what is the difference?

achmedsmom

I know this may sound silly but I just wonder, what exactly is the difference between a siberian husky and a malamute? the only thing i have noticed thus far is the tail and the way it curves to the side instead of straight up.... is there a personality difference or something i am unaware of? i have posted that we are looking for another husky, and i have found some malamutes that i think are adorable but i'm just wondering if there is a major difference i should be aware of before even thinking of pairing a sibe with a mal??? I want to make sure I enter into our second puppy aware of everything and if we choose to give a home to the mal i don't want to be suprised. I am not looking to breed, my achmed is fixed and any husky we get will be the same if not already (we are thinking of rehoming a rescue) from his biography he is a very sweet boy with a very happy disposition, he is great with kids and other dogs and is fixed and trained( perfect for what would be a house of 6! lol) anyways, any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Aside from being a different breed, Mals are larger than Huskies. They are stronger, but normally less active than Huskies. Mals like Huskies, are not good to let off lead. The breeder that we acquired Zoya from, also had Mals. Their lead male Mal was 165 pounds. Huge compared to their Huskies. I've heard of Malamutes, Alaskan Malamutes, and Giant Alaskan Malamutes. Not sure if there are three divisions within the breed, or if the three names all refer to the same.

We did some research into malamutes before we settled on a husky. Keep in mind that this is just from what I've read - online, books, forums, etc. Other than the physical differences with malamutes being larger, having wider-set ears, and a bushier tail, there are also usually some personality differences. Huskies were bred to run and work closely with humans, so they do well as pack animals with other dogs and are very stranger friendly. I've heard malamutes can be a little more aloof and don't necessarily get along with other dogs, especially of the same sex, unless well-socialized as puppies. Cats would also be a no-go. I've also read that they are just as intelligent and strong-willed as huskies, so they need a firm but understanding owner. We ultimately decided on a husky because we are a multi-pet household.

Let's see ... the only other thing I can remember is that purebred malamutes aren't supposed to be capable of having blue eyes - only brown.

I hope this helps!

- Kelly

Think of the difference as being like that between a draft horse, like a Clydesdale (Mal) and a carriage horse (Sibe). The Mal is a larger dog, designed more to pull heavy loads at slower speeds for long distances, where the Siberian is bred to pull light loads at faster speeds over a long distance.

Temperament in either breed can vary widely - a lot depends on how they've been bred and socialized - for either! When I moved to my area, the staff at my vet's clinic were surprised at how nice and well-behaved my dogs were, and commented that most of the Siberians they had had in weren't very nice. Generally, however, Siberians were bred by the Chukchi women, who from what I have read, selected dogs with good temperaments so they could live inside, helping keep the family warm. A friend who used to travel with a Malamute breeder (a reputable and responsible breeder, from what I heard) to shows commented that the breeder told her to back off if one of her Mals grumbled, because she didn't want her to be bitten.

To elaborate on some of the noticeable differences is not only are they larger, there is a subtle difference in the head and facial areas of the mals. I've noticed it in mals I have seen online and in the flesh and it seems to be that mals heads are a little more broad and their muzzels tend to be slightly stubbier compared to a sibe. Nooks gets his mal looks from his mother. Even as a cross between the two, Nooks loves to play with both humans and other dogs and I've never seen him start a fight only react to when he's been attacked.

hey, the tails dont neccesarily go to the side, but they are big and bushy!!! absolutely gorgeous!!! their ears are set wider apart, they look a lot 'chunkier' they are more chilled out than huskies, and they have a low pitched song-absolutely stunning......now everything we love about ozzy is falling into place now we know he's a huskamute, his temprament and how chilled out he is.......we'd definately get a mal at some point in the future.......Meesh's dogs seem to get on amazingly well and one is husky and one is mal......maybe give her a PM :)

.......we'd definately get a mal at some point in the future.......

I agree with how you feel on that one, thats why I was tempted by the year old mute bitch in Surrey. I think with the Huskamute you get the best of both breeds though, but then I'm biased lol.

I agree with how you feel on that one, thats why I was tempted by the year old mute bitch in Surrey. I think with the Huskamute you get the best of both breeds though, but then I'm biased lol.

I suspect my boy might have Mally in him specially given what everyone is discribing about the Mally temprement, and Iv had a Mally owner look him over and she agrees, he has the wide ear set the BIG fluffy tail HUGE paws and quite wide head with a short muzzle (thats what makes him look smilier than my Nuks) Temprament wise hes ALOT more laid back than Nuks, he could laze around all day, the only serious fight hes ever bin in was over food (hes a greedy lad and tried to take someone elses) hes also very vocal and has a low grumbly whhooooo! Seems to fit. I do think he has alot of the best of both breeds to! :D

Sorry Ashley got side tracked there for a mo! Anywho yep agree with the above really, muuuuch bigger if their pure mal very good pull on them Iv held on to my friends girl who is the same age as my girl and comparitvly my girl doesnt feel like shes pulling at all where the mally girl nearly pulled me over!!

