Help! Shaved Husky

Arooroomom

Hi guys-

There is a stray/abandoned Husky in Miami that had recently been shaved. A woman contacted me about taking him in, so i've agreed to meet her friday with the dogs to be sure they get on OK before I commit to anything. He isn't in the best of shape... I'm not sure how often he was shaved or if this was his first time but any ideas about what I can give him to help the coat grow back in as healthy as possible? He's not been properly fed or cared for and the woman who's got him for the time being speculates he was an outdoor dog. He's been vetted and neutered, and they believe he's about 3.

And pictures of course...

lostdog006.jpg

lostdog005.jpg

lostdog002.jpg

If all goes well Friday he'll come home and i'll start him on raw as that seemed to help Mickeys skin/fur when I had to shave him for his skin issue awhile back. Any other ideas of supplements?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish with food and Vitamin E suppliments

One teaspoon of olive, sunflower, safflower, canola, flaxseed or fish oil in their food daily

One tablespoon (per 35lbs) of Apple Cider Vinegar. - This prevents a lot of skin issues, reduces shedding and is a flea repellent. A bonus is it gets rid of grass staining from urine.

Fish and Fish oil (Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids) also reduce shedding.

[url="http://www.ehow.com/how_2144652_keep-dogs-coat-healthy-shiny.html#ixzz1249KvBGl"]

Awww what a cute face!!!! Hope everything goes well. If he is neutered and such maybe he has a microchip? Sorry not much help on the supplements either. I heard eggs are always good for their fur (cooked because of the salmonella). I think if you just feed him a good diet he should be ok. Who knows what food he had been on. :(

Keep us updated.

She said his elbows are red and raw because of sleeping on the concrete outside. She found him and listed him online as found-looking for original owners. Called every vet/groomer within 20 miles asking if they had recently shaved a intact male Siberian Husky or knew someone who was missing one. No one came forward after she had him a month. She took him to a rescue who helped with neutering, vet check, micro-chip, and vaccinations. As well as had him tested/treated for a mild tick disease. That's when I was contacted, about a week and a half ago. I feel terrible for him sad.gif

She said his elbows are red and raw because of sleeping on the concrete outside. She found him and listed him online as found-looking for original owners. Called every vet/groomer within 20 miles asking if they had recently shaved a intact male Siberian Husky or knew someone who was missing one. No one came forward after she had him a month. She took him to a rescue who helped with neutering, vet check, micro-chip, and vaccinations. As well as had him tested/treated for a mild tick disease. That's when I was contacted, about a week and a half ago. I feel terrible for him sad.gif

Oh I see....the lady that found him got all that done. Bless her...she is an angel. I thought he was already neutered etc when he was found. That is so odd. I am sure not too many people shave their huskies....and it does look done professionally from what I see on the pics. Maybe the previous owner had skills and did it himself.

Oh I see....the lady that found him got all that done. Bless her...she is an angel. I thought he was already neutered etc when he was found. That is so odd. I am sure not too many people shave their huskies....and it does look done professionally from what I see on the pics. Maybe the previous owner had skills and did it himself.

Possibly, I'm hoping it was the first time it's happened (as his tail and head look healthy) which will make it much easier/better for it to grow back in naturally. But I remember when I had to shave Mickey.... it looked like a real hack job, it's not as easy as one would think! Poor guy, I can't believe people actually prefer them this way!

Possibly, I'm hoping it was the first time it's happened (as his tail and head look healthy) which will make it much easier/better for it to grow back in naturally. But I remember when I had to shave Mickey.... it looked like a real hack job, it's not as easy as one would think! Poor guy, I can't believe people actually prefer them this way!

Ha ha ha yes I know. We used to shave our chow mix in the summer because where we lived there was no groomer close by. He always looked so bad that I was embarrassed to go and walk him! LMAO!! That's why I think someone professional must have shaved him. But then again a pro would have probably advised them not to shave him and just trim him instead, unless there was a reason to get him shaved.

But who knows...point is that he is in good hands now :D

Get him a very thorough bath and brush out/deshed. That coat needs to be totally clean as does the skin and free of all dead hair for any coat restoration. If the ends are damaged and feel wirey from having been shaved with a dirty coat and dead hair still in the coat have someone trim them off possible even do a reverse clip to help smooth the coat. Other than that keep the coat clean and brushed and don't expect a healthy coat until at least a few good coat blows from now. Ronan's took a full year to repair itself and that was just from too much sunlight (dried the guard hairs to a crisp) and crappy food.

Good luck on Friday. If he's only been shaved once, I'll bet it will grow back fine. May take awhile. Supplements suggested by Kristina would be helpful. I'd also make sure the food he gets is high quality and free of corn and wheat. Best to limit his time in the sun, until some of that coat starts to come back in. He does sort of look goofy. Bet when his coat comes back in, he'll look so much better.

Makes you wonder if someone was selling his fur.. because why would you shave a husky at all..

Either that or he had a major case of Mange or something and they did it for those reasons to treat ?

I agree with the fish oils etc.. and eggs.. since Neo has been on a raw diet with fish included, his fur is a lot better than it was..

Hope everything gets sorted with him.

Hugs

Nikki x

Make sure you talk with your vet about possible sun protection...Huskies skin is VERY sensitive to the sun, and a sunburn even at the beginning of summer is completely possible. Also their fur is an insulator/temp regulator...so I'd consider a sweater or just keep a close eye on his comfort in relation to the outside weather.

I feel sorry for that poor boy, despite it looking to be a professional job, it just doesn't look right on a Husky. He's lucky the woman who found him was able to get him some help, and was responsible. It seems you've got a handle on the feeding so...well kudos. As I said, only thing further I'd look into would be additional sun protection, and perhaps a sweater since the coat of a Husky is what helps keep the heat in during the winter...and the heat out during the summer. Good luck, and pleaaase keep us updated.

Makes you wonder if someone was selling his fur.. because why would you shave a husky at all..

Either that or he had a major case of Mange or something and they did it for those reasons to treat ?

I agree with the fish oils etc.. and eggs.. since Neo has been on a raw diet with fish included, his fur is a lot better than it was..

Hope everything gets sorted with him.

Hugs

Nikki x

a lot of people don't realize a huskies fur not only keeps them warm but cools them off, and since he was an outdoor dog they probably thought shaving him would keep him cool in the summer.

I heard a lot of people saying it`s good to shave a husky, even our vet said this to a woman with husky.But i couldn`t just stay and hear those words and I explained them that is not good for a husky to be shaved.:angry: The vet was a bit surprized. :rolleyes:

Good job on speaking up! When I took Zihna to my groomer for the first time we talked about that subject too. And she knew that Huskies are not supposed to be shaved. Maybe get them a trim. But Zihna's coat is so short I don't think she will need a trim .... so its just a bath for her every few month's while Whisper is getting all pretty. lol

Get him a very thorough bath and brush out/deshed. That coat needs to be totally clean as does the skin and free of all dead hair for any coat restoration. If the ends are damaged and feel wirey from having been shaved with a dirty coat and dead hair still in the coat have someone trim them off possible even do a reverse clip to help smooth the coat. Other than that keep the coat clean and brushed and don't expect a healthy coat until at least a few good coat blows from now. Ronan's took a full year to repair itself and that was just from too much sunlight (dried the guard hairs to a crisp) and crappy food.

Thanks so much Ren, and everyone else too!

The cold isn't the issue here, the sun is. He'll be wearing one of my old work shirts when we go outside if all goes well Friday. I'll keep everyone updated of course!