Do you walk the dogs every day??

Sid_Wolf

Steve takes them out 4/5 times a day, but if he's not here then they just go out in the garden, have a mess about out there. They're both pretty calm on the days he's not home at all considering they dont go further than the garden, Nikita generally more so than Bella, she'll just take herself off upstairs to the bedroom to sleep the day away :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milla hasn't been walked on leash in months but she goes to the dog park for 30 min to an hour every day, depending on who is there to play with. If it's deserted, we'll walk the perimeter a couple times (about a mile) until she's gets tired. If her friends are there, she could wrestle and chase for ages. She also has the yard to play in and goes out three or four times a day to explore unless it's raining. She doesn't like rain.

We have more of a routine than a schedule. She goes out about 7am when hubby gets up, then comes back in and sleeps until I get up ~9. Then breakfast, maybe outside again. Once I get dressed it's time to take the boys to class and we finally get to go to the dog park around 11. She has lunch when we come home (she's still on three meals/day) then naps for a couple hours. Outside again to play, play inside with the boys when they get home, dinner around 5, outside again, cause some trouble, more naps, some treats in the evening with obedience training or a treat-toy then bed. It's predictable without being an iron-clad timetable.

I am totally surprised at how many don't get walked at least daily. However I believe whatever works for your particular dog(s) is what you should go with.

We walk ours at least once a day but 99% of the time they get two walks, one in the morning at random times and one in the evening, usually before it goes dark, which is getting earlier and earlier. Feeding times are at roughly set times give or take an hour or two.

Our one furbaby will totally chilax for however long you want her to. She is quite content with no walk, 100 yards or 7 miles. She will always just chill when in the house.

The other is more hyper although she is still only a young'un. No matter how far you walk her she always wants out to the garden as soon as we get home.

I don't like walking Siku around my neighborhood, cause there're no sidewalks and crazy drivers and a couple unfriendly loose dogs. She gets to run around the backyard multiple times a day everyday and I bring her to the dog park a couple of times during the week.

She hasn't been allowed to go anywhere for the past couple of weeks cause she's in heat and surprisingly enough, even though she's been crated most of the time, she's not bouncing off the walls or going crazy. I think if I did take her on scheduled walks she would be acting more crazy right now. Instead she's content with playing out back and inside with her panties on! biggrin.gif Can't wait until she's spayed though, so I don't have to worry like this and stop bringing her to the dog park.

So I think to each their own. If you are an active person and like to go for a run or walk everyday your dog's going to enjoy going with, but if you're not or can't your dog is not going to go crazy or get all depressed either. As long as you play with your dog and give it attention, it will be fine if you took it for a walk that day or not.

I don't like walking Siku around my neighborhood, cause there're no sidewalks and crazy drivers and a couple unfriendly loose dogs. She gets to run around the backyard multiple times a day everyday and I bring her to the dog park a couple of times during the week.

She hasn't been allowed to go anywhere for the past couple of weeks cause she's in heat and surprisingly enough, even though she's been crated most of the time, she's not bouncing off the walls or going crazy. I think if I did take her on scheduled walks she would be acting more crazy right now. Instead she's content with playing out back and inside with her panties on! biggrin.gif Can't wait until she's spayed though, so I don't have to worry like this and stop bringing her to the dog park.

So I think to each their own. If you are an active person and like to go for a run or walk everyday your dog's going to enjoy going with, but if you're not or can't your dog is not going to go crazy or get all depressed either. As long as you play with your dog and give it attention, it will be fine if you took it for a walk that day or not.

So that,s the real problem to walk arroud there...It,s may easy to lose the dog...We get luck of living suburbs...There are forests are fields arround...

I walk my older boy and the puppy about half hour in morning and at night, then my huskamutt and other hound about half hour - forty mins in morning and over hour at night, have now purchased commercial treadmill and once stevo gets over being a pansy fingers crossed he will be having a run on that in evening!!! On saturdays when hubby at work i take them out individually for much longer! I never walked anywhere before but now it feels weird not having something pulling your arm off lol If stevo is not walked he gets very destructive!! I do have maybe one night off but they have to be walked at lest once a day!!!! :D

With firework season up and going in our area now we have changed the walking slightly.

Although my 3 aint bothered about fireworks I like to make sure it stays that way so EVERYDAY now unless I'm literally dying they go out early early morning for about an hour then when I get back have a little sit down, brekfast and coffee play online for bit then we go again (all 3 at same time now I have the canny collars :D ) for about 3hrs by then its lunchtime so have lunch and go to town to do anything I need to if anything have another sit down or do housework, etc until about 4/6pm when we will go out again for their last walk of about 1-2hrs or I will take them out one at a time with the 10m lead and take them to the field for some recall training and let them play with other dogs. By the time we are back its getting dark enough for the fireworks and the boys are pooped enough to have dinner and then go to sleep for the night. We leave them access to the back garden whilst we are there with them so they can go to the toilet after dinner and then shut them in for the night when we go off to bed. So far since fireworks have started round here thy haven't been fussed by them at all and we have a few really LOAD ones about and not a stir!

Tomorro is going to be a challenge though as working so going to have to get up at like silly o'clock in the morning to take them out for a good 3 hours before I leave and hopefully pop back during the day to walk them quickly then as won't be home till late most likely, depends what time Jamie decides to shut shop

2-4 times a day, totalling at least three hours, every single day. :o

She won't wee in the garden and it's not suitable to play in (tiny cobbled yard, no grass) so she also has a pee walk first and last thing and another between walks if she needs it.

Ironically we've been turned down by Dogs Trust etc. for not having a garden, makes me so angry when I think what a good life a rescue dog would have with us, what matter is a garden when you're out walking all hours of the day and night?

I notice you said not having a garden, only a small cobbled yard. We have small patio area which we built because the dogs dug up what ever was in the garden and dug large holes. It was easier to take the grass away. We also had to raise the height of the fences because Roxy kept walking along the wall to my next door neighbours and sitting on the garage roof. My 2 are happy out the back, with patio. They run around and play, even though the space is not huge. They have access to enough greenery when we take them out.