If Iv got my history straight on the Mally breed where huskies lived closely with their families and other dogs alot of the time Mals where left to roam when not working so they are not quite as good with other dogs sometimes (especially the same sex) they can take an instant dislike to another dog and they are so big that if they do you just HAVE to keep them apart.

They are abit more weary of strangers, but when in family environments VERY laid back (dispite the size dif I dont think they would need as much exercise as a sibe)

Having said that as with sibes alot of it is down to the individual dog so if you've seen one that you like the sound of go take the whole family along, introduce your sibe to him on neutral ground and just see how they get on, they might just be instant buddies! :)

Best of luck and let us know how you get on! :lol:

I'd recommend walking an adult one first & see if you can cope with the size, weight & the pull!

I tried a 6mth puppy & said to the OH....noooooo way unless he was prepared to do ALL of the walking!

The grow HUGE

thats not entilerly true tho is it because if you get a pup and are willing to put in the time and effort - u can train it not to pull

they do grow quite big tho i have 2 friends who both previously owned huskamutes - 1 was sibe sized the other was mal sized - and he was at the bigger end of the mal scale - huge but STUNNING - if we had the room when he was rehomed we would ov had him

See, Ashley - nothing about your question sounded silly at all! We are predominantly husky owners here, but we are blessed to have mal & mal x owners too who can give their experiences & knowledge of the breed. We rescued a red "husky" (Diesel) 1 year ago, we traced his background, vets, microchip & he was listed as husky everywhere - but we know he is a huskamute. He does not have the full features of a mal, but he has all the characteristics (laid back, easy going) of the mal breed, but he can be as sneaky as a sibe when he wants! :lol:

I'd recommend walking an adult one first & see if you can cope with the size, weight & the pull!

I tried a 6mth puppy & said to the OH....noooooo way unless he was prepared to do ALL of the walking!

The grow HUGE

they just need training not to pull, it can be done.

although it is a good idea to see if you can cope with a full sized one, someone near us has a pair of mals, and the boy is huge, the gent was having real difficulty getting him go with him when i walked past with suki.

they just need training not to pull, it can be done.

although it is a good idea to see if you can cope with a full sized one, someone near us has a pair of mals, and the boy is huge, the gent was having real difficulty getting him go with him when i walked past with suki.

i have the same problem with blaze n hes a husky lol he is sooo difficult to move on when we see another dog - hes gettin better tho

i found this info

Breed Standard of an Alaskan Malamute

General Appearance

The Alaskan Malamute, is one of the oldest Arctic sled dogs, it is a powerful and substantially built dog with a deep chest and strong, well-muscled body. The Malamute stands well over the pads, and this stance gives the appearance of much activity and a proud carriage, with an erect head and alert eyes, showing their unbounded interest, and curiosity.

The head is broad. Ears are triangular, and erect when alerted. The muzzle is bulky, only slight diminishing in width from root to nose. The muzzle is not pointed or long, yet not stubby. The coat is thick, with a coarse guard coat of sufficient length to protect a woolly undercoat. Malamutes are of various colours. Face markings are a distinguishing feature. These consist of a cap over the head, the face either all white or marked with a bar and/or mask. The tail is well furred, carried over the back, and has the appearance of a waving plume.

The Malamute must be a heavy boned dog with sound legs, good feet, deep chest and powerful shoulders, and have all of the other physical attributes necessary for the efficient performance of his job. The gait must be steady, balanced, tireless and totally efficient. He is not intended as a racing sled dog designed to compete in speed trials. The Malamute is structured for strength and endurance, and any characteristic of the individual specimen.

Size, Proportion, Substance

There is a natural range in size in the breed. The desirable freighting sizes are: males, 25 inches at the shoulders, 85 pounds; females, 23 inches at the shoulders, 75 pounds. However, size consideration should not outweigh that of type, proportion, movement and other functional attributes. When dogs are judged equal in type, proportion, movement, the dog nearest the desirable freighting size is to be preferred.

The depth of chest is approximately one half the height of the dog at the shoulders, the deepest point being just behind the forelegs. The length of the body from point of shoulder, to the rear point of pelvis, is longer than the height of the body from ground to top of the withers. The body carries no excess weight, and bone is in proportion to its size.

Head

The head is broad and deep, not coarse or clumsy, but in proportion to the size of the dog. The expression is soft and indicates an affectionate disposition. The eyes are obliquely placed in the skull. Eyes are brown, almond shaped and of medium size. Dark eyes are preferred. Blue Eyes are a Disqualifying Fault.

The ears are of medium size, but small in proportion to the head. The ears are triangular in shape and slightly rounded at the tips. They are set wide apart on the outside back edges of the skull in line with the upper corner of the eye, giving ears the appearance, when erect, of standing off from the skull. Erect ears point slightly forward, but when the dog is at work, the ears are sometimes folded against the skull. High set ears are a fault.

