Canadian Husky

maggie84

Hi everyone, well it was a beautiful day this sunday so we took Dakota down to our local dog beach, where she got to show all her smaller canine friends who's boss. Anyway we seen another husky in the distance and when he spotted Dakota he came running over, I sure huskies know when they've met their same breed.

Anyway this husky was massive!!! I asked his owner if was a malamute but she said he was a Canadian Husky. I've never heard of them before, he was 2-3 times bigger than Dakota, although she is only 20kgs. He had the face of a husky on the body of a malamute. I was just wondering if you guys know of this breed and if they're much different to sibs? He was beautiful and Dakota didn't say boo to him, she knows her place when it comes to bigger dogs.

erm....pics?????? biggrin.gif

Found this:

Canadian Eskimo Dog

intropg.gif

Manning.jpgThis site is designed to inform and educate those interested in the Canadian Eskimo Dog. The Canadian Eskimo Dog is one of the five indigenous dogs that Canada is proud to call their own.

The Arctic regions of Canada approximately 2000 years ago became home to the Thule culture of Inuit people. The land was cohabited by the Inuit and their dogs. The dogs were an adherent, important and vital part assisting in everyday survival of the Inuit and their families. The dogs provided the means of travel by sled, assisted in hunting and served as protectors. Their estimated time of arrival is approximately 1100 – 1200 AD.

These dutiful dogs have stood at both poles, north and south, serving nearly all the famous names in Arctic and Antarctic exploration. With such a rich and proud history, they have been commemorated and adorned over the years with a stamp (1988) and a fifty-cent piece (1997). There is now only 279 registered Canadian Eskimo Dogs in existence, this number has been verified and confirmed by the Canadian Kennel Club.

The Canadian Eskimo Dog Club, and its members are dedicated to the preservation and future survival of the Canadian Eskimo Dog, promising it a place in our future history and tradition. Through promotion and participation we hope that more parties will be willing to undertake the responsibility and dedication of this indigenous canine and work with the existing breeders to increase the genetic pool of registered stock. Those already involved are working diligently to increase numbers, ensure genetic diversity, and maintain the working integrity of the Canadian Eskimo Dog.

The Canadian Eskimo Dog is one of 4 Kennel Club recognised sled dog breeds here in the UK. The others are the Alaskan Malamute (the biggest), the Siberian Husky (the smallest) and the Greenland Dog.

Until relatively recently, in the UK, the Greenland Dog and the Canadian Eskimo Dog were regarded as one breed - The Eskimo Dog. Then they were separated and recognised as separate breeds. They are both pretty rare compared with Sibes and Mals, and you are most likely to see them at working rallies and Championship Dog Shows.

http://www.eskimodog.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.greenlanddogclub.co.uk/The-Greenland-Dog.php

Mick

You might recognize them from the husky/polar bear videos taken around the Hudson's Bay area in Canada.

Another link

Thanks for the links, I loved the first video of them playing together. I wish I had taken a photo of them on sunday, it was a beatiful husky, kinda want one now, but going by what the other posts say, they must be pretty rare and especially in australia.

• 3 weeks later...