Smokey Neutering...again

Smokey

So I've been meaning to get Smokey neutered for a while and had him setup for an appointment a few weeks ago but had to cancel it since he's been on antibiotics. But that time came around again this morning.

We found out that he has an undescended testicle which means they have to go into his tummy or do exploratory surgery to find it. The also said that it could be cancerous?!? :'o(

Of course I was opting to get his neutering done at a low cost place but because of the possible complications they didn't allow it. Regardless, he's in surgery now so keep us in your thoughts during this period. Pretty expensive BUT anything for now for him....

Loki had a monorchid surgery as well. It's not really that bad, it just takes a while longer to heal up. Loki ended up being allergic to the sealant they used on the surgery as well so it's taken him much longer to heal than usual.

The undescended teste is 10x more likely to become cancerous than a descended teste and normally throws hormone control out of whack. (Things like dominant behaviour and rapid/slowed growth.) So it is very important to have it removed if in fact your dog is Monorchid or Cryptorchid. If the teste doesn't drop by 6 months of age, it's a slim chance that it ever will.

I hope it all goes well hun!

My horse when he was a colt had a retained testy, he also had to have sugary (normally with horses they sedate them and you do it at your horse paddock) but he had to go to an Equine hospital to have the retained testy removed (it ended up being next to his abdomen), Took a few months to heal.

Cost us over $2,500 if i can remember correctly.

I hope it all goes well, keep us updated x

Hope that he's feeling better, now! I really doubt that it will take more than a day or two for him to recover - it's amazing how fast they do! Because they had to go into his abdomen to find the teste, it's more like doing a spay on a female, but I've usually had more trouble keeping them quiet long enough to ensure that the incision can heal, than I have with them not feeling well!

Loki cried a lot too afterward, just make sure to give him the pain meds. After the first two days, Loki figure out how to weasle out of the cone and was back to rhomping around, so it shouldn't take long for him to be back to normal. The surgery will look really bad for a while though, his second one was up by his kidneys.

This was what Loki's looked like two weeks after his surgery

neut003.jpg?t=1283280236

This was about a month or two afterward

tatblood004.jpg?t=1283280228

Again though, he was allergic to the sealant, so it irritated his skin a lot, so he licked it more. (Which is what the brown colouring is, he has a zinc deficiency I haven't addressed yet.)

Hope he recovers quickly.

Husky hugs from our lot. . . biggrin.gif

He'll soon be running beside you on the walkydog.laugh.gif

Chin uplaugh.gif