Would you use it??

SarahNukka&Shadow

Ok so as you all are awear from my constant whining.. we dont have a proper dog park here in Notts!

What I have found is not too far from me (bout 45 mins walk) is a park that is totally enclosed BUT has a gate at either end and both ends lead DIRECTLY onto some VERY busy roads!!

So today I went with my kids and checked that both gates were shut it was about 2.30pm so not many people around and no one using the park.. they had a BLAST and came back every time I called with the help of some yummy busicuits! I was soooo pleased with them and want to be able to take them there regularly but I just dont trust the general public at large not to leave the gates open or do something else that could cause them to escape...

What do you guys think?? Should I risk it and just try to stick to times I think no one will be around? but what if someone comes in with a dog and I cant get mine back??? oooooh I know Im a worrier but I just cant stand the thought of something happening to my babies!! :blink:

I think i would bring some large caribiner clips and clip shut the gates. I think I might also post a sign or two at the gates asking people using the park to please secure the gate behind them for the safety of the animals. Does someone run the park or own the land? Not sure if the signs/or clips would work, or be there next time, but I would hope everyone wants their dog to stay safe!

I think i would bring some large caribiner clips and clip shut the gates. I think I might also post a sign or two at the gates asking people using the park to please secure the gate behind them for the safety of the animals. Does someone run the park or own the land? Not sure if the signs/or clips would work, or be there next time, but I would hope everyone wants their dog to stay safe!

thats a really good idea! +1 get sum caribiners and clip the gates shut - you can take them with you everytime you use the area then take them home once uve finished :D

Try taking someone with you to man the gates maybe? So if someones on there way in you can catch your dogs first.? I know that your already aware of the 100 ft lead and it's so much better without them!

they could always be clipped on for extra safety - they dont have to be held - but we all know how quick huskies are and they arent always easy to grab and could slip past when trying to escape - so unless you can make sure the gates will deffinately stay closed it might be an idea to keep long leads on them as an extra precaution

See they have flexi leads and we do take them out on these so they get a good run, but can only really do this when hubby is about as I cant handle them both on long lines.. they just get tangled up (they looooove to wrestle!!) So thats an option for when I have help but mostly Im by myself...

Not sure bout chaining or otherwise locking the gates as its a public park owned by the local council so people might get annoyed with me locking them up!? :mellow:

Posting signs is a good idea tho.. might just have a go at that.. and the park isnt MASSIVE its big enough for my pooches to get a really good run but small enough that I can see both gates to see when people are coming...

As far as noisey toys... I actually HATE them so my dogs dont have any.. maybe I could get one to use for recall purposes and test it at a friends garden (her gardens quite big) to see if it works under distraction, she also has a dog so could wait till their mid play then squeek it to get attention and call them back with tasties?

Oooooh the signs could have H-O logo on! And I could laminate them so can take them with me every time! Somthing like....

"We are in the park at the moment,

we are very friendly but will run off,

PLEASE CLOSE THE GATE BEHIND YOU!" ?????

sounds good - go for it :) why dont you try a whistle if you really hate squeaky toys lol

See I do whistle through my teeth as their emergency recall.. so I could do this, but in the middle of "OH MY GOD THERES A DOG WE DONT KNOW MUST GO BE FRIENDS!!" they are more likely to listen to squeeky toy.. and just for special recall reward I can handle it, its just the insecent call of a dieing squeeky that is getting a thrashing from a very excited Nukka that grates on my nerves! LOL :D

Right so today I went back with my two and one of my walker dogs too.. (he also has selective hearing and is twice as strong as my two and hes a retreiver? Go figure!)

As its half term it was a little busier than I'd like and people KEPT leaving the sodding gates open born in barns much!? So deffo gunna need the please close the gate signs HOWEVER all three dogs were brilliantly behaved! I went armed with squeeky toys, lots of balls and a ton of gravey bones and all three came back when called even under distraction of dogs they didnt know (which didnt stay long after the snotty owner saw how my three were playing anyway) Soooooo although I wont be making it a daily thing it deffo makes me a little more comfortable using it knowing how good they were! :) Yay for my well behaved pooches!

All our local parks which are fenced off and would be great.. are all no dog areas :(

I think I would be on the 100ft lead idea on this one - too much of a risk of someone leaving a gate open...

Well I have flexi leads that I take them out on when I have help but cant really manage them both by myself.. Think Im gunna do the signs asking people to close the gate behind them.. theirs a little kiddy park on there to so works in favour of the kids.. dont want them running out into traffic either! :blink: