Husky Barking?

MissBella

Hey, so I was just wondering if husky's bark? Because when my other two bark, Bella just looks very concerned, running around in circles as though she has noooo idea what to do..its kinda cute to watch, but i dont know if its because shes a husky or still young even though she going to be a yr tomorrow!! /:P :o

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lyra barks when she's excited or frustrated about something. A typical conversation between her and another dog goes: "Bark bark bark bark aroooo rooo" and repeat. Her pitch has gotten a lot deeper over the last couple of weeks, which is great because her barking isn't quite so ear-splitting anymore.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

My Husky rather bark than howl which i find very odd, I've asked the teachers at her k9 school and they said that if i wanted to hear her howl i'll hear it when she's in season and she's already finished her season and no howling. she has never howled and she is 7 months. i've got a few friends that has husky and they said their dogs started to howl around 4~5 months. Is there something wrong with her? i've heard her whine and cry but is that still considered as howling?? I know when they howl they will tilt their heads. do you guys think she'll ever howl? haha

love xx

mine bark as a shout like 'oi dont ignore me'

and jeney

daughtry doesnt howl often....infact only twice and she is almost a year....she howled when she was in season and if my boy darwin howls she will join in....

trust me some people would prefer it if their dogs did not howl

mine woo a lot though......darwin will chat back when i tell him to get off the bed and to get downstairs but doesnt bark much unless its playful

Haha, I've heard that from many people that they sometime prefer it if their dogs didn't howl. but she barks for everything, like when i talk to her it's like a 'woof woof' or when i tell her to get off the bed it will be a growl and a bark haha oh wells. one day i'll be able to hear her sing thanks for replying kells (:

love xx

Jeney, I have two huskies, but only Ozzy will give the occasional howl.

Micah barks - she barks when she wants Ozzy to play and also when visitors come to the house - she is very loud and high pitched :blink: But she also 'talks' a lot, she will talk when she wants something or she back-chats me when I tell her to do something she doesn't want to do. I wish I could stop her from barking though :(

Ozzy on the other hand never barks - but he does 'talk' when he wants something and he howls only when he hears a dog or child cry, even if it is on TV - he has the most beautiful howl - deep and soulful - the most awesome sound I have ever heard. We don't encourage him to howl, but we do sit back and enjoy it when he does :)

Vix is a real talker.

Think the dog from k9 films and you'll get an idea of whats she's like when she's after something, wants our attention or is really giddy.

She does bark on command, and also she'll bark like crazy if anyone approaches the house, which in all honesty we encourage as we used to get a lot of cold callers to the house before we got her. When people knock they hear her first, and when she hears the door go, her bark is very loud and deep, so it sounds like its coming from a much bigger dog.

Strangly enough we dont have many strangers come to our house anymore!!

It's differnt story when my mum comes round though. Soon as Vix sees her coming out the car, hold everything down in sight as she goes mental for mum! She loves Granma Christine....:P

ive only ever head my 2 year old howl twice - once was a little small 1 which included barking (see vid) weve had my girl for 7 months (she will be a yr old in dec) and she doesnt howl at all but she SCREAMS - its not a nice sound

they are getting more vocal as they get older, dont worry tooooo much if she doesnt howl, some huskies NEVER make a peep

FaTKIFAmqIY

In general, my boy didn't bark. He was a more of a talker, though would bark on command - even barking softer or louder when told. Ryn is not a barker, and isn't much of a talker yet either. She does scold other dogs and even me if she feels slighted or 'unloved'.

I prefer that she doesn't become a barker. We live on the highway and have a lot of strange people come to the door (those stalled along the road and sales calls - also the occasional customer from my husband's business located just down the road). Chance is our guard. He's very vocal about people coming in the drive or to the door. I hope that Ryn will be more of a silent presence, like Bo was. He scared off more people by just standing there and looking at them than Chance ever will. For some reason, most people seem to be scared of a dog who just watches as opposed to those who become un-glued when they arrive.

Much of it depends upon the general personality of the dog and how they are taught to react to different situations.

Don't worry, she'll begin howling and before you know it, you'll want her to be more quiet!