Travelling in the car - Law and advice

combats2001

So I’m making sure I have everything I need for October camping and I’m planning to have Suki's crate folded up so I’ve got extra room but I’ve just though, what do I do with Suki if she is not in her cage?

I don't think it’s safe to give her the run of the car as much as she would love me to but I was wondering is there any actual law regarding dogs travelling in cars and is it ok for me to attach her lead to one of the seat belts or an anchor point in the boot?

First . . . What vehicle do you drive ???

Second. . . most pet stores sell a short lead attachment that goes though a seatbelt.

Third if you have enough space in the boot, then yes, but get a

proper FIXED divider so she can't jump over into the car.

(assuming your boot isn't full up with tents n all your other camping gear.. . . lol) biggrin.gif

Good question, no idea what the law says, but I have seen some sort of car safety harness that attaches to safety belt.

But personally I find I can only drive with him in his crate in the boot of my jeep.

I think that the dog in the back seat for instance even if harnessed could be a distraction to look around check on him whatever...better to be safe.

This is from DirectGov so this is what the LAW is. . . .

When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

from this page

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069853

Hi there,

If your dog isn't secured in your car and you have an accident, then you can be held liable even if its not your fault. Then if im right your insurance wouldn't pay out etc.

Not to mention the force of the impact if the dog went through the front windscreen.

As already mentioned you can use a harness or a seat belt clip (please attach to a harness not the collar), or get a divider for the boot.

Sarah x

It also depends on the dog.

Saffi hated the seatbelt harness I had for her and it did nothing to restrain her.

I had a crate in my old car but I broke it... oops!! and it wouldnt have fit in my new car anyway (even though this car is bigger than the last! )

Now I have a car guard and Saffi gets squished into my little boot... it looks like she doesnt fit in there but she is fine safe and out of the way :-)