refusing to eat

aksnowpeach

Oye vey, so I am having a problem with my sibe Kai. Normally he is the massive speed eater of my 2, but lately he has just had NO interest in his food! I have to practically stand there to force him to eat or he wont eat at all. He runs ot his food bowl like he hasn't eaten for days, but then I will put the food in his bowl and he will just stand there, lay there, or walk away. Or he will "pretend" to eat and put a few in his mouth, just to spit them back out again. HELP is this normal?? The only thing different is that he has been a buzzard for people food. He stole an entire loaf of bread I had taken out of the oven!! Is he refusing his food because he has a taste for people food now?

Having checked your profile to see how old he is, I would guess it's partly his age - somewhere around that age, it seems like they've finally settled in, and (at least some of them!) aren't so voracious all the time. Of course, once they've had a chance to not be so hungry all the time, they can start to become a little more discriminatory - and discover that people food is much better than dog food! Is he as picky when you feed him raw?

Having checked your profile to see how old he is, I would guess it's partly his age - somewhere around that age, it seems like they've finally settled in, and (at least some of them!) aren't so voracious all the time. Of course, once they've had a chance to not be so hungry all the time, they can start to become a little more discriminatory - and discover that people food is much better than dog food! Is he as picky when you feed him raw?

Nope...not in the least. He pretty much will eat any type of people food I put infront of him! The only thing he isn't a big fan of are potatoes unless they are sweet potatoes that are boiled soft.

• 2 months later...

I agree with dygosamikita.

Also some dogs can be self regulating. He may only eat what he thinks he needs.

Huskies also naturally don't eat very much. They are the only dog breed that has control over their metabolism. They can change their metabolism according to their level of exercise and whether they need to burn more or less fat.

As long as he isn't dropping weight then there is no need to worry. :)

some great answers here! what I found with one of mine, she is a fussy eater & if you give her say, the same kibble 3 days on the run, she'll not eat it on day 3. I keep rotating her food, mainly raw (raw chicken wings, beef, tripe, etc) then dry food with sardines or mackerel in oil. She rarely leaves it now but if she does, it just gets served at her next meal. Huskies will not starve themselves. Keep a check on him, try him with something different (e.g. a raw egg, a whole raw fish) and see how he goes, but as long as he is still drinking & acting the same in every other aspect, he's just being a husky! :lol: