Scootering :)

Sarah

How is it any different to running on a gravel trail path that is mostly at these forest/national parks??

Loki is let off leash yes, we tend to take him to the innermost field that has fencing round it but doesn't stop other people and dogs walking through. In fact he's pretty good offleash from the car park by the house, walks round the lakes then through to the other side of the football fields / cafe to the fields

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paths are too hard, no give in the ground etc so can cause injury in the dog from the poundng motion, will rip the hell out of the dogs paws, its actually illegal to have a dog pull you in a public place (I know its rediculous), i cant remember the actual wording but its classed as a motorised vehicle or something. Some mushers have to wait years for permits.

here is info about signs - http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/enjoying/places/rightsofway/prow/default.aspx and http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/enjoying/countrysidecode/keepdogs.aspx

so basically you can scooter on a by-way (good luck finding one, not many left). i recommend getting an OS map and seeing if there are any local then walking it to see if its suitable - ie not churned up by horses as then that could break a dogs leg etc.

Start by teaching your dog the mushing commands (gee, haw, on by, hike on etc) so you can control your dog while on the scooter, if could all go horribly wrong

National trust land dont allow it

Forestry commission do with a permit/insurance and only VERY limited places (I can only go to one place within a massive forest and thats a 35min drive)

If your dog is registered (KC) you can enter rallys, if not you can only enter 'open' events...like the one amanda palmer is doing in october in cambridge.

As for temperature, huskys start feeling the affects of heat stress/damage at a very low temperature. for running a husky shouldnt be ran above 12 degrees. you could kill him

here's my boys having sooooo much fun

th_propicstakenapril11002.jpg

this was taken in the forest of dean last weekend.

How is it any different to running on a gravel trail path that is mostly at these forest/national parks??

Loki is let off leash yes, we tend to take him to the innermost field that has fencing round it but doesn't stop other people and dogs walking through. In fact he's pretty good offleash from the car park by the house, walks round the lakes then through to the other side of the football fields / cafe to the fields

i know its really frustrating, its how we all feel. the best surface for their paws and joints is literally a soft forest trail but you cant use that without a permit so its a viscious cirlcle. however they are not expensive - i pay £50 a yr & £20 a yr insurance. we have to keep our permits in our vehicles as the forestry commission do randomly check. they havent done so when i've been there but some friends of mine have.

Police are having a crackdown in my area and are issuing fines (so ive been told)

I found a great place to go the other day for speed training, but the first part was soooooooooo churned up by horses it would break their legs and it was next to a canal. we were walking along and the ducks started quacking...and i was like...nooooooooo way even if i walked them passed the churned up bit they'd pull me into the canal.

im pretty sure thats bike joring is ok but as i havent done it i have never really found out. i'd ask the mushers on the SS forum on that one. forestry commission are very touchy so i wouldnt risk them, not sure about how strict national trust are with bike joring etc. but the same would apply RE temperature, what they actually run on etc.

theres a woman who apparenlty runs 2 sibes on a bike near me (never seen her but peeps keep telling me about her) and she runs hers on tarmac...poor dogs. i keep hoping to see her. footpaths are a big no, no as they are that...footpaths

Are you allowed to do bikejoring on fields and stuff then or is that all under permits etc? I know the rigs need permits, do the scooters as well?

Sarah: Scooter looks really fun :)

I would be worried about her running on the grass because the smells might grab her attention more personally.

I generally cycle with aleu on tarmac or dirt tracks.

It's a lot more easy going than bike joring and scootering so I doubt you'd have much problems on the path.

Stacey xxx