Bathing

Danielle-Ste

do u have a bath mat in your bath - ive heard they dont like the feel of the bath under their paws n bathmats might help

i just dunk mine in the and wash them as quickly as possible - they dont need cleaning often tho as they keep themselves clean - its only if they roll in summin stinky they need baths

rooney goes nuts when i try and clean him.. the excitement of the hose i guess! he soon settles down and actually loves it.. living in Thailand means this provides a good opportunity for him to cool down.. saying that i still dread the times i have to clean him. before we could take the fluffy little puppy to be cleaned for about 2 quid nearby our house, now they won't go near him!! haha

Mine HATES baths! He is a nightmare in the tub (always trying and sometimes succeeding in jumping out) and bathing outside he is awful, fighting relentlessly to get away. The method that works best for us is bathing him in the walk in shower where there is a door and he can't get out. He knows he can't get out so he doesn't fight so much and really is just limited to whining. Now getting him into the shower is another thing now that he knows that shower = bath. :rolleyes:

Right when Pongo was a pup we gave him a bath once every week to get him used to it. now we just say get in and he jumps in the tubsmile.gif Also right after the bath we would give him a treat as well and praise him. After we got our rapid bath pet system he LOVES baths. I guess it's more soothing than dumping a bucket of water on him lol. http://www.rapidbathing.com/ this is what we use, although I use my own shampoo and don't buy the inserts as I don't think it's enough soap for my liking.

Right when Pongo was a pup we gave him a bath once every week to get him used to it. now we just say get in and he jumps in the tubsmile.gif Also right after the bath we would give him a treat as well and praise him. After we got our rapid bath pet system he LOVES baths. I guess it's more soothing than dumping a bucket of water on him lol. http://www.rapidbathing.com/ this is what we use, although I use my own shampoo and don't buy the inserts as I don't think it's enough soap for my liking.

Does it work better than a normal hose/bath?

I bath mine in the tub and shower hose them off to rinse. I use a rubber bath mat as they feel safer as they have a grip to stand on. They try to jump out at the stat but once you reassure them that they won't slip in the bath they are ok. Like somebody said hold them tight and rub their head. Plenty of playing and treats after the bath and they will associate the bath with playtime and treats.

Bo absolutely hated water - bath, tub, pond, creek, or puddle. As far as baths went, about the age of seven, he decided that he'd had enough and promptly let me know. I respected his wishes as I am weak! He lived until the ripe old age of 15 years and 4 months, nearly eight years after that last bath. AND he probably kept himself cleaner than my cat does.

As far as ponds and creeks, he would generally wade but wasn't fond of water which came above his chest.

Mine love the lake and swimming pool to no end. They would live in there if they could. Baths? Not at all. They hate them. When Cheyenne was a young pup she would scream like someone was dousing her with fire and not water! Eventually, the screaming stopped but she will take off the moment she sees a chance. It's much easier when I can restrain them and tie them to something (like tying their leashes to the chain-link fencing at the dog park and washing them there) or washing them at work where we have bathing tubs.

When we first brought Lyra home, she had really dry skin so we slathered her in oatmeal and gave her a bath. Oh, how she SCREAMED. She absolutely hated being rinsed off. Over the past month we have been bringing her to the beach on warm days and letting her wade in the water. It took a few times for her to willingly approach it, and she still won't swim, but at least she goes in to cool off. We gave her a bath yesterday and were pleasantly surprised that there was no screaming at all. She tried to escape a couple of times, but after a couple of minutes she just sat down and tried to lick us if we got too close. :)

Have you tried introducing your pup to water other than in the bath? Maybe that will help? And tiring them out beforehand surely helps - Lyra was pretty exhausted yesterday. That might be why she didn't make a fuss.

- Kelly

All of mine hate them but i never bathe them anyway, i live near the sea n they always go in n i give them a rub down in the sea.

If any of them roll in something nasty, like Nanook rolling in fish guts in Porthleven eeeeewwwwww, i normally hose them down in the back garden....................

Im sure my neighbours think im kickin the crap outta them with the noise they make ! :lol:

Niko is a good boy in the bath and i tend to bath him evry month so the more you do it the easier it will get. You need to keep calm and keep talking away to them! I found a great shampoo and conditioner, bit pricey to start with but it needs to be diluted down in which you get at least 10 baths out of them. They also lather up really well and smell great, if you google designer dog uk you will see their stock, its a great place and they do a lot of crufts and dog stands at shows. The beauty of their shampoo its easy to put on and even easier to rinse away!!! Good luck!:rolleyes: