wanting to be outside?

HuskyCouture

so Embry is an indoor dog, usually won't spend more then 3-4 hours a day outside. Since it's gotten cooler out, he has been wanting to go out at night, which is driving me nuts!!

I'm all up for him being outside, but it's 35F outside right now!!!! Almost freezing! And he's whining at the back door! :angry:

do your sibes do this when winter starts approaching?

Zihna wants to be outside all the time too. When it was real hot she did not want to go out that much. But lately when she wakes up she is outside. I leave the backdoor open she made herself a doggy door by popping out the screen on the bottom and goes in and out as she pleases. :lol: Might have to get her a doggy door for winter. A lot of times she will just chill out in the sand by the pool or any other spot in the shade. When the back door is closed she will go and give it a scratch so I open it when she wants out. At night she doesn't stay out that long though but I think its more that she is a big chicken.....when she does go out she usually sits on the deck and just chills unless Whisper or I go out with her then she runs around the yard. But I can already tell that she LOVES to be outside. I bet the cooler weather really feels good to them especially at night. I can't wait for her to get her first snow. :D

But if he has never done it before and he wants to go out all of a sudden at night maybe there is something else out there that catches his interest....maybe a female in heat?

Our last Husky, Elke, wanted to be outside quite a bit. Zoya, is not too bad once it gets dark out. She's content to be inside, except when she needs to go potty.

Mine want to be outside pretty much year round, as we don't get all that hot over here, and when it is really hot, lying out in the shade is preferrable to lying inside.

My girl on her own used to spend a fair bit of time inside for company, but really wanted you to come out and play with her. Now that I have two, and they have free access to outside, they spend almost the entire day out there. They come in every 20 minutes or so to check on us, get a pat etc, then go straight back out. They actually go to sleep out there curled up next to each other on the deck too, and are most displeased that I pick them up and take them to their crates :P!

You mentioned at the start that Embry is an indoor dog. I wouldnt be surprised if it turned out that Embry was actually an outdoor dog who tolerates being inside most of the time for the purpose of company. I don't think any of the 50 or so huskies I've met in person could be described as indoor dogs, though like I said, we dont get the same kind of high temperatures you do.

Keep in mind that freezing to us is pretty ideal to them as well, where we get cold and uncomfortable, they are at just the right temperature, the air is easier to breath, and they can keep active for longer.

It doesnt sound like anything is wrong with him, it just sounds like he's a husky :D

Sounds like Embry is wishing you would set up a doghouse and kennel for him outside ;) Pretty common for huskies to want to be outside when it gets cold out. That is what they are meant for! All my dogs live outside (except for the puppy) because they choose to live outside. Ronan was an indoor dog for the first 2 years of his life, the very day he came to live with me he was eager to spend the night outside, loved it and hasnt looked back since! That was 7 years ago.

Today it was cold, windy and rainy. To me and my boss and pretty much any human it looked miserable out but to my 9 week old puppy, it was wonderful! We left the door open to the fenced yard once all the client dogs had gone home and she had a ball zooming in and out spending more time out than in. When she was done she was SOAKED but she didnt care LOL

Mine are in and out all day. In the evening Ozzy will lie outside on his own, and when he decides its time for bed he will come inside. In summer they prefer to spend more time inside during the middle of the day, but mornings and late afternoons are spent outside, swimming or just laying around.

Skyla LOVES being outside, all the time especially when it starts gettin cooler as it gets darker, if you cant find her she will be outside, blaze likes being outside - if it snows he will go and lie outside in it for hours, he deffo prefers the warm atm tho bless him

Mine HATE the cold weather! haha

well, i haven't really had much experience with Ocea and cold weather yet, i kept her in anyway because she was a pup.

But Honey, her whole life has hated winter. Howls and screams and beats down the windows to come in and never wants to go outside.

But warmer weather, she's fine. Calm as anything, loves being out there and doesn't want to come inside.

So strange.

Mine have mostly been outside dogs all their lives. Nikita loved lying in the snow and getting covered by it. If it is too hot in the house they don't like it and they won't settle down.

Now that they are getting older they like to be in the house more often so they are in now most every evening and night. They go out in the morning and come back in when I get home from work.

Being from Michigan I know that in the summer our houses are cooler than outside and in the winter they are warmer. Doubt Wisconsin is much different. Embry wanting in to be outside now that it is getting colder outside (and warmer inside) makes perfect sense.

We had such a hot summer this year! My two only went outside to go potty and came STRAIGHT back in! Now that it's cooling off they really want to be outside during the day. I let them out a little while ago and I'm sure when I head out for the day and offer to let them back in they will politely decline. lol

They still want to be inside at night though. They are a little too used to having a nice soft bed to lay in! (or a mommy to lay on TOP of!)

so Embry is an indoor dog, usually won't spend more then 3-4 hours a day outside. Since it's gotten cooler out, he has been wanting to go out at night, which is driving me nuts!!

I'm all up for him being outside, but it's 35F outside right now!!!! Almost freezing! And he's whining at the back door! :angry:

do your sibes do this when winter starts approaching?

Agree that there might be something out there like maybe a rabbit or squirrel, but in all rights, a husky loves the winter (except for the couple here that don't!) Stormy used to go out and stay out, sometimes all night when it was below zero and unless I put the leash on her to bring her in, she wouldn't come. These guys love the cooler weather and I have a feeling snow is going to be their favorite!

• 3 weeks later...