Which dog is easier, Husky or GSD?

huskylvr92

I agree with whats been said so far any breed big or small needs training end of. I have had Akia for 6mths now and found myself very overwelmed hence found this site. I nearly gave her up after 2mths thought I was letting her down but with the help of everyone on here I so would not part with her she is loyal, loving and has learnt alot in the time we have had her I can let her of leash and have recall 95% of the time but I do have my areas to do this that are safe. Willow is husky x Collie yes very easy to train conpared to Akia but I had her from a pup. Akia is two had 3 homes already acording to her records. Both my girls will protect me and my children I know this from first hand due to a drunk man aprouching us whilst we where out for a walk I got very nervous and so did my 16 yr old daughter my girls lunged forward and barked and growled on which the man moved away. I relaxed they then went back to heal.

Perhaps you are feeling like I did but put the work in ask for help and you will love your Husky no matter what. Good luck so hope it works out for you.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you don't take what we said personally, it's just our opinion and what we see not just as husky owners, but as dog owners as well. Where do you live from? if you want, you can rehome your husky to one of the members here who are near you. at least you know you have a trusted home.

As i researched over the internet, I'm thinking the best dog for you is a Shi Tzu, a French Bulldog, Chihuahua and a Boston Terrier. I'm not in anyway offending you my friend. But the thing is, you are choosing between two dogs that can have dominance issues (GSD and Husky).

If you can't handle a husky, i don't see a difference with a GSD.

Both breeds need constant training.

Whatever your decision is, we're all right behind you.

Again, don't take our posts as insults.

I've been learning from these guys as a husky owner. Sadly I lost mine due to Canine Distemper and made some wrong moves a long the way like even giving a coat trim Diz and Sparks know how wrong it was.

Anyway, What I'm telling is, please do tell us what your decision is.

And try considering all of our opinion.

Have a nice day :)

can i just quickly LOL at claire there :P

if you dont want a small dog , but you want 1 that you wont be afraid of i agree with whoever posted about getting a lab, or maybe even a golden

staffies are great too, smaller but have big personalites :) if i had to have any other breed apart from huskies i would get a staffy or a another staffy x :) they are soooooo loyal they want to please, easily trainable, can be great offlead - i can call bings of squirrels n rabbits but not cats - but then agen - its how you train your dog really :)

hope youve found all our replies helpful :)

ETA: and bingo was a rescue dog who was being trained as a 'fighting' dog before he got dumped - when we got him my one of my lil bros was 3 the other was 6 and he is great around them too - staffies arent called 'the nanny dog' for nothing :)

I guess it just comes down to what dog will better suit your family. The reason we got a husky is because I didn't want my dog going bonkers and biting my children if I ever do decide to have any. I would feel safe knowing my dog LOVES kids even though we don't have any and he's the star of the neighborhood. I'm not saying that all GSDs are like this, but I have seen many VERY seemingly aggressive behaviors from some in our neighborhood: such as lunging and trying to attack my harmless husky blink.gif I'm sure they're just being protective, but for me that's TOO protective. I'm not sure I could even control a dog that shows behavior like that. With getting a GSD there are some risks involved such as your dog accidentally biting a friend that came over to visit because he saw them as a threat as they were rough-housing with the children. I think you should research some other breeds and make sure this is the dog you really want. I know most families get along with a lab as they are very eager to please and great with kids and they don't need as much exercise as some other breeds; with lots of children in the house already time may be a factor with care for a dog. Also another VERY intelligent and eager to please dog is actually the poodle. My mom just recently got a toy poodle (you could always get a larger miniature or full poodle) and at 3 months of age that dog was potty trained after 4 days! It took me months and months to completely trust my dog. The poodle just loves their family and is also a higher energy dog as even my mom's toy will keep going and going lol. She also learned sit after 2 times of doing it almost as if she learned instantly, it was crazy!

All in all huskies are a much different breed that many do not understand fully. Although my husky drives me NUTS some days laugh.gif I still love him more and more each day as he has such a wonderful and intelligent personality. I also understand that a tired husky is a happy husky and I play with him constantly and give tons of hugs. This is a dog that craves attention more than a 2 year old child doestongue.gif But I love when he wants to cuddle in my lab even though he's 60lbs of dog haha.

I just hope you guys find the dog that is right for your family and make sure that this is the dog to stay. I hope your husky finds a nice homesmile.gif

you know...if you are looking for a protection dog, i've heard that huskies can be trained to bark when someone walks onto your property etc. basically you reward them when they bark if someone you don't know comes inside or near the house and repeat till the husky gets the idea (just like with any command). i've taught smokey the speak command so i'm sure with a little more effort he can learn to bark when someone comes around the house.

my GSD is a barker for sure and it's a bit annoying. i'm working on the "hush" command but boy is she a brat about it....another bad thing about GSDs that I don't think anyone has mentioned is they have health issues which require attention and high maintenance. i'm not sure i can attest to that yet but if you do a little more research on it you'll find that huskies are a lot more low maintenance in that respect.

<3