Help! Im so upset

Chewbacca_&_me

Well since my last postings angel had developed a liquid/blood filled bubble on her right front leg. Took her to the vet 3 times now to have the

liquid taken out of the bubble but it just keeps filling up. Vet says theres nothing she can do besides getting the fluid out. Well...Im not so sure

now and Im really very mad and upset and scared as today I noticed she has now developed two more of these "bubbles" one on the inside of

each of her hind legs! They were not there yesterday, she has not been harmed or had any falls off of anything and this is really freaking me out!

Obviously, I will not be going back to the vet I usually see, and now i have to find a new one. I cant believe this is happening!!

I have never seen this sort of thing before, ever. I havent got a clue whats going on. Not good!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Erika, I'm no expert, but from what you describe, it sounds like a cyst. Sometimes they appear and are persistent, and then all of a sudden, they go away. But I'm with you, at least get another vet to take a look. Zoya sends Husky Hugs.

The vet has continued to insist that the first bubble was caused by some kind of fall or something compounded by possibly

a busted blood vessel. She claims that if she keeps drawing the fluid out it will go away...but it gets bigger and now that she

has two more bubbles...Im thinking its not likely just a stoma or whatever she called it.

Im worried about angel and at $50.00 bucks a visit to draw the fluid out its getting difficult to afford to keep getting the fluid out.

the bubbles are near joints in the legs and Im starting to think she may end up having joint/inflamatory problems.

I really hope im hysterical for no reason and that the bubbles start to go down on their own soon.

it kind of reminds me of a Hematoma, which has worse pain (when it first happens) then a fracture, then fluid develops and the pain goes away, my old horse i used to have got one after being kicked by a horse (up near his penis), Vet cut it and drained it and it took 2 months to heal.

well i'm not a vet, or an expert but here is some literature i found about bumps n such on dogs... hopefully something in here matches what you're sibe has going on and you can research it further... i hope this helps and if it doesn't i'm sorry... i wish i knew more for you... xxxx

Spotting a bump on your dog need not be a cause of panic. In most cases, bumps turn out to be harmless mass of fatty tissue. Such non-cancerous lumps like cysts, warts, infected hair follicles and blood-filled swellings can cause discomfort to the dog, but they are localized skin problems that have little impact on the overall health of the dog.

There are many reasons why these bumps appear on dog skin. Sebaceous cysts form due to plugged oil glands under the skin. Cysts that are a combination of dead cells, sweat or clear fluid often disappear on their own.

Warts are benign growths caused by a certain virus. These are usually seen in small dogs and normally appear on lips, tongue, eyelids and the inner lining of the mouth. Long lasting cysts that develop slowly and cause an adequate amount of irritation may need to be surgically removed.

Lipomas are fatty tissue tumors that are mostly benign and harmless. They can increase in size and cause discomfort to your pet, which is why they may also need to be surgically removed.

Other tumors that are normally benign include the following:

• Granulomas are composed of granulation tissue and appear as multiple nodules of varying size. These tumors generally appear as a reaction to injury, inflammation or infection and are the body’s natural reaction to foreign substances.
  • Fibromas are an uncommon benign tumor of a solitary polyp type nodule. They usually occur on legs, groin, or sides.
  • Follicular cysts are the most common of all the cysts. They usually develop on the head, neck and trunk. The characteristics are solitary, round, appear above or just beneath the skin, may have a bluish color, and are full of thick, yellowish gray fluid.
  • Epidermal inclusion cysts are also the body’s reaction to infection or allergy. These cysts are very small, up to 2 inch diameter nodules, and often contain unusual amount of thick, greasy fluid. Since many tumors are benign does not mean that a tumor can be neglected. There are types of cancerous tumors that pet owners should be aware of:
  • Squamous cell carcinomas are a common malignant tumor. They are mostly seen in dogs that are exposed to sun or have long lasting irritations in the skin. The bumps that this cancer causes take the shape of a cauliflower or crusted ulcers.
  • Basal cell tumors are most often benign but can be diagnosed as malignant. These are single nodules filled with fluid and can be seen in the head, neck and shoulders of adult dogs.
  • Fibrosarcomas are fast growing, invasive, and firm tumors, which can ulcerate. These tend to occur at vaccination or injection sites.
  • Epitheliotropic lymphomas are a rare carcinoma of T lymphocytes and are generally diagnosed in older dogs. They take varied shapes - itchy and scaly redness, ulcers with loss of pigment, single or multiple nodules or oral ulcers.
  • Hemangiosarcomas are malignant and invasive tumors that have reddish black nodules and normally appear on chest or abdomen of the dog.
  • Histiocytosis is a condition of cancerous tumors that can cause extensive hair loss. They have the capacity to affect the entire body system of the dog.

All bumps should be investigated as there is always a possibility that a harmless looking bump or eruption may be cancerous. Careful veterinarians aspirate the tumor fluid or remove a piece of tissue of any tumor they come across. A pathological examination eliminates any doubt whatsoever regarding malignancy.

Good information, Ashley - +1. Many of the growths dogs get, including lipomas (the fatty lumps, which are more likely to occur on the body than the legs) are more common in older dogs than in young ones, which Angel definitely is. I would suspect injury if it were just one leg, with three, I'd be more likely to think allergies of some sort. I would definitely look for a second opinion.

Nothing medical to add (although I will have a look for you) just a get well soon for Angel and hugs for you both, I know its easier said than done but try not to worry to much, if shes senses your stressed it could make her stressed and stress lowers the immune system! Hugs hon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S like Diz said, pictures would help. Im researching atm and have found a couple of possibles but without seeing the lumps its difficult to know!

med_gallery_210_177_166686.jpg Right hind leg lump

med_gallery_210_177_102341.jpg Left Hind leg lump

med_gallery_210_177_170380.jpg Right Front leg Lump

These bumps/lumps are softer and the one in front jiggles as she walks. The one in front gets bigger every time it gets aspirated. The other two (on the back legs)

just showed up yesterday and its really wierd/scary. She doesnt seem to be in pain but it looks aweful and im freaked out about it. Now she will not be doing dog shows

until after we move, if she heals properly and her skin is not stretched. The front lump has had fluid aspirated 3 times and continues to fill up and get bigger.

UPDATE

Last night we went back to the vet. The lump on the right front leg is def a hygroma, and will likely heal on its own.

The lumps on her back legs are def NOT hygromas, and so she had fluid drawn for those and sent in for testing. The

veterianarian (from the same office) that we usually see is not in, so we are seeing another vet from the same office.

He says that right now without test results, that the lumps on the back legs could either be from a parasite that comes

from ticks (Im really nuts about monthly treatments for fleas and ticks) but i suppose it is possible she could have had

ticks sometime before I got her. Unlikely, but who knows. The other thing is not only uncommon for her age but also

uncommon/not normal to huskies at all. He says it could be a degenerative bone /cartilage- deffect/disease. The tests

are out and im really hoping we wont need xrays and shots of steroids, so please everyone cross your fingers and toes

for us that its not degenerative bone deffects. Pretty please.

The good news is that she doesnt seem to be suffering with any chronic pain, so lets hope the lumps or problem dont

get worse (fingers and toes are crossed).

Thanks ladies. :)And Gentlemen. lol.

About Hygromas.

They are tears of the cartilage or tissues by joints such as the front elbows.

the hygroma fills with fluid to protect the joint.

Common home treatments include:

Using a pair of panty hose, cutting a leg off pantyhose, then cutting the toe section off

the pantyhose as well. Roll it into a donut, place it around the hygroma, and then secure

it with an ace bandage, this relieve pressure from the hygroma and the tear. Also try laying

out towels, blankets, pillows, dog beds etc so they have soft surfaces to lay on.

Hygromas are commonly caused by laying on hard surfaces.

The vet can help relieve pressure by drawing out fluid from the hygroma to relieve pressure.