Has any one on here!!!!!!!

Ron Tao&Sky

I have just been diagnosed as having type two Diabetes. As any one else got it? If so could you help me out about what I can eat and what I can't eat. I have been drinking about 3 bottles of Lucozade and eating three bananas a day, when I have been out Metal Detecting. No wonder I have been feeling ill :g_shocked: I asked at the Doctors for a diet sheet and was told by the Nurse that they did not have any and to use my common sense and to eat plenty of Pulses and not to eat Strawberries and Grapes :rolleyes: So if any one can help it will be much appreciated. :thumbs_up: ......Ron

My Step Dad has Diabetes but not sure which type.

Basically food wise he has to eat lots of little meals n snacks during the day instead of holding out all day for one BIG meal in the evening.

He has to inject insulin twice per day.

Make sure you avoid ALL sweet stuff. Stay as low fat as you can.

Hi,

I dont have diabetes, but I do some volunteerng for Diabetes UK and have lots of leaflets. I could send some to you?

Diabetes UK website is really helpful http://www.diabetes.org.uk/ , they update on twitter and they have a careline:

Call: 0845 120 2960*, Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm and/or an email address: careline@diabetes.org.uk

They also have a diabetes forum so you can talk to other peopl who have a similar diagnosis. I work at a university that has a Diabetes Research Centre - I would be happy to ask them for some information if it's useful?

Kerry :D

Also it is important to make sure your blood sugar doesnt get too high (hyper-glycaemia) or too low (hypo-glycaemia). Either can produce light headedness, the 'shakes' and other symptoms. I am by no means an expert and do not wish to scare you. (I wrote some essays and reports for this for my degree in Health Studies. There is actually a degree in Diabetes and Diabetes care at the uni I work at- Im sure there will be some helpful people teaching it. (One I know is a reputable Professor of his field)

I'll see what I can do!

Kerry

my son has type 1 diabetes .. insulin dependant ........... stay off the lucozade ...... it gives you a huge suger rush .......use it only if ur out n feelin low .....ie ... a bit woosy ....light headed . do u have a blood monitoring machine ?????????? adult blood should read between 4 n 7 idealy....ask your gp if u dont have one as you may get one free .

I have been a Type 2 diabetic for about 8 years now. I know exactly how you are feeling right now. You're thinking that you'll never be able to eat anything you want ever again! Not true. I control mine with diet and by taking Metformin tablets twice a day. It's also a matter of re-educating yourself on proper balanced nutrition and portion size. There is loads of good information out there on the web if you search for it. My first advice would be to start slowly changing your diet over to lean meats. Lots of chicken and fish. Grilled, baked, or broiled. Limit your red meats to once or twice a week. Add lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I snack on fruits all day long. Even canned fruits that are sugar free are good. Try to use low fat or light whenever possible. Stay away from anything deep fried! For now, stay away from anything with a lot of sugar in it. Eating smaller portions along with several snacks a day is what ultimately keeps your glucose level even. Once you have your glucose levels under control, you can then think about treating yourself once in a while. I'm not a doctor, but this is what has worked well for me. There are also a lot of good recipe websites out there. Just google "diabetic recipes" and you'll find hundreds of them. Anything from main dish to dessert. It's a lot of trial and error. What works for one person, may not work for another. I know it seems daunting right now, but believe me, it does become easier over time. You'll always have to be aware of what you are eating from now on, but you'll definitely be healthier and feel better too! Exercise is also very important. Doesn't have to be a lot. My doctor recommends just 15-30 minutes a day of walking for me. Don't become discouraged, it's not the end of the world. Six months from now, you'll wonder why you ever panicked.