When did you let your puppy fight his own battles with your other dog?

snssewell

There comes a time when the natural puppy protection plan runs out :lol:. Zihna's ran out a while back but I was still protecting her if Whisper got to grumpy with her just because he is a pretty big pooch and Zihna is so tiny. Lately though I been letting her fight her own battles since I have to say she is pretty bad when it comes to Whisper and I guess she has to learn her boundaries/place at some point. But since she is a little bigger now I am not so worried about her anymore. Did you protect your pup when they were little or did you just let them work it out from the start? Just curious.

I also tend to let them fight their own battles - under supervision. They do need to learn boundaries. The one dog I have that the older dogs let get away with everything, is today a brat. I suspect they now regret being so nice, LOL! biggrin.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine are a month apart in age, so were puppies together. I let them sort each other out, but we haven't had any serious disagreements yet.

I haven't had puppies in a long time, but now have 2 rescues that are within the same age range (we don't know exact birth dates for either), and have been told both are around 4 years old. Very different backgrounds. Jackson lived at least the last three years tied out in an urban front yard, thus pulling is status quo and even a good jerk with a choke doesn't help. Andy has had 5 homes. He was impounded after supposedly killing a cat. We don't have the whole story, and also don't have cats....allergic! He went from impound to foster, to adoption then returned to foster, and then to us. This is the sweetest and most calm husky I've ever met, when he's alone! Andy has been with us longer, but the first meet and greet they played like Huskies and appeared to "get along." A good match we thought, and know there are never any guarantees, though neither has ever had a pack. Initially the ride home in the car was so calm we felt blessed. They did okay the first night. After about a week I started wondering if we'd made a huge mistake, but to get to the answer....unless true aggression, with bared teeth and barking/growling happened, we never interrupted. They are now together about 3 weeks (i'd have to look at the time lines to know for sure) and I would say that 98% of the time we do not have to get involved. My concern is always what happens when I'm not here, but that isn't very often right now! Sometimes Jackson will just go upstairs and sleep on our bed and Andy lays on the pillow in the Family Room. So since they are about the same size, but different temperaments, when they play, the play Husky and unless Andy is losing the game, they figure it out and then eventually end up snuggling together...head to tail! I'd say unless there is growling or biting, you are probably okay.The go from this [ATTACH]6545.IPB[/ATTACH] to this [ATTACH]6546.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-2509-13585957169269_thumb.jpg

post-2509-1358595716981_thumb.jpg

Right now my pup is only allowed supervised time with the adult dogs. I allow them to correct her so long as its justified (ie if she started biting at their face first). The first few days Jill was going after her without any reason at all (she even went after her while i was holding puppy in my arms) so of course thee I intervened and corrected Jill. Now they are pals but when puppy chomps down too hard on her ear I let Jill do the correcting.

Granted my 3 are all very puppy-savvy and know how to limit their corrections. They understand they dont have to give a full on growl and snap over soemthing minor and even if a nip is required, they are softer than they would be on each other.