Power cut

Val (Zebedee)

We just had a power cut, seems like most of the village went off. Thank God I knew where my candles were & I had 3 large pillar candles to hand. I asked Steve to check on the neighbours, one next door, one opposite, both elderly women living on their own & they both know Steve. Next door had her grandchildren staying, all she had was 1 small scented candle! I gave Steve one of our pillar candles till I could find more. The lady opposite luckily had a torch that worked & she was OK.

The power was only off for 5 minutes or so, but it got me wondering - what would you do to pass the time during a long power cut? (keep it clean, please!!) I had a sudden urge to start singing old songs!! :lol:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cry... cause there'd be no HO forum lol

On a serious note.. be cold, hungry and thirsty as everything relies on power in this house.. even the gas hob has an electric pilot...lol

I remember our electric in our old house being off for over 12 hours once.. it was a nightmare and ended up driving for half hour to my aunts to be able to eat something lol..

Play with Kissu. Trying to train him to find things. Like hiding his ball and tell him to search for it. "Kissu, where's your ball? Get your ball!" Then once he would get bored of that I'd probably lay down and read for a while, then get up and take him for a walk or go to the dog park.

I loooooove reading during power outs though. I dunno why.

Our power goes out several times a year. We first get the flashlights, then the candles. We are on a well for water, so when the power goes out, no water. All of our phones are are cordless, so those are useless, and the battery backup for the computer has only enough power to allow you to save and shutdown. We usually sit around the kitchen table with a candle and pretend its 1865.:D

In South Africa it is a regular occurrence, and as frustrating as it is, we are used to it. Our power is usually off for 8 hours - during the day for maintenance :( but we do get ample warning. We usually have something planned for those days, either a hike with the huskies or a visit with family (usually my daughter) who will feed us :) For those unexpected load-shedding power cuts (which always seem to happen at night) we usually just light up the candles and chat, or go to bed - to read :blink:

when i lived in my last house many years ago, the power used to go off 4 times a week, then it used to go off every day, then when it started being twice a day, the electricity company installed a device that reset it automatically in microseconds so you only noticed a slight flicker.

the fault was an underground wire that used to block, and to fix it a pulse of electricity was sent back up the wire to clear it.(thats what the engineers said) it was like that for 3 years before they replaced the wire.

when it first happened it was off for 18 hours at a time which was really irritating as i had a 4 month old daughter and everything was electric

i had to go and buy a camping stove to heat her bottles and make food

Don't know how many of you know but being well traveled I can tell you we have it good in the UK as like Rosemary and Dave I've been in country's where it happens every week sometimes every day :o

I know what you mean, many times while away the powere as been on and off.

I would probably just grab the laptop and continue my work. I program a lot, and I don't need internet for that :) If it would happen at night, and it seem to take a bit longer, I would probably make a nice walk outside in the dark.

Last power cut that happened was half a year ago when I was at school. All the computers (and our work!) went down. All the fire doors automatically closed and there was no power in the whole city, not even a telephone signal. So chaos, but in a fun may because it meant we couldn't continue our boring work! :lol: