Help! Shaved Husky

Arooroomom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to add that if his coat feels greasy or grimey use a degreaser shampoo (what we use at work as our "secret weapon" is F & T by Les Pooch, our runner-up degreaser to that is Premier by Bark 2 Basics). Do a second shampoo using a much more mild shampoo to help get any residual dirt and really make sure all the degreaser shampoo gets out (that is very harsh on coat and skin if not thoroughly rinsed out). If his skin looks irritated or dry from lack of protection with his missing coat consider using an Oatmeal-based shampoo as your second shampoo. If the hair itself was rather dry/crispy even though it was greasey (or even if it wasnt greasey at all but is still dry) make sure to use a conditioner to help repair the coat! Make sure to follow the conditioner instructions, some are meant to be leave-ins others should be rinsed out. If the coat was indeed greasey do not use a leave-in conditioner! Or rather you can but still rinse out after applying (just let it sit for about 10 mins before rinsing out so some can soak in).

At the end of the bath after toweling but before the high velocity spray something similar to Ice on Ice by Chris Christensen Systems (even if it was a greasey coat) on the coat. You don't need a whole lot, its a 15:1 dilution and you only spray once over the head then 2-3 times on each side of the dog. This helps with protection from the sun amongst other things. You can do a final couple more sprays at the very end of the groomer after the brushing out is done.

This is of course only my opinion of what should be done taken from my experiences of being a groomer. You may find other groomers have other ideas but it is how I would handle it if this particular case showed up at our facilities. If the coat is not overly greasey or grimey just use a regular strength shampoo or at the "strongest" the Premier isn't too harsh at all.

I wish you were closer, my boss is really good about volunteering our grooming services to rescued animals!

Thank you SO much Ren, really I appreciate it! I work at a kennel with a full service grooming salon so i've got everything you've mentioned. We can use the equipment/ supplies for free whenever. Of course now it's just up to me to assess the coat condition. Hopefully it's not as bad as it looks and will be looking great and on the way to recovery in no time!

For some skin infections vet's sometimes advice dog owners to shave the dog for good treathment, but his skin other then the elbows look great so can't be that. 3 years ag o i have addopted a shaved samojeed, she was found neglected and full of tumors. they remover both hair and tumors and for 1 1/2 year she had a good time at our place.

Het fur never became as it should have been. hard to brush andvery hard to maintain proper as it should be. I've also been familiar with a shaved huskt who did nog get his full coat back afther neglection and shavind, he onky returned fur on patches over his body.

On these 2 pictures you can see his undercoat already comeing back so i think he will have a good chance of getting a propper coat back. don't add to much extra things in his food, goodfood contains all a dog need and with some fish oil or raw fish you will get him back in shapen in no time, specialy with winter approaching.

If he was treated for a tick disease, I can't help but wonder if that is why he was shaved. I spent 3 hours once pulling tics off of a yellow lab...it was horrible. If he was infested with tics, I'd guess also that his coat was in bad shape. May have been the best chance for him to get healthy. It's amazing how much the coat makes a difference in appearance and weight!

I'm interested in learning more about the apple cider vinegar and pee stain. I wonder if something like that might also slow down my Jackson's eating. We actually went 1-1/2 minutes this morning, with bowl checking of course to see if any morsels were hiding beneath the blocks!

• 2 weeks later...