week long tempertantrum!

achmedsmom

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! Achmed has been throwing a tempertantrum since our meet with diesel!! anything and everything he can get into and destroy he has done it! while i was gone today he ate a loaf of bread, he has been eating and tearing up everything and i mean EVERYTHING!! i'm really worried about him some things he has been destroying he eats and then throws it up later on... this is not only horrible to clean up but is soooo bad for him!! I was babysitting yesterday and he knocked a can of baby formula out of the diaper bag and pawed it open and started licking it! I hate feeling mad at him but when he does these things I can't help but be a little upset!! he has never torn things apart this much, I could make a pretty long list of things he is tearing apart or eating and I dont know how to make him stop.... i can tell he is mad at me and it's making me sad.... :(

I don't know if dogs get mad at us and do things to spite us. I sort of doubt it. I think there's something going on, but I doubt he's mad at you. I sort of agree with Lynn. Maybe he's bored and needs some activity to tire him out a bit. But who knows.

Sorry, if I sound patronising, I don't mean to but, this is a dog, not a child, they don't have temper tantrums, and they don't do things to spite us. They live in the moment - can you imagine if they plotted like that:lol:

He sounds like a typical husky to me, but I'd agree with the others, possibly a bored one. Does he have anything that he's allowed to chew, any Kong toys, things like that? How old is he?

yea i agree with the rest, hes a dog and a husky at that .They destroy stuff big time, mine do it endlessly....one minute i think its stopped and next they are at something else!!...they need a lot of stimulation as they get bored very quickly....dont think there is a quick fix except more walks and some toys or bones to keep them occupied:P :P

How old is Achmed? Could it be that he has hit that husky milestone where they go from adorable little puppies that do no wrong to 'adolescence' age where they become complete tearaways, chewing everything in sight and seeming hyperactive all the time! I agree with everyone else the only way to get through this stage is lots of stimulation, exercise and patience+++++ ;) I don't think its got anything to do with meeting Diesel as ISDW said dogs live in the moment and he probably doesn't even remember Diesel. Also don't take his behaviour personally he isn't mad at you he is just displaying some usual husky behaviour.

well he is about to turn 2 on the 29th of this month, we have been extremely busy lately (september is a very busy month starting off) Usually when we walk him we are gone for over an hour and he is very tired when we come home but lately he doesn't seem to get enough being out and about for an hour, today we took him to my husband's work, ( he works at a high school) ... we closed the fence doors of the foot ball field and let him run...he ran for a good 2 hours and still had a lot of energy when we got home... right now he's passed out but i'm hoping it's just a growth spert or something that he just gets bursts of energy.... i know it seems silly to think he's mad at me but he has such a personality, he responds to a lot of what we say everyday, like he will "throw a fit" if he is ready for bed at night and we're still in the living room ... he runs back and forth between the bedroom and living room... he will go to the bedroom... bark... come to the living room and whine... and that goes on until we're ready for bed... then he's calm as can be.... he really is like one of my kids and i love him as such.... he also has some sence of time because everyday right around the time my husband comes home he sits by the door and stares at it until he gets here... i just worry because i cannot tell what he is thinking or feeling .... he doesnt act like he's hurt or anything... i dont know... i know it's silly but it threw me for a loop when he all the sudden started being a terror lol ... thank you all for the advice!!!

yep defo sounds a bit bored.

walking storm doesnt always satisfy him...he's tired but he's not mentally tired. try walking with other huskys for extra stimulation?? take him for a swim (excellent if its hot)? if its cool enough take him for a jog/run (12 degrees)

Get the paddling pool out and chop up some carrot - he will eat them quickly but its still an activity to get in and find them.

Sand pit - encourge digging in a specific place - hide toys/treats in it

perhaps do a bit of agility with him?

teach him new tricks? roll over etc

hide things in the garden to find??

do lots of commands on a regular basis - wait, leave, drop etc...all stimulating for him

enjoy and have fun

yep defo sounds a bit bored.

walking storm doesnt always satisfy him...he's tired but he's not mentally tired. try walking with other huskys for extra stimulation?? take him for a swim (excellent if its hot)? if its cool enough take him for a jog/run (12 degrees)

Get the paddling pool out and chop up some carrot - he will eat them quickly but its still an activity to get in and find them.

Sand pit - encourge digging in a specific place - hide toys/treats in it

perhaps do a bit of agility with him?

teach him new tricks? roll over etc

hide things in the garden to find??

do lots of commands on a regular basis - wait, leave, drop etc...all stimulating for him

enjoy and have fun

some of those are ideas i have never heard of thank you!

Often changes in husky behaviour are mirror images of changes in our behaviour, they may be sooo subtle that you may have not even noticed you've changed something but he will! As you say September is a busy month that could just be it, hes noticed your busier and have less time for him so hes "amusing himself" in ways that you dont approve of but that amuse him for a while! Husky princess has some great ideas there so I'd try some of those and if your still worried maybe have your vet check him over as sometimes drastic changes in behaviour can be medical. :)

Good luck, keep us informed anyway! xxx

i can tell now that sometimes if i just take him for a walk it just wont work - the first 5 mins he's full on ...i'm enjoying this...and then...he pisses about jumping up and making me look like an owner who hasnt done any training!! i know he's bored.

But if i take some treats and on the way get him to do lots - sit, wait, down, back etc or if my other half comes...we can do a bit of hide and seek (still on a long lead) anything to vary it.

perhaps get him a new toy, that adds interest

a bone to chew on - ones purchased from a pet shop though. that will occupy him for ages (have a big bowl of water handy cos it makes them thirsty)

use a kong - fill with a meat stock and freeze (make your own by boiling up some bones for 20/30mins or so, a stock cube contains too much salt)

tonight storm did our head in...i knew it was pointless just taking him out for a walk...he was in a mischievious mood. so we had to get him running around. we are lucky cos he retrieves a toy perfectly so a bit of this with some commands - wait, drop, leave etc and reward...he's now a happy content boy cuddles up on the sofa with me :)

I agree with the rest. After I have walked my girls they have their pyramid( not everyday) which has there kibble in for breakfast. They have to work for it by rolling it around for the kibble to fall out takes them about half hour give or take. When they have got it all they will lay down for agies around 3pm they get restless but this is because they both know its time to collect kids from school both 2yrs old and i walk them for about 1-2 hours in the mornings and about half hour in the afternoon sometimes an hour.Depending what time I have. Just got to find new ways to distract him and change toys around I never have all toys about I swop and change them so they dont get bored with the same toys. Also makes them last longer........lol Good luck hope he settles back to normal soon.