German Shepherd X Siberian Husky.

Ron Tao&Sky

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See I have to say I'm in two minds with this whole making up names for cross breeds thing... on the one hand its abit of harmless fun and sounds funny (cockapoo! PMSL!!) HOWEVER on the other hand there is a more serious element that people completely uneducated in the dog world actually believe that they are a real breed and pay rediculous soms of money to unscrupulous breeders to aquire what is esentially a cross breed fad, and this goes hand in hand with people breeding and aquireing dogs as a fashion crazy, which just results in more unwanted cross breeds in rescues! And I know people who argue that at some stage in every breeds history they are all just a bunch of cross breeds until they get recognision from a breed club or whatever, but I just cant help thinking that this is abit of a weak excuss given the kind of throw away society we have now, where people dont have the consentration to sit through a whole television program let alone actually go through the many generations of dog in order to breed a particular strain and suport it to become a recognised breed! Also many breeds where bred and selected originally for actual jobs where as today many of these "New breeds" are being bred purly on a whim of "oh isn't that cute? I want one"

I have seen some desidedly dodgey looking website for Utonagans and Northen Inuits that openly admit that their only motive behind breeding is to make dogs that look like wolves, now SOME of these dogs will go to loving homes that will treasure them but I cant help thinking that quite alot of them will just go to mindless idiots that want a dog that "looks hard" and have no knowledge of what care the breed requires.

So I really am torn as I have myself refered to cross breeds as huskamutes and cockapoos etc as a means to discribing a particular cross of dog but it really doesnt quite sit well with me... I dunno, I guess its just another one of those things that requires an ounce of interity where most of the world is saddly lacking?

Ron I think you pup is very sweet and Im sure you didnt mean anything by wanting to "name its breed" I guess I just wanted to say what I have just to make people stop and think a minute before naming a cross breed with a cute title for the sake of those pups that arnt given a cute name when they end up in rescues they are just another cross breed.

from what i can see from browsing the web, there is no official name

although siberian shepherd or siber shepherd seem to be quite popular

there is the northern inuit / utongan, but thats a mix of 5 dogs of unknown origin and gsd x husky x malamute.

Thanks every one for your input. :g_cool: I was just wondering if they had a name out of curiosity. I totally agree with what has been said by Sarah and Nixy. To me he is just beautiful bundle of fun and mischief mixed together and I would not have him any other way.:happy: ........Ron

Gorgeous dog, but why would a cross breed have a name? I agree with Sarah and Nix on this one. Obviously it can be just a harmless bit of fun, my dog when I was a kid was a Labcolal hound but hey, that was before designer dogs.

Northern Inuits are a bit different, as they have been deliberately crossed to make a new breed, which lets face it, is the way all breeds start out. I know they are shrouded in controversy, but apparently they do keep breed records and hope to be a recognised breed one day.

I have two GSD/sibe crosses, Nannuq looks more GSD and Duffy looks more sibe. Duffy's brother lives nearly, and he really just looks like a chunky GSD. Duffy has her Mum's face (she was the sibe).

German Shepherd x Siberian Husky = Gerberian Shepsky is a hybrid breed recognized by the ACHC

Northern Inuits, Tamaskans, Utonagan, Czechslovakian Wofldogs and Sarloos Wolfhounds are all mixes of Siberian Husky, German Shepherd and Alaskan malamute. Some have wolf crossbreeding back in the line, but for the most part they are all domestic dogs and are registered with their respective kennel clubs given the young age of these breeds.

inuits.jpg

Norther Inuit

Tamaskan.jpg

Tamaskan

wpcfa8e33f.png

Utonagan

czech2.jpg

Czechoslovakian Wofldog

saarloos2.jpg

The Sarloos Wolfhound is the oldest and most recognized of these breeds and closest to the german shepherd, as they are used for herding.

http://www.inetdesig...olfdunn/breeds/

Other wolfdog and wolf-look-alinke dog info

Other German Shepherd crossbreeds include the Kuming Dog

Kunming_Dog.jpg

and the Lupo Italiano, created by the Italian government for working purposes.

lupoitaliano1.JPG

interesting read kroush,

i would be very wary of introducing wolf DNA back into dogs. i can understand where the desire for a wolf lookalike comes from , but i wouldn't risk it.

i have heard stories where wolf hybrids have turned and gone savage on their owners. don't know if this is a higher rate than usual, as papers like to hype stories to sell more.

i would rather have a Utonagan (no recent wolf DNA), than risk fresh wolf DNA (like the sarloos or the Czechoslovakian wolf crosses)

The Northern Inuit and Utonagan were developed in England

The Saarloos Wolfhound in the Netherlands

The Czechosloviakian Wolfdog, in the Czech republic.

The Tamaskan in Finland

The Czech is recognized byt the FCI and CSSR

The Tamaskan is only recognized by Tamaskan specific kennel clubs.

The Saarloos Wolfhound is recognized by the FCI and The Dutch Kennel Club. The breed was originally meant to create a German Shepherd immune to distemper.

The Utonagan came from the same founding parents of the Northern Inuit, but were taken to America to further establish the breed. The Utonagan is not a recognized breed by any kennel club.

The Northern Inuit are recognized by the British Kennel Club and respective Inuit specific Kennel Clubs and associations.

interesting read kroush,

i would be very wary of introducing wolf DNA back into dogs. i can understand where the desire for a wolf lookalike comes from , but i wouldn't risk it.

i have heard stories where wolf hybrids have turned and gone savage on their owners. don't know if this is a higher rate than usual, as papers like to hype stories to sell more.

i would rather have a Utonagan (no recent wolf DNA), than risk fresh wolf DNA (like the sarloos or the Czechoslovakian wolf crosses)

These dogs no longer contain much wolf DNA. They were originally bred with wolves, but not in current day.

However the younger breeds may still be introducing wolves as they are still being established.

Unfortunately, people are going to breed and sell wolves and wolf hybrids which aren't temperament checked or anything because it's an obsession people have. At least with these breeds, they have a standard and any dog that does not meet it will not be bred. (By reputable breeders in any case.)