Kaisers first puppy class

Sarah

Just back from Kaiser's first puppy class and have learnt a lot about my pup tonight.

He's shy, timid and doesn't like other dogs barking>>>not a good start. However, apart from this he actually didn't do too bad. He picked up things quickly and was totally obsessed with the food he knew i had in my pocket lol

There was a GORGEOUS Malamute there he was 3 times the size of Kimba and only a few weeks older than him lol - have given his owners a card for the site so hope they'll join us :)

Slightly embarrassed though as halfway through, I noticed that Kaiser needed to go to the toilet so I started to walk him away from the group only to find a trail of 2's following me.....oops!!!:o

Other than that a pretty good night :)

awww...Eika doesn't really like other dogs barking, she would always look a bit frightened when mike's parents dogs barked last night. We're taking her to puppy parties/classes starting next week at the vets...should be interesting! They're free so if we think we need more at least we know then!

Shame about the number 2's lol!! I'm sure he'll get better as the weeks go on!

Best of luck Sarah! Sounds good so far,

How old do they have to be to start classes?

What do they charge nowadays, thinks its 50 for 6 lessons in Leicester, does that sound about right?

I've paid 30 for 6 x 1 hour classes.

They have to have had their vaccines but other than that the younger you take them the better. Both my two had learnt the basics by about 10 weeks old, they absorb things like a sponge lol

Well done Sarah and Kaiser :D

Sounds like he did really well. A lot of youngsters can become totally overwhelmed by the social pressure involved in attending a training class resulting in displaced naughty behaviour. In other words - stress. Consistent repetition of a plesant experience soon has the wee ones eager to join in and settle down, which I'm sure Kaiser will delight in doing :D

Looking forward to hearing about his progress.

Take good care.

Seoniad :D

Is his name and you omitted to say he was a bloody monkey the whole time! First time he's tasted beef heart and I think he's become instantly addicted!

Ahhhh WELCOME!!!

Yes, they do like the Beef heart don't they!!! i will have to get some for next week lol

He was a lovely monkey though! so full of beans!!!!!

Well done Sarah and Kaiser!

Bandit isn't a fan of other dogs barking either espcially if it echos, it does tend to startle him. Sounds like he is picking things up well apart from not to poop in the classroom, rofl, bless him. Gizmo pooped once in the vet surgery :o very embarrising especially as he was nearly a year old!

Getting a fright when other dogs bark is pretty normal :)

Just make sure you don't pander to him and pay him lots of attention or you might inadvertently reward his timidness. We walk by a fence barking Dobermann almost every day on walks, this dog is not a friendly barker but means business. Daisy would get a bit spooked (which is a big deal for her as she is a very confident dog) so I would say in a happy normal voice 'come on Daisy, let's go!' and carried on like normal. Once she was more comfortable with walking by, I would tell her to heel and get her looking at me as we walked by and would give her a treat if and only if she was complying with my command and ignoring the other dog. Now it works really well as I use the other dog as a distraction to do some training and she's not bothered by him anymore :)

The only other thing I will add is that some pups get a bit anxious at puppy school if there is a lot of free play, they can feel quite over whelmed and this can make a timid dog worse (especially if there are over confident or bossy dogs in the class). The best thing is to let them gradually get used to each dog instead of bombarding them (I'm sure your puppy school doesn't do this Sarah, but a few do, so I thought I'd mention it). Think of your pup as seeing other dogs as a negative or low value, and work with him so that he will get comfortable with other dogs and start to see them as a positive value instead :)