Things I'll need for new puppy.

Kaje

I want to be sure I will have everything I need for my new puppy when she comes home on the 12th. So far on my list I have all the obvious things.

Food

Leash/collar

Toys (suggestions)

and some sort of crate

I also plan on getting a doghouse set up for her once she gets a bit bigger so she can spend more time outside in her own little area. I've heard a lot of people say that if they are left off leash outside, huskies often run off and forget how to find there way back home. This has me pretty paranoid, but I HATE the idea of always having to tie her up, so I was also thinking of fencing in a big area where our pony used to graze. I'm not 100% sure about this idea though, what do you all think?

(the area in question is kind of back in the woods behind my house and I would not be leaving her there unsupervised)

I'll have to look into this Kong thing, I have read about them and know they are some sort of toy/puzzle that are good for entertaining huskies while giving them something to think about and figure out. Hopefully I can find one in a petstore somewhere. Since my puppy is almost on the other side of the province, I should be able to find one on my way up ^.^

oh my goodness, definatly an enclosed area. 6ft fencing (min) which is ideally dug into the ground (prevent him from digging underneath). Weld mesh style is recommended as sibes can chew their way out oftherwise (not all do though)

think about security when travelling - crate for the car etc

savings account for vets bills ;)

loads and loads of cuddles :)

Thanks for the links to the Kong toys =)

I know bones are going to be really important since these guys are so well known for tere relentless chewing, but wouldn't there be a danger of her swallowing the plastic? I have read that pressed rawhide bones are suppossed to be the best, but my mother's chihuahua got blocked up from eating them and the vet told us not to give them to her anymore ( they were those little rawhide sticks. Obviously theres a big difference between a chihuahua and a husky, but can that still happen to them?

You'll also want a few different brushes to get her used to grooming. We have a slicker brush, a round brush, and an undercoat rake. The undercoat rake is my favorite.

Let's see, what other random things have we gotten Lyra... :)

We have both a travel seat belt and a travel kennel. I'm not sure what type of vehicle you have, but Lyra isn't too good roaming free in the back seats.

We have a pair of doggy nail clippers, but now we exclusively get her nails trimmed at the vet - it's one of the most stressful experiences for us to try to trim them.

We also have about every type of collar/harness you can think of. We started walking her on a buckle collar, but she pulls so much that we switched to a harness for the safety of her neck. This works loads better for us. We also had a standard nylon leash, but she chewed through that really quickly. Now we have a thicker rope leash, and if she manages to chew through that, it's onto a chain leash.

We got her a dog bed, but she doesn't really use it.

She also goes through TONS of toys. I think her kong is the only one that has survived the whole time since we brought her home. She's a little stinker and has probably figured out once she destroys a toy she gets a new one. laugh.gif

My favorite type of leash is a 6' leather lead (preferably with a brass snap, which won't freeze as easily as chrome) - it's much easier on your hands than most other types, and if you can keep her from chewing it, it should last a very long time - I have a couple that are easily 15 years old. They're stretched out to closer to 8' by now, but they're still great! I usually put mink oil or another type of conditioner on them occasionally, which helps soften them initially, and helps keep the leather strong and water resistant, and I'm sure it adds to the life of the leather.

A cool toy my dogs enjoy - but not for a dog that likes to destroy toys:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ethical-Pet-Laser-Flashing-Ball-with-Sound-Dog-Toy/15008326

Good luck and have fun!

Dogs.com has a really cheap head collar. Fox is still growing so much, so he's not going to be able to use the ones from there for very long before he needs the next size up, despite what people on the site in the review section say, the sizes run large...when he's older we'll invest in a nice one...but for starting out...well it's not too bad.

http://www.dog.com/item/follow-me-head-collar/420457/

I just opened it up, and it looks like they've only got a size one...which we have for our puppy...it's $1.99 plus shipping.

Anywho, good job being prepared!

Kong makes squeaky tennis balls. Those are Milla's favorites. Her other hobbies are tearing the squeakers out of stuffed toys and stealing plastic drink bottles out of the recycling.

We've also been giving her rawhides because she needed something to chew on other than my arm! We give her the natural rawhide "bones" in puppy size. She chews the knots off the ends and then tosses the slimy knots around like toys. The good news is that she doesn't chew and swallow them like the smaller rawhide sticks. (She eats those like potato chips! The vet said no more than one/day.) She hasn't had any problems with blockage.