To everyone who went to the Oxford meet, please read

vinny1275

Morning all,

Mickey started with a cough towards the end of last week, he went to the vet yesterday and she thinks he's got kennel cough :(

He could have had it when we went to meet everyone at Oxford but not been showing the symptoms, so please keep an eye on your furbabies in case, especially the pups...

(I know he didn't get close to many dogs as he was trying to be the unfriendliest dog there, but we figured we should warn everyone in case). He seems better today after being started on antibiotics yesterday, fingers crossed he picked it up after the meet tho.

Cheers

Vince

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just in case people are not aware of what kennel cough is,

Infectious Bronchitis – otherwise known as ‘Kennel Cough’, is a very contagious disease of the respiratory system, which affects dogs of all ages. The disease is caused by a mixture of viruses and bacteria, which pass easily from dog to dog as a droplet infection, wherever dogs congregate – in boarding kennels, dog shows, training classes, or simply out on walks.

kennel_cough_0.jpgAffected dogs typically develop a very harsh, dry, hacking cough, which can often last several weeks, causing sleepless nights and worry for all concerned. The cough can be so severe, that it often sounds as if the dog is choking! At the same time, the dog may run a temperature, go off his or her food, and become quite lethargic – similar symptoms to human ‘flu’. In immuno-compromised animals, kennel cough can sometimes be fatal.

But the good news is that Kennel Cough can be prevented. So if your canine friend is attending training or agility classes, or going to shows, then it is advisable to protect them against this disease. Conscientious boarding kennels will insist that your dog is vaccinated against Kennel Cough, and will insist on seeing the relevant paperwork before taking your pet.

The vaccine differs from your dog’s usual annual vaccination, in that it is squirted up the nostril, rather than being injected under the skin on the neck. In general we recommend that the vaccine is given at least 1 - 2 weeks in advance of attending kennels or classes.

If your dog is unfortunate in becoming infected with Kennel Cough, the first thing that you are likely to notice is a dry, wretching cough. Depending on how severe the infection is, your dog may also exhibit signs including :- lethargy, reluctance to eat, fever, runny eyes and/or nose and depression. Unfortunately, there is no specific treatment for Kennel Cough. The most important thing that you can do for your dog once infected, is to rest him or her. Antibiotics may be prescribed to prevent secondary bacterial infections which could lay your dog open to pneumonia etc. Coupage (patting the chest with cupped hands) and steam inhalation can both help the cough - the latter can be achieved by running a hot bath with your bathroom door shut, and sitting in the steamy room with your dog for 10 - 20 minutes. Sadly, Kennel Cough frequently lasts for 4 weeks, and your pet will be contagious to other dogs for up to 3 months! All of this is why we consider 'prevention being better than cure'!

Don’t take any chances with Kennel Cough!

aww poor mickey bless him :( - have u let catherine know - huskycat on here - as i know mickey was around her lot and was playing like mad with enzo - im just wondering cuz hes gone 2 his new home now so catherine might need 2 get in touch with his new owners

ill pm her now thanks nix

Lesson learned..... we had checked with the rescue centre for vacinations and they gave a printed list of all the ones under the sun he had been given.... failed to notice that kennel cough was not on there (to be honest i thought it was listed under some weird medical name on the list and assumed that he should have had it) ..... also the vet failed to notice it was not on there when we first picked him up a couple of months ago and first got him rgeistered and checked out with our local surgery...... i asked the vets to double check his records yesterday including the rescue centre vets notes and it was never done.......worst of all is knowing that we could of prevented him from being poorly and prevented worrying everyone else...... :( :( :( :(

One positive thing at least is it can be lesson learned and Mickey is actually looking a bit better this afternoon

Thanks for the loveley messages and hope all are safe and well XXXXX :)

just a quick question do the symptoms include sickness ??? all 3 of mine in the last 24 hours have been sick xxxxx

yes the symptoms can be vomiting .......................................but symptoms appear 3-5 days after exposure!!!

so most of our dogs would have been sick and passed it already.... if in doubt consult your local vet

A bit off topic, but how often should they be vaccinated? Jon was given his vaccine at 8 or 10 weeks, I think, but we take him to the dog park regularly.

most vaccines after the first two are good for a year, jon should be vaccinated yearly

if you want to ask more questiond then please post a new thread!

kelly

if you dont kow how then pm me and ill talk you through it

Big D was sick last night too - Myshka has been OK, just think it was the food, they both ate the same but it was a new fish for them, maybe D's got a sensitive tum, x hope the 3 musketeers are ok, xx

D's is deffo nothing to do with kennel cough though. How's Mickey doing now?

Just to say that even if he had been vaccinated against kc, he might still have contracted it. The vaccine is changed all the time, like the human flu one, to cope with the known strains of the cough around at that time, it only covers against 70% of known strains. Most rescues/breeders/owners don't vaccinate against kc as a matter of course, you need to ask your vet at the time of boosters etc to do it.

I tend to get ours done, my own dogs and the rescues, but its not actually something that worries me that much, except in very young or old dogs. I would always make sure that my Vincent is done, as he had a very bad start to life and was lucky to have survived into adulthood, but the others, it would be just like us getting a bad cold, not very nice, but not a huge deal.

Of course there is the possibility that he picked it up at the meet, and another dog could have been a carrier, if the other dog was vaccinated, it wouldn't show, but they could still carry it. Also, as it is so easily spread, I wouldn't recommend walking a dog with kc, unless you can go somewhere thats not frequented by other dogs.