Poll on kc reg - non kc reg health

Timbaboy

Hi all ! After all the recent debates on here surrounding health of Non kc registered dogs I thought it would be interesting to see some figures or info on everyones dogs and any health issues they have experienced? I look forward to seeing the results.

Sooo I'll start of with my info

Two kc reg sibes One with poor health one fine!

Two Non-reg sibes both fine no medical issues

One non KC registerd sibe (was supposed to be but I've never seen anything to prove it)

The medical problems that arn't related to anything else -

Issues with skin and ears - constant dermititus and ear infections.

Allergies

IBS

Nurological problems but they cant be proven or not proven to be a birth defect or result of being hit on the head.

ETA its possible it is a birth defect as his sister supposadly had fits but again that cant be proven either way

Two sibes neither KC

Nukka: Mum was KC but Dad wasnt no health testing done and I didnt know any better at the time so bought her anyway. No health problems as yet (knock on wood!!!)

Shadow: Rescue so no idea of his parental history but I suspect he may have Mally in him. No health probs other than one undesended testy before we got him. :D

Kira - non KC reg as far as we know, unknown parentage, no health or behavioural problems whatsoever

Grey - non KC reg but have both his parents pedigree, some good names in there, some not so good. Skin problems (think its a diet allergy - 80% sure atm, we will know within a week or 2) and seperation anxiety.

Hi there,

I am now humbled to the fact the KC registry doesnt always mean great health.

Chewy of course is a huskamute so...no KC papers, but very healthy, and well mannered.

Angel is now dual KC registered, but has developed joint issues that the vets cant seem to

diagnose...most likely because she is so young. She is very beautiful, and well mannered,

but healthwise I am worried that she may have serious joint problems as she gets older.

I do believe that KC papers usually means the pup has a highly significant chance of A+ health,

but there is always a possibility that a pup can develop health problems because they could

inherit recessive genetic defects....eventhough the rest of the litter/and the parents don't.

I am sadly facing the reality that there is no guarantee.

I am in no way unhappy that angel is with us though, we would miss being sung to in the mornings lol :)

Registered AKC- no health problems, but she's only 7 months

I think the vast majority of huskies registered or not are going to be healthy. They are just a hardy breed.

My problem isn't necessarily if they have papers or not, but if the breeder is responsible and ethical. There are sooooooo many backyard breeders who many people may think are just fine, but really they are just causing pet overpopulation and filling up the shelters (cause most will not take the dog back after it's been purchased). I just think a responsible breeder will have papers (except maybe some that just breed to race I guess).

over here, the better breeders often work their dogs in harness, as well as show them, and in the UK, to be able to work them competitively it is so much easier to have registered sibes, if they're not registers you have to go through getting them looked over and told they are a real sibe. I would have been well pissed if they had turned round to me and said, no, thats not a real husky :angry: lol

dunno how it is in the us, i know in the big races (iditarod etc) there are lots of alakans and x's, so obviously they wouldnt be registered, but they are still bred very carefully :)

Registered AKC- no health problems, but she's only 7 months

I think the vast majority of huskies registered or not are going to be healthy. They are just a hardy breed.

My problem isn't necessarily if they have papers or not, but if the breeder is responsible and ethical. There are sooooooo many backyard breeders who many people may think are just fine, but really they are just causing pet overpopulation and filling up the shelters (cause most will not take the dog back after it's been purchased). I just think a responsible breeder will have papers (except maybe some that just breed to race I guess).

Exactly right.

The two issues of KC registration and health are really separate issues. The importance of KC registration is that we are able to keep a clear record of bloodlines within the breed so that if we are thinking of breeding A to B, we are able to research those lines and ensure that there are no incompatibilities (either of health and/or conformation) liable to affect the progeny adversely. Siberian Husky health is largely down to ensuring that breeders continue to test their breeding dogs for congenital problems so that they are not bred back into the new generation.

You can, of course, get appalling puppy farmers who KC register their dogs, but in the main, the ethical breeders who carry out all the necessary health checks do register their pups. In 20 years, I've never come across a UK Siberian Husky breeder of unregistered pups who does the health testing necessary.

As a breed the Siberian is still a very healthy breed but it will only remain so if breeders carry out the appropriate health tests before breeding. Already we are seeing an increase in eye problems and hip displacia, because irresponsible breeders don't test.

On my own experience, we have owned about 30 Sibes over the years - all KC registered, and only one has had any significant health problems (epilepsy). On the other hand, during the same period, we have fostered about 200 unregistered Sibes for welfare, and probably 15% of those have had serious health issues.

Mick

Well said Mick, more Huskies bred unregistered increases the chances of health problems and the numbers will only get worse if people breed from these dogs.

Though some of the worst cases of puppy farming are from Show winners etc because people trust these people, but we have seen appauling cases of bad conditions. I am not saying this is the case of Husky breeders but is true of other breeds.

over here, the better breeders often work their dogs in harness, as well as show them, and in the UK, to be able to work them competitively it is so much easier to have registered sibes, if they're not registers you have to go through getting them looked over and told they are a real sibe. I would have been well pissed if they had turned round to me and said, no, thats not a real husky :angry: lol

dunno how it is in the us, i know in the big races (iditarod etc) there are lots of alakans and x's, so obviously they wouldnt be registered, but they are still bred very carefully :)

Racing dogs around the world are mostly Husky crosses these days mainly to get a faster dog. I actualy feel we should allow classes for dogs that are not KC reg but must not be allowed to win overal or it will be the end of husky racing as we know it in the UK

both kc reg - no problems

1 mutt so obv not registered - no problems

i dont think it has anything to do with papers - its more down to health testing in the parents - if the parents are heath tested with no problems then its very rare for the pups too = if they are health tested have problems but STILL bred - then your more likely to get health problems