Why my pet is good for me

Sarah

I've been reading around about how having a pet can change your life.....getting Kimba certainly changed mine!

Since taking on board my two dogs, I have exercised every day come rain or shine and enjoy coming home knowing I am going to be greeted by two loving faces.

Don't you find that they lift up your spirits when you're feeling down? They know when you want a cuddle and when you want to play, not always - granted, they do get it wrong but that makes me love them even more!

When I lost my grandad in August last year, I feel into a deep depression, having Kimba round me helped to lift my spirits and he was there for me, we went on long walks together and I talked to him about how i felt, cried in the middle of the field, and he still trotted along with me tail wagging head held high, as if to say, I know mum, but look, i'm here for you and i love you.

I suffer quite a bit from stress and at the moment, have been suffering with it quite badly, but as soon as I get on my coat and my walking boots, step out of the door with him, my head is held high and I feel great! I only wish I could take them out more often than I already do!

I only wish that I lived in the country so that I could walk for miles and miles instead of having to walk through streets to get to the field only to listen to the dull noise of cars driving past, then my life would be complete.

I get such a joy out of being with my dogs, no day is ever the same, no walk is ever the same, they have unconditional love and always have a wag of their tale ready and waiting for you.

Well, this is my soft side coming out today isn't it!!!

Anyway, I started this thread to show why my pets are good for me - so why are yours good for you?

Sarah, I totally know what you mean about being stressed and how nice a walk with the doggies is when you are really feeling it :)

My dogs are good for me because they always bring a distraction from anything else going on in my life, I can spend five minutes with them (be it training, walking, having cuddles etc) and forget all my worries. Being involved with dogs is my biggest passion and it is my hobby too. I have met so many wonderful people being in the dog world that I would never have met otherwise, and I have my dogs to thank for it :)

They are good for me because I honestly believe owning them makes me a better person.

aaaawwwww, great thread!!!!

Well I don't really want to go into my life story as that is just depressing!!!! To put it to basics:

1) Lost an older brother to a car accidednt and saw him die when I was a youngster and couldn't go to the funeral!

2) Mum and Dad separated just after my bothers funeral

3) Dad moved out and I hardly saw him (every other weekend, which for a daddy's girl aint enough)

4) Mum got with Keith (Step dad) who used to be fine at first then when they got married I was basically a slave and punch bag to him!

5) Kept being picked on at primary and secondary school and didn't have many friends

6) Used to self harm (Need I say why?)

7) Went to college and started smoking and drinking!

8) Never finished the last 2 year course I did there

9) My ex boy/f was a complete psycho, nearly slit my throat, went to prison and committed suicide (Selfish ****)

10) Lead a generally f**ked up life

Me now:

1) Easily paranoid

2) Easily stressed

3) Tired about 99% of the time

4) Easily Scared/spooked

5) Easily take offence

6) Easily become aggressive

7) Get wiered thoughts and sometimes hallucinations

8) Hear voices

9) Can be completely random

10) Can act a little like a 5yr old sometimes (When 100% sober too)

Besides all of that I have grown up with all kinds of different dog breeds and other animals. When I was living with my mum and step dad we had a little Jack Russell cross called Rusty who I looked after the majority of the time and I was going to take him to Dorset with me to live with me and Jamie but where they were, dogs wasn't allowed so Rusty had to stay behind :( I went about 2 years with no dog to come home to and it was torture!!!!!!!!!!!!! After a while we moved to where we are now and at first the landlady said no dogs so we left it at that at the time and as time went on life was getting much harder to cope with without a dog so we asked her again and we planned that if she said no we would look at somewhere that would allow us to keep a dog but she actually said yes providing any damage caused by the dog or any complaints, etc we would be held liable (which we knew she would say anyway and were prepared for that). We were expecting her to put the rent up but she didnt, which was nice of her as most people around here will put the rent up silly money if you keep pet/s.

So me and Jamie went on Holiday last January for two weeks and were constantly thinking about what breed we should get. As I had previously kept a rottie which didn't get to live long :( I wanted another rottie, Jamie wanted a Collie. We made a list of what we were both looking for in a dog, I cant remember what was on there but we still couldn't decide. When we got back of holiday (all nice and tanned and shattered!) we went online to look at some breeds and we spotted a picture of a pretty Husky / Malamute mix then it hit, Husky!!!! So everything else planned out, researched the breed, found the breeder, picked the puppy, paid the deposit and along came Gizmo!

I will never forget how I felt when I first held him in my arms, my whole spirits were lifted straight away and I just knew he was the one! My life has changed so much and all 3 of my boys have taught me so much too. I would give my life for my boys and love them dearly, yes I will admit I still have bad days but it's never their fault and they are always there to prop me back up :)

So much for not explaining my life story!