Our autumn sledding

ikilumi

Wow they look fantastic.

How do you keep them running ?

I have a walkydog for my bike, and although Darwin takes off like a rocket

he slows down to a trot after about a mile ??

Wow they look fantastic.

How do you keep them running ?

I have a walkydog for my bike, and although Darwin takes off like a rocket

he slows down to a trot after about a mile ??

That´s just normal for siberian husky. They don't run fast all the time, they gather energy by moving slower time to time, then they start fast run again. Otherwise they burn out themself right away.

And other thing is your huskys basic condition. The golden middle course is that `not too much too early`. When you're strarting to train your dog, you must start slow, better is that you drive shorter round than you drive too much in first time (I mean if you're just starting training your dog).

I start always the season in shorter rounds, about 3km. Then I just start to gain distance little more each time. Now I'm driving about 5km with my huskies. Still time to time I drive shorter rounds, just keeping chances in our trainings. ;)

Sorry, I don't know all the right terms, so I have to use other words to cover that. :/ And my grammar is not so great :D Hope you can find the idea what I ment.

Great vids :D interesting to see

When you only have one dog (like your swing dog in the second video) how do you know which side to put them on?

I usually put them on the right side, because we drive right side on the road. But if there is only one dog on wheels/swing, then they can switch sides by themself, so if they want to run left side, then they run, it's their choise. :)

I usuallychange the place of my dog to right side, if it has moved to left side, if we drive our normal training road.

Great video! I'm eager to get all the dogs home again so I can train more! I've had Ronan out on the scooter a couple times and ran him on a friend's team last week but now we just got a warm spell so things are on hold again until the temp drops.

Andy, its all about conditioning and how you train your dog. If you want him to run you need to condition him to do just that. Even though he has the endurance to last the distance you are taking him doesn't mean he is conditioned to do it at a full out run.

In the fall we start the dogs at very short distances. We only run what we know they will do at a full gallop and we end it while they are still wanting to keep going at a run. Slowly we increase the distance but at this point their running endurance has built up so they will keep running further and further until we are doing the full 6 miles at a gallop (although I will allow a couple short trotting spells, like 100ft or so). Last winter by the end of December my team was able to keep a full run for almost 9 miles but then we got ice storms and tons of rain which halted training. All our hard work went out the window and by the time races came around a few weeks later my dogs had lost most of what we worked so hard to achieve. Ah well c'est la vie.

Huskies naturally do want to run and travel quickly but doing the conditioning above will just encourage them to push themselves harder and enable them to do so.

• 2 weeks later...