Sex Change Dog..........in Manchester (obv!)

Lil Miss Bump

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8060144/Sex-change-dog-seeks-new-home.html

Georgie, a Staffordshire bull terrier cross, was abandoned as a stray after suffering the extremely rare condition.

Staff at Manchester Dogs Home said visitors would "fall in love" with the dog, believed to be about two years old, but be put off when they learned of its sexuality.

Now surgeons have transformed the dog by removing her male organs and turning her into a bitch.

Lisa Graham, 35, manager at the home, said: ''People would see her and were quite attracted. When we explained the condition she had and that she would have to come back to us for surgery, they were repulsed – it was not the surgical aspect, it was the condition.''

Ms Graham said the vet at the home, which takes in 7,000 strays each year, had been looking after animals for 30 years but had only ever seen one other similar case.

It's rare but it happens. The important bit that could have a long term impact on the dog is whether or not they removed the non functioning organ, as I've NEVER heard of a case in people or mammals in which both sex organs were present at birth and fully functional. The trouble is, at birth I'm not certain there is a way to see which is going to be the functioning organ and which isn't. There was a really interesting study done some years back regarding humans who had been born with both organs (parents frequently opted for removing the penis) and gender identity...I'll see if I can't dig it up