The skull is broad and moderately rounded between the ears, gradually narrowing and flattening on top, as it approaches the eyes, rounding off to cheeks that are moderately flat. There is a slight furrow between the eyes. The top line of the skull, and the top line of the muzzle show a slight break downward from a straight line as they join.

The muzzle is large and bulky in proportion to the size of the skull, diminishing slightly in width and depth from junction with the skull to the nose. In all coat colours, except reds, the nose, lips, and eye rims' pigmentation is black. Brown is permitted in red dogs. The lighter streaked "snow nose" is acceptable. The lips are close fitting. The upper and lower jaws are broad with large teeth. The incisors meet with a scissors grip. Overshot or undershot is a fault.

Neck, Top line, Body

The neck is strong and moderately arched. The chest is well developed. The body is compactly built, but not short coupled. The back is straight and gently sloping to the hips. The loins are hard and well muscled. A long loin that may weaken the back is a fault. The tail is moderately set, and follows the line of the spine at the base. The tail is carried over the back when not working. It is not a snap tail or curled tight against the back, nor is it short furred like a fox brush. The Malamute tail is well furred, and has the appearance of a waving plume.

Forequarters

The shoulders are moderately sloping; forelegs heavily boned and muscled, straight to the pasterns when viewed from the front. Pasterns are short and strong, and slightly sloping when viewed from the side. The feet are of the snowshoe type, tight and deep, with well-cushioned pads, giving a firm, compact appearance. The feet are large, toes tight fitting and well arched. There is a protective growth of hair between the toes. The pads are thick and tough; toenails short and strong.

Hindquarters

The rear legs are broad and heavily muscled through the thighs; stifles moderately bent; hock joints are moderately bent and well let down. When viewed from the rear, the legs stand and move true in line with the movement of the front legs, not too close or too wide. Dewclaws on the rear legs are undesirable and should be removed shortly after puppies are whelped.

Coat

The Malamute has a thick, coarse guard coat, never long and soft. The undercoat is dense, from one to two inches in depth, it is oily and woolly. The coarse guard coat varies in length as does the undercoat. The coat is relatively short to medium along the sides of the body, with the length of the coat increasing around the shoulders and neck, down the back, over the rump, and in the breeching and plume. Malamutes usually have a shorter, and less dense coat during the summer months. The Malamute is shown naturally. Trimming is not acceptable except to provide a clean cut appearance of the feet.

Colour

The usual colours range from light gray, through intermediate shadings, to black, sable, and shadings of sable to red. Colour combinations are acceptable in undercoats, points, and trimmings. The only solid colour allowable is all white. White is always the predominant colour on under body, parts of legs, feet, and part of face markings. A white blaze on the forehead and/or collar or a spot on the nape is attractive and acceptable. If the Malamute is mantled, and broken colours extend over the body or in uneven splashing , this is undesirable.

Gait

The gait of the Malamute is steady, balanced, and powerful. He is agile for his size and build. When viewed from the side, the hindquarters exhibit strong rear drive that is transmitted through a well-muscled loin to the forequarters. The forequarters receive the drive from the rear with a smooth reaching stride. When viewed from the front or from the rear, the legs move true in line, not too close or too wide. At a fast trot, the feet will converge toward the centreline of the body.

A stilted gait, or any gait that is not completely efficient and tireless, is to be penalized.

Temperament

The Alaskan Malamute is an affectionate, friendly dog, not a "one man" dog. He is a loyal, devoted companion, playful in invitation, but generally impressive by his dignity after maturity.

Summary

IMPORTANT: In judging Malamutes, their function as a sledge dog for heavy freighting in the Arctic must be given consideration above all else. The degree to which a dog is penalized should depend upon the extent to which the dog deviates from the description of the ideal Malamute, and the extent to which the particular fault would actually affect the working ability of the dog.

The legs of the Malamute must indicate unusual strength and tremendous propelling power. Any indication of unsoundness in legs and feet, front or rear, standing or moving, is to be considered a serious fault.

Faults under this provision would be splay-footedness, cow hocks, bad pasterns, straight shoulders, lack of angulations, stilted gait (or any gait that isn't balanced, strong and steady), ranginess, shallowness, ponderousness, lightness of bone, and poor overall proportion.

Disqualification's

Blue Eyes

with a name like Diesel, you just GOTTA get him! If he's anything like mine, the only time you know you have got him is when you have to step over him in the middle of the floor!!

Good luck with going to see him, take your camera, we'd love to see pics & let us know how you get on, x

Hi

Talon most of the time is actually easier to walk than shaer (on the lead) but if he starts pulling down hill you become a passenger, his weight and momentum make it hard to stop.

I always wanted a Mal but like huskies used to be very hard to find.

One of the things that has changed as standard of breed is the size of their ears. Malamutes used to be easly told apart because they used to have much smaller ears than huskies but now seem to have bigger ones than huskies.

meesh