What do you feed your dawg?

Lil Miss Bump

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diz, I feed raw, but I also feed cooked veggies. I make a big pot of veggies with beef mince and brown rice and freeze it in tubs with their daily meat. They get one heaped tablespoon of veggies with each meal twice a day and they looooove it - I mix one teaspoon each of Omega 3 oil and apple cider vinegar in with the veggies. They are in excellent condition, their coats shine and their poo is firm and odorless - which is a huge benefit as I am the one who does the poo parade every day :blink:

For treats they get chicken necks, gizzards or cheese . They don't get any shop bought treats or foods at all because of Ozzy's stomach/digestive problems.

Loki gets Solid gold kibble with a (solid gold brand) SeaMeal supplement twice a day (he has an extremely sensitive tummy sad.gif)(I had him on kibble in mornings and raw at evenings but started getting stinky (sometimes runny) poos and farts all the time even with chicken wings blink.gif so went back to kibble, but he does get veggies/bones etc for treats

Haven't had a problem since smile.gif

Mine are on Wainrights and homecooked .I know a lot of people dont agree with him but i have a book by William D Cusick (the dog advocate) and he claims that each breed of dog needs its own specific diet depending on where in the world it originated from .His website makes interesting reading .An example of his diet for Huskies includes fish and poultry with potatoes, broccoli ,squash , carrots, green beans and safflower oil . He advises staying away from beef , horse meat , soy ,avocado ,yellow corn and beet pulp

• 2 weeks later...

I feed Echo mainly Ol'Roy puppy chow. This is what the breeder recommended and she has used this for her

huskies for years! I was worried at first, but Echo loves it and is growing and doing VERY well on it. We also

give her cooked pork, chicken, and beef off the bone. This is usually a weekly item, not daily. She also will eat

some veggies once a week, depending on what we are eating.

• 3 weeks later...

you will find everyone has their own opinion. Storm was on Royal Canin but he was very hypo and I reckon it was the additives. He is now on Green Dog which is a holistic and hypoallergenic food with quite a high meat content. greendog food Some people swear by raw but when I tried to give Storm raw he had a bad tummy for weeks. Also I feel it may be a slight health risk for my kids, having raw meat around. (not trying to start a row with anyone).

Raw chicken wings in the morning.

Natures diet, Meat in a tub from PAH + Autarky Kibble in the evening

(Autarky is so far the only kibble that doesn't turn Daughtry poo to chocoalte milkshake !!)

We don't feed kibble but when we have we have fed Wainwrights

We feed NatureDiet and also raw food

Mainly they have Chicken Wings

Prize choice chicken and beef mince

Breast of lamb (Thier fave!)

Belly Pork

Pork ribs

Pilchards

Tuna

Mainly their diet consists of NatureDiet mostly and the raw is more of a bit here and there

I just was told by my vet to put my pup on Canidae - All Life Stages. I started the transition yesterday and am hoping for the best! I hear lots of great things about it and I just hopes it works out for him better than his past 2 formulas I have had him on. I think my guy Koda suffers from sensitive husky stomach :( My poor guy has got me all confused and has cost me quite a chunk of change at the vet having parasite testing when his stools go from normal to soft almost instantly. He was on the Solid Gold Wolf Cub for some time which I was told was a bison based blend then switched over to their lamb formula the Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken. Still now that he is 8 months old he battles episodes I would say with his belly. I feel so bad for him because I treat him due to this and not wanting to aggravate his belly. I just hope this works. Any suggestions or comments to this are welcome ;)

Ive put my 3 on a home cooked diet after getting sick of Kal getting the runs fortnightly and Sam getting regular ear infections.I blend some vegetables and freeze enough for about 8 days and then i mix this with chicken or fish (on alternate days) and a high bran cereal .I mix brewers yeast and kelp powder into this every other day and one day a week they get cottage cheese mixed with bran and natural yogurt .Its not as expensive as you think as you can get 8 frozen chicken fillets from asda for less than £4 and the frozen fish is even cheaper .I was previously paying about £30 for Wainrights kibble which was lasting 3-4 weeks and this new diet is working out at about the same.

Up to now it has sorted out Kals runs after about 3 weeks (Sam is on a course of anti-biotics to sort out his ear infection) and once you get used to getting the frozen veg out for the next day it is easy enough to prepare

mine have NatureDiet, it's the only thing Myshka has not had a zinc deficiency reaction with. They also get raw fish, chicken wings / quarters, mince, beef chunks, tripe chunks. They've not had kibble for a long time now. I have also just started Myshka on a zinc supplement for dogs to help the absorption.

We feed our dogs on Best Choice - a really high quality complete food imported from Germany. Many of the top European Sled Dog teams feed their dogs on this brand. We also recommend that all the rescue dogs that come through SHWA(UK) are fed on it as it is such a good food and comes in such a wide range to suit every eventuality. In addition, Anita Holliday of Lionslord Pet Nutrition who imports it into the UK, is always happy to advise people on the particular grade of food that would be suitable for your dog(s). Not only is it an excellent quality food, but it is considerably cheaper than other "premium" dog food brands.

Anita's contact details are on the front page of our website: http://www.dreamcatcher.org.uk

Mick

• 1 month later...

My two are on Wainwrights from Pets at Home (buy 15kg sacks and alternate between duck/rice and rabbit/rice). They also get the odd barf meal too (minced tripe, minced rabbit, chicken scraps if we're cooking that, pig trotters, etc). They seem quite happy on it. The thing I like about Wainwrights is that it only contains what it says it does and that can only be a good thing as Buddy suffers from Husky belly too :) .