NO! HE'S NOT A WOLF!

Macdog

I get very, very used to being told that my Sibes "are part wolf" or "look just like wolves". So used to it that now, rather than being annoyed, I only smile sweetly say:"I sure hope not!" or "They better not be!" or "No more so than a poodle." But it's still tiresome.

One bright fellow said to me, looking straight at my Kayko: "Of course those dogs are part wolf. Just look at 'em!" Now, by that logic, whales are fish. I mean, just look at 'em. :-)

Charlton Heston's 1972 "Call of the Wild" helped build this urban legend. The opening and closing scenes show a pack of 'wolves' running through the trees. But all of you would notice straight away that the 'wolves' are all Siberian Huskies. Hilarious! Hollywood!

wild72.jpg

I suppose they would have had some problems using real wolves, what with them eating the cast and crew...

In spite of the obvious similarities, wolves and dogs differ in some very important ways:

- those wolves are BIG. Male grey wolves can go up to 150 pounds. Kayko weighs 65 pounds. Malamutes might be wolf-sized, but not a Sibe.

- wolves have brains which are 30% larger in proportion to those of domestic dogs. This allows them to have a much more complex social structure and to do things like actually planning hunts in advance.

- wolves come into season once a year, dogs twice

- wolves' muzzles are longer than those of dogs and the canine teeth are much more curved

- wolves never have blue eyes

- wolves are always monochrome brown / grey. They don't have white faces or masks.

- dogs can eat vegetables & rice. Wolves can't / won't / don't.

Have I missed anything?

Finally, I guess from my point of view, the biggest difference is temperament. Wolves, on the one hand are typically fearful or aggressive toward humans. Dogs, on the other hand, are inherently curious about people. They watch us - and have been watching us for 15,000 years or more. Charles Darwin wrote about wild dogs in South America coming out of the bush to watch men. I've only seen wolves in the wild twice. They weren't curious. At all.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL it does get very irritating though Kiana hasn't been called a wolf much at all people are always saying she's a coyote O_o most times I ignore them but every now and then they'll hit me on a bad day and I'll say something about it. Just part of owning a unique and wonderful breed ^_^

this is the conversation i had with someone yesterday

him - what sort of husky do you have?

me - a siberian husky

him - nooooooo that cant be a siberian husky cos thats what i have

me - It is a siberian husky

him - no i have a siberian husky and he's grey and white so yours must be something else

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they come in different colours. blimey do peeps really own huskys and no NOTHING

this is the conversation i had with someone yesterday

him - what sort of husky do you have?

me - a siberian husky

him - nooooooo that cant be a siberian husky cos thats what i have

me - It is a siberian husky

him - no i have a siberian husky and he's grey and white so yours must be something else

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they come in different colours. blimey do peeps really own huskys and no NOTHING

LMFAO :rofl: thats classic I'll be chuckling at that one for the rest of the day.

Just to point something out:

- wolves never have blue eyes

- wolves are always monochrome brown / grey. They don't have white faces or masks.

Wolfpups are born with blue eyes, but will change to orange/yellow over time. In some rare cases it can stay blue/orange-ish but never as blue as with huskies.

Wolves can also have a full black or white coat (not both at the same time though). Arctic wolves for example. Wolves can also have the masks, although it does vary for each subspecies.

Something to add on the list:

• Wolves don't have their tails curled :lol:

LOL it does get very irritating though Kiana hasn't been called a wolf much at all people are always saying she's a coyote O_o most times I ignore them but every now and then they'll hit me on a bad day and I'll say something about it. Just part of owning a unique and wonderful breed ^_^

Yeah, it's funny how some people assume way too much. Because come on, a coyote's head looks closer to one of a fox and they are so much smaller and lanky. Then again, I'm sure there's someone out here that's tried to keep one as a pet... blink.gif

My partner came back from walking Neo today and told me one woman walking her Westie told her child to stay away from him because he's obviously a 'wolf' dog and that he is bound to be nasty and would possibly bite.. so my other half set her straight.

When he told me who it was, I was quite pleased to mention that it was her Westie, when her partner walked it that growled and snapped at Neo the other week.. so now who looks nasty and has the possibility to bite..lol

I have recently had parents reeling their kids in when they see us coming along the path with Neo.. and it does make me wonder if they realise what fear they are instilling in their own - it's quite sad really..