by our trainer at 5 months, and Alaska 4 months - they were given puppy prongs, by 6 months they can have an adult prong. They don't need to be any age as it does not damage them if used properly, a sharp, short correction from you does the trick, your not meant to let him pull slightly or do long tugs, gentle tugs must be quick - you may think by doing a soft, long correction your being kinder, but your not, he'll just pull a little on the pinch and if he does this everyday it could bruise his neck. I chose this on the advice of our trainer, he said Halti's can also go wrong and need more understanding then pinches, he had cases brought to him where the halti had damaged some of the finer bones in the neck due to the dog pulling anyway - i dont really like them for similar reasons. My sibes are 2 years now and out on walks we rarely have to correct them, the mere fact its on their neck is a deterrent enough not pull:)

I use a canny coller on both my girls when i am in busy areas but harness when in open spaces. I have tried choke chains did not like them just did not feel comfy to me so stoped useing them when Akia is on her long lead having freedom I have a rubber bungie thing it really helps my shoulder as it takes the shock away for Akia aswell as for me. My hubby said I could open a shop with the amount of leads I have...lol. You just have to find what works for you and your babys.

With Nooks we have a half check collar and a metal spring shock absorber both of which we got from pets@home, although these helped it was mainly treat encouraged training on his walks that finally got him to walk to heel for the most part. I set check points along his walking routes and gave him a treat at everyone where he'd walked to heel from the previous one. He soon got the idea. After the first few times he'd learnt where it was treat time and would look up at me in askance when we'd reached the check points. Now the only time he pulls is at new places where its had to do the check point thing, going from the car to the dog park where he will not heel for love nor treats because he's so excited to go and play with the other dogs, and when he see's a new dog he wants to make friends with. Last one not so bad as time goes on though lol.

I have a lot of people telling me that a halti is a cure all for pulling but I've had others tell me that they are easier to get around and if they actually break then you still have to deal with a pulling dog as it doesn't correct anything in the long term. There used to be a woman at the dog park that used to walk her clients dogs there who swears by the Canni colar as it leads from the rear rather than the side and she's said to me that with them they are harder for a dog to find their way around them.

Hope some of this helps in anyway.

You do have to remember though, all no-pull products are merely TOOLS in training not to pull. Without proper use or with inconsistency, they won't work. They won't be a miracle cure either, it's something you have to keep up with.

Great advice.

When Dakota was a puller, I used the Canny Collar (with a clip attaching it to his half-check in case he slipped the Canny) to help me work with him. He didn't pull hardly at all with it, which made it easier for me to work with him in teaching him verbal commands like "easy" and doing the thing where I stop walking any time he does pull (got that advice from someone here on the forum). Work with the Canny enabled us to transition to his half-check, which we use most of the time now. I use the Canny only every once in awhile when he needs a reminder.

But, yes, it is definitely something I have to keep up with. He can regress back to his old pulling ways in just one walk if I let him start pulling. I have to say "easy" and stop walking until he stops pulling, no matter what. Some days are still better than others!