Getting your sibes attention when out walking

Allan

Hi everyone,

Our Sason, is now 15 months old, we rehomed him just over a month ago and he is getting on very well. We live right next door to the coast and a massive nature reserve and one of the largest untouched by man dune systems in britian. Perfect for dog walks!!!

Sason loves his walks and we usually walk him on a 100ft lead so he can roam about and jump around at his pleasure, but we can't get his attention, even if he is a meter away from me. We can shout and call his name but he'll just look the other way and wonder off doing his own thing.

At home we have his full attention all of the time. If we call him, he comes, if we give him a command he does it fine (usually first time).. He loves cheese, so everytime he gets a bit we make it as exciting as possible for him, saying "cheeeeese" in the stupidest way ever!... If we get him out on a walk and shout cheese, he never comes. he is just too interested in hunting and sniffing and leaping in the air. We've tried normal short length dog leads but he just pulls and pulls and still doesn't listen, tried walking the other way to see if he comes, tried standing still until he comes... you name it.. Maybe I just need to get used to being ignored when he is out and about??

Does anyone have any ideas we can try to get him to come to us or even just get him look in our direction when he is walking?

this is the worst thing when out walking, were gettting our pup of lead on walks and he does come back to us, sometimes he doesnt though, when his attention is on something else, if we shout him and tell him to sit and stay he does, then we try telling him to come but he doesnt, so stay is the best way for us, and then treatys for doing as he is told!

if he is on a big lead say come about 3 times if he doesnt, pull him towards you by the lead, but id keep practising it, when he has come to you by pulling the lead give him treats :) thats what puppy class said lol xx

hope he obeys you soon :)

More silly noises it is.. We already sound like idiots screaming "Cheeese" into the air, but he just doesn't care.

Also read somewhere that I need to think of an open area which is quite large. then without talking to the dog, get him in the car, and take him to this place. Still not talking to him, get him on the lead, and start walking, as soon as he pulls tight on the lead, yank it, and walk the other way, still not talking to him, repeat this over and over and over until he stays close to you. Apparently this confuses the dog and because you aren't talking to him, he looks at you to see which way you are going to stop him be yanked, and to get your attention.

I'll try this too I think..

Do they have a favourite "SQUEEKY" toy.

If so take that with you and squeek it to get their attention.. . biggrin.gif

When they pay attention praise them and give a treat.