How long after feeding till walk?

My guys go for their daily run half hour after breakfast, but that just lets me finish my coffee in peace. To be honest, I've never thought about bloat. Maybe I should.

My impeccable source (Siberian Huskies for Dummies) says:

"Bloat is a disease that is most common in large breeds with deep chests, but it can and does occur in huskies...the dog's stomach becomes distended with gas or fluid (or both). The stomach can then twist, trapping the gas...Often surgery is the only option...The best treatment for bloat is prevention...encourage your dog to eat slowly by scattering the food over a larger area. Do not exercise your husky immediately before or after eating."

What I know about bloat:

Bloat affects between 40,000 and 60k dogs in the US every year (I haven't found a worldwide stat yet). It is fatal in 1/3 of all cases. It's more common in large breed and barrel chested type dogs than smaller ones. Huskies are not on the list of breeds at high risk for getting bloat but that doesn't mean that they never get it. Just that by instances per breed of Bloat Huskies have a lower instance of it than alot of other breeds of dog.

Signs and Symptoms of Bloat:

• Unproductive Vomiting (Contact your Vet IMMEDIATELY)
  • Distended abdomen or unusually taut abdomen (tight like a drum)
  • Excessive salivation/drooling
  • Restlessness and/or pacing
  • A “hunched up†appearance
  • Coughing, shallow breathing, or licking at air
  • Repeated turning to look at their side or flank

NEVER IGNORE WHEN YOUR DOG STOPS ACTING LIKE HIM OR HERSELF. IT'S ONE OF THE TOP SIGNS OWNERS OVERLOOK FOR ANY ILLNESS

Some things to keep in mind:

• Fearful or stressed dogs are at a 250% higher risk of developing Bloat than non stressed/non fearful dogs
  • Dogs who eat rapidly increase their chances of getting bloat
  • Dogs who have a parent or sibling whose had bloat have a higher risk of getting bloat
  • Dogs who exersize immediately before or immediately after eating are at increased risk for bloat

Breeds at high risk for bloat in order of risk:

1. German Shepherd
  2. Great Dane
  3. Standard Poodle
  4. Rottweiler
  5. Akita
  6. Bloodhound
  7. Great Pyrenees
  8. Irish Setter
  9. Old English Sheepdog
  10. Boxer
  11. Golden Retriever
  12. Irish Wolfhound
  13. St. Bernards
  14. Labrador Retriever
  15. Newfoundland
  16. Doberman
I do know that if you feed him wet food or raw it can be ready to leave his system in as little as half an hour...

Kibble can take a couple of hours.

I tend to take Fox for a walk either half an hour to an hour before eating or half an hour to an hour after eating. Hope this helps a little bit

I usually feed them after walks but do feed them before sometimes usually an hour before.

I never thought about bloating in the past. When Buck was alive because of my work patern I used to be able to come home in the evening feed him and take him for a walk. We never had any problems with him. I did this for over 10 years.

Sibes aren't that prone to bloat, if you think about the working sled dogs that do the long distance races, they tend to eat and exercise without much of a break in between. However, I always rest my dog for at least an hour after feeding, I feed in groups and they stay in their pens for that hour after they've eaten so that they get total rest.

My GSD/sibe cross girl Nannuq bloated earlier this year, and if I hadn't known the signs (thanks to a friend who has Great Danes and lost a dog to bloat) she would have died. I got her to the vets very quickly on a Friday night, about 10pm. They tried passing a tube to relieve the pressure, it wouldn't go, so she had to have an operation, finally all finished at 3am. She has since bloated again, but she didn't torsion this time, mainly because when they operated on her previously, they stitched her stomach to the wall of her abdomen. So yes, I am paranoid about bloat, I know too many people who have lost dogs, even breeds that aren't prone to it, to take any chances now.