Mickey slipped his lead this morning

vinny1275

Grrrr.....

Out for our run this morning, Mickey decided he didn't want to let me get to the poop bin, he wanted to go the other way to something more interesting, managed to wriggle out of his harness, and legged it! He played the back and forth "ha ha you can't catch me" game for a while, then bolted down a grass path and into a little wooded bit - had a torch with me but couldn't see him anywhere - called to him, but nothing.... didn't have my phone or anything either...

He'd been heading roughly back towards home, so I just decided to run back - don't think I've ever run a faster 1/2 mile! ran into the house, woke Claire up, she went out in the car, while I ran back the way I'd come, with a tin of spam and a squeaky toy, in case he was heading back for home - I got to the bottom of our cul-de-sac and to the road, and who's the other side, heading towards me? Yup, there he was, tongue hanging out, looking very pleased with himself - I checked there were no cars and called him across to me, he played the catch-me-if-you-can game again, then realised I had spam, came over and sat in front of me! I did make sure I fussed him and told him he was a good boy when he came back...

The only problem then was that I had my phone, but Claire had the house keys (and no phone) - luckily she saw someone in the bus stop next to where Mickey came across the road, and she asked her if she'd seen a dog - she'd seen me calling him across the road with the squeaker...

I think he went for a bit of a play, then realised I wasn't about any more, so came trotting back towards home to find me...

Phew!

Oh, Mickey. . . lol biggrin.gif

Darwin has slipped his collar a couple of times and yeah, done the chase me routine.cool.gif

As long as his prey drive hasn't kicked in. . .DON'T chase him / DON'T shout at him.

This will simply reinforce the game and get him more excited and more likely to run.

Stand still and talk calmly to him,

he'll still be doing the leaping around and hunkering down on his front paws wiggling his bum at you biggrin.gif

if moves just walk slowly, talking calmly to him.

in a few minutes he'll calm down and go and sniff a tree or something.

Walk slowly talking calmly, he may do a couple more little chase me routines, but soon you should be able to

clip him back on.smile.gif

Of course if his prey drive kicks in and he's chasing something small and furry. . . . you just follow as best as you can. ohmy.gif

Andy - I did that - he just got it into his head that he was going to do a houdini act and off he went! I know you're not supposed to act angry with them, otherwise they don't want to come back to you - definitely time for an escape-proof harness!

Thanks for the replies all, thankfully we didn't really have too much time to worry too much - he came back pretty quick.... Will have to remember to put the alert number into my phone, just in case! :)

Andy - I did that - he just got it into his head that he was going to do a houdini act and off he went! I know you're not supposed to act angry with them, otherwise they don't want to come back to you - definitely time for an escape-proof harness!

Thanks for the replies all, thankfully we didn't really have too much time to worry too much - he came back pretty quick.... Will have to remember to put the alert number into my phone, just in case! :)

LOL. . . and don't forget ALWAYS carry an emergency can of spam and a packet of Custard creams with you. biggrin.gif

Phew. Good thing you were able to get him back without anyone getting hurt.

I can recall two times I have had to chase after a runaway dog before and if it wasn't for a big family BBQ a few houses down the road and a small yappy dog behind a glass door, I might never have caught them.

Phew so glad you got him back safely :D

when kaya makes a bolt for it through the front door i just run back in the house making the loudest craziest sounds and wave my hands around like someone possessed (god only knows what the neighbours think! :rolleyes: ) but thank fully it has worked everytime she just bolts after me to see what is so exciting LOL!! x