what would you do?

MissBella

ok so bear, the elder one, is having a HARD time getting up. We put rugs in front of him and around him, but he can not get up or it'll take him a LONG time! And whats even worse, is he urinates and poops all the time on the floor! I am constantly cleaning up after him. Its kinda like he doesnt care anymore. The only time he urintes is getting up and the smell is TREMENDOUS!!! And when he finally does get up and theres pee all over the place, he controls it to stop, but then 1ft from the door, he starts again! He eats and drinks normally and is on pills for his hips, but i was thinkin about a diaper, but do they make diapers for a full grown akita? and every now and then he plays with bella and max. So any ideas on what to do? We both love him, so do not want to do anything too dramatic. and if there is diapers, do we still have to clean him after he pees or poops in it?

May I suggest that you PM Cathy on here? She had a male wrap for her golden oldie, Nic. (You can also read a bit about it in her blog).

Is he unhappy? I ask because of your statement 'it's kinda like he doesn't care' ......For the old ones, it's all about the quality of life. If he's unhappy you may want to consider helping him to the Bridge. I know how difficult a decision that is and I do not say that lightly. I was fortunate enough to have my boy for over 15 years. Things got slow and difficult for him as well, though he never got to the point of loosing control of his bladder or bowels. I took his difficulties as an opportunity to learn patience, something I've always had a hard time with. These old ones can teach you a lot if you let them.

Never let go of him until you believe he is ready - it's all about them. I'm in no way saying that this is something you should do, but I know if my boy had similar problems, it would have taken his dignity away (He was a very dignified old man!)

It's hard to decide what to do, and even more difficult when you want them to stay with you so badly. Only you know the right answer to what I'm throwing out, and I don't mean in any way to say that it is what is right. Just want you to look things from Bear's point of view as well.

Hugs in your search for answers, do contact Cathy as she went through a similar situation with Nic before he passed.