Activity to do with your Husky

jill.valentine

Hi everyone!!

Our little girl is now 9 months (soon 10) and we are looking for some activity to do with her.

She is our first puppy and first Husky, I would like some advice from you.

We are considering mainly 2 sports: Agility and Sled Dog.

I know maybe she would enjoy the most the second one, since she loves running and maybe it comes natural to Huskies. But this is totally a new thing to us. We live in the northern Finland and I am sure somewhere here they raise Huskies for sledding, but I don't know how it works. Do they train only their own dogs? Or they have also sled dog courses for "external owner's dogs" like Jill? What should I look for exactly? Husky dogs kennel? Sledding dog tours places?

I am also "dreaming" about Agility because I know this activity improves very very much the relationship between the owner and the dog, but I am not sure. Maybe trying Agility with an Husky is a no sense because of their nature? Has any of you tried to do agility? How did it went?

I run my boys and the best bit of advice i can give you is to start the training now . Not running / pulling, give it a couple more months yet - but start teaching the commands - hike on, gee / haw etc so she has them firmly embedded in her mind ;)

There's no reason you can't do both agility and running :) With agility, start off with small short sessions - always end when she is still willing to carry on that way she will retain more information and be more willing to work with you the next time you train ;)

Agility is great fun! I would have done it with my Siberian but he has arthritis and wouldn't be able to now :(

There is no reason why your Sibe can't do agility, but they need to have done some basic obedience first. I am actually just about to start a beginners obedience class with my youngest dog :)