Puppy on the couch?

princessmom

Today Milla has jumped up on the loveseat twice after a human has vacated it. I chased her off the first time. The second time (several hours later) I sort of growled her name, made eye contact. She seemed to consider my implied command and then jumped down to lie on a couch cushion that was lying on the floor. Should I just ignore her and not worry about it or am I'm going down a path that leads to trouble later?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's up to you since we all have different house rules.

My partner and I have 2 couches (with two seats) and Zarly lays on his and Joey lays on mine LOL!, I allow it but i am always cleaning them from the furr  :lol:

My dogs are allowed to go anywhere anytime in the house, although when we eat they are to sit away and they do.. there is enough dog furr in the food.. don't need anymore if their close ;)

I personally believe that as long as the dog shows the signs of knowing its place in the pack then they are allowed up on the sofa, I like a cuddle! But if they ever start refusing to move they get pulled right off, my rescue boy has this, I say shift he doesnt so without a pause he gets uncerimoniously yanked off, he is slowly learning that I mean what I say and will make him do it if he doesnt.

My little girl though that iv had from a pup is very good you say shift and she shifts right away, this kind of dates to when she was realy little and I'd say shift and then just sit down wheather she'd moved or not, it only took once and she moved every time after once of being sat on! LOL

This doesnt work with the big lad as hes so big he just doesnt care if you sit on him so you have to move him without a beat!

i think i am the only person on here that doesnt allow this lmao....we dont allow shiloh up on sofa and never have done since we brought him home......my reasons for this are :-

1. seriously if we did he would take over the entire sofa!!!

2. i am a childminder so i just dont like the idea of other kids getting covered in dog hairs- especially as none of them have dogs themselves

3. he has his own space in his crate with a huge cushion so he doesnt need to come up on sofa

4. he still gets cuddles etc, he is that big now he can reach us no problem...he actually quite likes sitting on floor inbetween mine or ians legs

some people may think i am being mean but at the end of the day thats how i see things.....he isnt allowed upstairs either or in the kitchen...he knows where he can go and he quite good at keeping to those areas :)

We have one couch that Fox is allowed on...this is mostly because our toddler began destroying it long before Fox came along...it started out as a beautiful leather and tapestry chaise...now I'm debating whether or not I'm going to bust out he curvie needle (yeah don't know technical names there...) to repair one of the cushions. He's allowed on our bed at night when we go to sleep but since the incident with that 'other dog' (We have a large mirror on our dresser, and one morning Fox woke up at the bumb crack of there's light in the room. He caught movement. He hopped up and started investigating...he tried intimidating that strange dog...aka his reflection...and that bugger just intimidated him right back. He tried making the 'come play with me...my butt's in the air...can't you see...oh oh you're doing it too' thing...but got very annoyed that his possible friend wouldn't come over to play with him. Then he spent ten minutes trying to sneak up on himself in the mirror...man did that piss him off...he just couldn't get the upper hand, it was like...that other dog was reading his mind!!!) he'd prefer to sleep under our bed or in his crate.

Ice is fast asleep on ours now. We weren't going to let him on but the kids are always jumping all over it so its forever getting wiped down due to footprints, spilt drinks etc, the cats have put claw marks in it, whats a few paw prints here and there, he normally sits in one of the chairs that hardly ever gets used but when its quiet like now he gets laid out. He gets off when told to though. We could do with a new one but its pointless at the minute as it'll only get trashed.

gallery_1873_2_61495.jpg

Our dogs are part of the family so we don't have any proscriptive rules about where they are and aren't allowed to go. If, for some reason we don't want them on the sofa, we simply tell them to get off and they do. Years ago we kept ours as kennel dogs, but we felt we were missing so much in our interactions with them that we changed completely (some of them even sleep on the bed!). Wouldn't have it any other way!

IceUte1.jpg

MissyAnyaAlaska.jpg

LilyUtekiss1-1.jpg

Donuts.jpg

frontroom1.jpg

Mind you, some people think we treat our dogs too much like family:

Adam122-1.jpg

Mick biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Saaba and Raya had both been jumping on the chairs and bed (to lie down) when they wanted. I have put a stop to it. They can only come up when they are invited and are told 'off' once they get up without being asked. Its working so far !

i think i am the only person on here that doesnt allow this lmao....we dont allow shiloh up on sofa and never have done since we brought him home......my reasons for this are :-

1. seriously if we did he would take over the entire sofa!!!

2. i am a childminder so i just dont like the idea of other kids getting covered in dog hairs- especially as none of them have dogs themselves

3. he has his own space in his crate with a huge cushion so he doesnt need to come up on sofa

4. he still gets cuddles etc, he is that big now he can reach us no problem...he actually quite likes sitting on floor inbetween mine or ians legs

some people may think i am being mean but at the end of the day thats how i see things.....he isnt allowed upstairs either or in the kitchen...he knows where he can go and he quite good at keeping to those areas :)

Hi Tami! I agree with you 100% because I am doing the same with my husky! He is not allowed on the couch,in fact ,he never wanted to sit on the couch,since he was a puppy! He is 13 months now and he is big enough to take over my entire couch!If he would then I should sit on the floor or on his cushion! ha,ha! After all ,i am the boss not him! Right? He must know that from very young!

I would let Pongo up on the couch if he would behave! lol. Whenever I invite him up for cuddles he thinks it's play time and gets all excited. He walks all over you and paws at you so I just end up pushing him off and tell him "get off". I wouldn't mind him up there since we got leather now and he can't really hurt it, but he's just too wild laugh.gif.

We do not allow Denali up on the furniture. She has only one time jumped up on the couch. I think it caught her by surprise that she was up that high, and got down right away. If we are on the couch watching TV and she wants attention, she will come over and nudge us with her nose until we give her some attention. Occasionally she will put her front paws up on our lap as we are sitting there, but she so far has not made an effort to try to get the back paws up.

At first we were not going to let Lyra on our couches (we have two futons), but that was a losing battle. She'll come snuggle with us, and we make sure she gets off the furniture if we tell her to get down. She did completely destroy one of the wooden futon arms when she was about 10 weeks old, however. It looks like a beaver got to it. I couldn't really get upset, though, because Aaron turned his back on her and 2 minutes later we had a gnawed couch.